Motorhome Insurance

darcywick

I have just changed to Comfort after many years with Saga.

I have ( fortunately ) not had to call on their services so cannot give you any indication of how helpful they are in the event of a claim.

I found them pleasant to deal with over the telephone ( not a call centre in India !! ) and they were very efficient in arranging my cover.

Just to add , they did save me £140 on my previous Saga quote on like for like cover !! Obviously there are a number of factors that come into play with quotes, and your individual circumstances will differ to mine!

My Comfort Policy is underwritten by Aviva Insurance UK Ltd if it helps!

I am in the process of renewing with Caravan Guard for the 4th successive year. Never had a claim but other people have said they had no problems. Recovery (no limit on size of van) is included.

My main reason for renewing is that they do not take the mickey by putting up your premium for no reason. $ years ago, the premium was £277. This year it is £310.

European cover is extra (£42) and they will give European cover on vans up to 21 years old but it is a bit pricy for an old van (£105).

If you decide on Comfort, be aware that they do not cover your MH when in a dealer or garage for service or repair. There is a long thread on another forum about a lady who had her Fiat based MH stolen from a Fiat dealer & then discovered she had no insurance.

She is now, many weeks later, in the throes of legal action against the Fiat dealer.

This has been discussed on here recently, see here:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20575&posts=25

That is really frightening as I have had my m/home (now safely back with me) in a French garage for over a week (he did lock it inside at night). I was with Caravan Guard until I found out by accident that I was not insured abroad unless I was sleeping in it every night (no good to me with a property) so I moved over to Saga who assured me I would be. However, I did not ask if I would be insured at a garage etc. Maybe this applies to many insurances? The problem is that they do not put everything in the small print.

Incidentally, when my husband was alive we were insured with Comfort and found them excellent to deal with but now that I am the only driver their premiums are sky high for me.

I hqve been with Comfort for several years and found them helpful although I have not needed to claim as yet!

I have home insurance and also car and travel plus breakdown recovery all with them so if we have problem there is only one office to deal with.

I wouldn't say they are the cheapest but not out of the way.

Stuart

Hi Darcywick & welcome to the forum.

There has also been another recent thread relating to Insurance which will be of interest to you.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=21100&posts=22

We recently changed from CaravanGuard to Comfort.

In the June 2010 Insurance Survey, the following Companies include Self Build cover & minimum age limits were either 23 or 25.

www.sureterm.com

www.adrianflux.co.uk

www.motorhomedirectinsurance.co.uk

www.coversure.co.uk

www.comfortinsurance.co.uk

www.nfumutual.co.uk

www.caravanwise.co.uk

www.shieldtotalinsurance.co.uk

www.towergatebakers.co.uk

www.whittleseyinsurance.co.uk

www.clubcareinsurance.co.uk (C&CC)

www.campton.co.uk

www.footmanjames.co.uk

www.crusaderinsurance.co.uk

www.scenicinsurance.co.uk

www.caravanclub.co.uk

Not listed in any particular order.

darcywick - 2010-10-17 12:39 PM

My Insurance is due for renewal

Has anybody had experience of COMFORT motorhome insurance

We have been with Comfort since December 2006. Very good service.

Yes I have had to claim when the Safari room and awning were blown over the top of the van at Tan Hill.

I have had two breakdown callouts for a broken Fanbelt then broken Fanbelt Tensioner. Both of these handled very well even though the vehicle is 4600kg unladen and 7.1m long.

We have Fulltiming cover for UK and the continent. Premiums for this are not cheap.

John

My insurance renewal withh CC (NIG) has now arrived

Last year £196 this year £621 the only change was Compass Avantguard 2 litre to Carado Ford 2.2 litre (less than$40k)

They are taking the mickey

Think I will give Caravan Guard a try, not the cheapest but only £290

It seems to me that all premuims have increased alarmingly. Re my car insurance, Citroen C3 Saga renewal came in just over £300, a rise of 50%. I do less than 3k miles a year, have a very long no claims bonus and have the use of two other vehicles so it is only used for a few months a year. My m/home is also insured with Saga and the other vehicle is insured in France.

I decided to go on one of the "compare" sites and they all came out much dearer, some over £600!!

(also posted on "New Motorhome" thread)

Hawcara - 2010-10-19 1:54 PM

Without being too nosey, what is a reasonable quote for motorhome cover?

If you can get hold of a June 2010 copy of Practical Motorhome, they did a survey based on two Insurance scenarios across 23 Insurance providers & listing the main elements of cover.

They also give a checklist to follow.

OOI

Safeguard were the most expensive for scenario 1 & 2nd most expensive for scenaio 2.

Comfort lowest for scenario 1, expensive for scenario 2.

Range of quotes

Scenario 1 = £162.00 to £574.25

Scenario 2 = £189.00 to £811.48

As Martyn said it will all depend on the level of cover & what your requirements are, plus location, value of motorhome, etc., etc..

Editted to add

Full timing was not covered by the scenarios.

I was with "another well known company" but moved to comfort in june and saved about £200 didnt get breakdown with it but no probs cos got it through C&CC and there was a 6K (I think) per annum mileage limit. Had no claims or need to call them over anything so cant advise on after care etc etc but seems an ok company.

Archived