camos crank up aghhhh!!! Quality signal

chris

Hi, We have same aerial and provided you aim at correct satellite, there is no problem here. Are you using a Sky box, or some other box. Sky box wont give quality readout if it is not on correct satellite (in my experience)

Also sky box is slow to respond after making an adjustment. and I have found that the signal strength meter at alleged correct direction, is sometimes misleading. I have several time been utterly convinced of correct azimuth, and peaked on elevation, only fo find that a change of elevation of one complete turn up or down will result in success.

Correct satellite will show 07d2 as correct signal, but other satellites have a different identity. and will give good strength but no quality.

Has the aerial ever been shown to work correctly? If so then it must most likely be a directional or elevation problem.

best of luck

tonyg3nwl

Have you actually tuned in any stations yet. The signal quality is usually based on the channel you have selected.

Had this exact same problem with a neighouring camper's system..he had not yet tuned in any stations. Doing a tuning scan worked and up came the signal quality. Another issue which arose with my own dish was pointing at wrong satellite. A good idea is to make sure the reciever works 1st by using on a known good sat dish set up. Then try it in van. Also make sure you have a very clear view south to the satellites without any trees, hills or buildings anywhere near possibly in the way.

The azimuth is the rotation of the LNB in the dish mount, as you go east or west it needs to be rotated from the horizontal position, either the LNB in the mount or the whole dish to maximise the signal. There will probably be a limited amount of electronic adjustment you can do on the receiver which you need to make use of sometimes to allow for van not being level or depending on geographical location.

peter - 2010-10-17 11:27 PM

It's the vertical angle of the face of the dish to the satellite.

This would be the inclination or vertical angle of the dish. Its the rotation of the dish/LNB which is the azimuth to line the LNB up with the horizontal or vertical signals from the satellite. As you travel west or east, because of the curvature of the earth the LNB need to be rotated to compensate.

Just as when you travel south the dish needs to be angled up more to point higher in the sky. Hope that makes sense to you now.

I put my avtex tv to "source" and select "AV" tHIS THEN GIVES ME A BLUE screen with no channels or no signal on it. I then press "menu" on the receiver and it gives me a menu. I select astra 2 and point the flat (writing side) of the camos to the south and slightly east right between the lines of astra 2 on the circle that is inside on the roof. The signal is a bout 70-75% but no "quality" no matter how many times we turn it and also turn the whole system on and off and try again. I press the blue scan botton but after scanning get no cahnnels as quality is "0"

What am I doing wrong?

Is it possible that the dish has been fitted wrong? Dont think so as i receive a signal?

Chris

Hi again. Chris, I think from what you are saying, that you are not connecting tv to satellite receiver, my Avtec has to be set to Digital not AV. Then connect scart lead from output on satellite box to scart socket on rear of Avtek TV . Ensure your earial lead from satellite dish is connected to satellite socket on digibox (thats the small screw threaded connector. (via your signal strength meter) (you do have one dont you???)

Once connected correctly, Find North using your compas (you have one?) remembering to use compass outside the van to ensure a good directional reading . Inside the van, first set the scale dial so that the N pointer aims towards the North direction you just determined. Then crank the handle about 7 turns to wind the aerial up from the resting position, then pull the large knob down and rotate the aerial to the direction shown on the scale for Astra 2

Is you signal finder showing any lights or is it a meter type. Either type should generate a high pitch whistle getting higher in pitch as you rotate and elevate the aerial on to the correct heading.. You must rotate and crank up or down a little at a time for the highest pitch and largerst meter reading (most leds lit) and reduce the meter sensitivity as you get closer to the correct setting.

Once you have done this, then you should see on the TV some sort of menu from the digibox. (sky boxes you have to press buttons on the controller to go to menu 4,6 )

If you only get your blue screen, then the tv is not getting any signal from the digibox., so you tv setting is incorrect,, not looking at digibox.. Check wiring from digibox to tv (scart connectors) and check source selection on AVTEK tv, Check also power is getting to digibox and it is switched on. There must be a menu option for the digibox to enable it to be set up, and ultimately scan the satellite

Can you try the digibox on you home tv???

tonyg3nwl

1st of all seems to be I am confused as to what azimuth is. It does appear to be the angle of the dish as you rotate it about a vertical axis. being in effect the compass direction it points in. Strange , that does not make sense to me but may be a term which has been atopted for direction by users. (edit - appears what I have described as azimuth may be known known as polarisation tilt)

Anyway, I think you may be pointing the dish at the wrong satellite. Try moving the dish about 9 degrees to east and I think up very slightly and see if you get a signal.

Chris, if you are using a scart lead between your reciever and the tv you should be selecting scart if your system is the same as mine.

chris - 2010-10-18 8:00 AM

I put my avtex tv to "source" and select "AV" tHIS THEN GIVES ME A BLUE screen with no channels or no signal on it. I then press "menu" on the receiver and it gives me a menu. I select astra 2 and point the flat (writing side) of the camos to the south and slightly east right between the lines of astra 2 on the circle that is inside on the roof. The signal is a bout 70-75% but no "quality" no matter how many times we turn it and also turn the whole system on and off and try again. I press the blue scan botton but after scanning get no cahnnels as quality is "0"

What am I doing wrong?

Is it possible that the dish has been fitted wrong? Dont think so as i receive a signal?

Chris

Hi Again Chris, In my post at 8.49 I said you must switch tv to Digital,,,, sorry that was wrong, I have just checked and mine has to be switched to scart. apologies. when it goes to scart, if the digibox is powered on it should then display some sort of welcome screen saying it is displaying digibox menu or similar. Does yours get that far.?

From there, you have to use the digibox controller probably to select a satellite as it is not a sky box. This might entail entering your location latitude and longitude, .. What is make and model of your digibox???

tonyg3nwl

Chris - with all the conflicting info your head must be spinning.

I use an Avtex tv with my two satellite receivers and you're correct in thinking that the Avtex input needs to be set to AV. However I suspect, like one of the other posters, that you're not pointing towards Astra 2. Astra 1 is more likely as it has a strong signal. Try setting your receiver to Astra 1 and see if you get a picture. If you do, you need to rotate the Camos about 9 degrees anticlockwise and slightly alter the vertical angle.

Good luck!

Roly

ps I used to use a manual dish which was very hit and miss. Sometimes it took 5 seconds and other times 5 minutes or more. I've now installed a Camos Dome and it's the best thing I ever did. Push the button and 1 minute later we're watching tv.

rolyk - 2010-10-18 12:23 PM

Chris - with all the conflicting info your head must be spinning.

I use an Avtex tv with my two satellite receivers and you're correct in thinking that the Avtex input needs to be set to AV. However I suspect, like one of the other posters, that you're not pointing towards Astra 2. Astra 1 is more likely as it has a strong signal. Try setting your receiver to Astra 1 and see if you get a picture. If you do, you need to rotate the Camos about 9 degrees anticlockwise and slightly alter the vertical angle.

Good luck!

Roly

ps I used to use a manual dish which was very hit and miss. Sometimes it took 5 seconds and other times 5 minutes or more. I've now installed a Camos Dome and it's the best thing I ever did. Push the button and 1 minute later we're watching tv.

What he says!

Using a manual dish and what I suspect is the same or a similar FTA receiver to Chris, I generally find I hit Astra1 easier than Astra2 (simply because I manouevre the dish from S to E).

Symptoms if the receiver is set for Astra2 are as set out - good strength, no quality.

As above, once you've tuned but can't get anything, easiest way to check is to set the receiver to Astra1 and check if you can get a channel on there (assuming you've got a pre-tuned channel list for Astra1).

Further 9 degrees East and then slightly up for Astra2.

(Another thing does occur to me though - my receiver gives a base signal strength well above zero, even if it is pointed at nothing - not anywhere near 75% though - you are seeing the strength go from much lower up to 75% as you rotate the dish? If so, unless there is a major problem, it looks very much like you're pointing at a different satellite to that selected on the receiver).

Totally agree with Roly - looking at Astra 1, hence why you need to rotate 9 degrees to left and alter angle of inclination. You should pick up the Astra2 quite easily and if you are not locking onto Astra 1 then you probably have some tree branches or buildings in the way. This is why I said earlier make sure you have a clear open view of the satellite direction.

If you rotate away from current position and strength reduces then your dish is working.

tonyg3nwl - 2010-10-17 5:28 PM

Correct satellite will show 07d2 as correct signal, but other satellites have a different identity. and will give good strength but no quality.

If you are using a Sky box, and geting a 75% strength signal, you should be getting some form of id from the satellite. if not it could be a wiring problem, earth wire touching the core on the LNB connection (either end)

If you are getting an ID stream, its just you is pointing at the wrong satellite for Sky.

(On most sky boxes, the ID displayed is shown below the signal strength, signal quality items of the system setup menu) any other id than that shown above, means all is working ! (thats good news !) Then its just a matter of finding Sky !

Good luck,

Rgds

Once again Chris, I offer further thoughts.

As you are using free to air satellite box no doubt it is set up for european satellites which have different technical characteristics to the uk sky transmissions. I refer to bit rates and FEC settings.. the following link will take you to Lyngsat which gives the technical parameters for Freesat transmissions on Astra 2D

http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

I appreciate this may be gobblegook for you unless you are technically inclined, but such things as FEC and bit rates may be different for european transmissions, and the uk data may not be built into the box you are using., hence even though you get a strong signal, assuming you have the right satellite, the box might not understand the data format of the transmissions, hence saying no quality.

A technical person could possibly re programm the box with uk data if that is the problem, but unless you can say specifically what the box make and type is I cant be certain.

I assume that as it is not a sky box, you realise it cant decode sky transmissions, hence no quality. It ought to be able to receive Freesat, if the data base is set up for uk, not continental use.

Hope this doesnt confuse you even more.

tonyg3nwl

spelling error corrections

Thanks to all for replies. I am going to print this off and start all over again. Will have to get into van but work limiting me at the moment. As soon as I try it I will let you know.

I have the new avtex 10tv which has only 1 socket for a lead which leads to 3 phono jacks to the receiver. I connect the receiver via the screw in arial to the screw type aerial in the wall which comes from the dish. Using the Aldi free to air box.

Wish me luck

Chris

Radio hams understand much more than ordinary mortals about the functions of radio and satellite receivers and we can put you to all sorts of agony to still not get you the correct format. Can I suggest you buy at v.small cost a Maplin box with 128 sats built in and then you can on start-up select the sats you want and swinging the dish round you will see the bars for the reception flick on.

Then fine tune the signal and go for a FTA all networks and channels search and leave it to do its thing. If youget one with a USB out you can put a separate hard drive and get pause and search facilities. You can get a built-in hard drive for a bit more outlay.Then sort out a favorites list so you have your programmes in close consecutive order.

If that fails drive round your local area and look for a large aeriel array blocking the sun and ask for help. Mine is 60 feet up and can be seen miles away.

chris - 2010-10-18 4:31 PM

Thanks to all for replies. I am going to print this off and start all over again. Will have to get into van but work limiting me at the moment. As soon as I try it I will let you know.

I have the new avtex 10tv which has only 1 socket for a lead which leads to 3 phono jacks to the receiver. I connect the receiver via the screw in arial to the screw type aerial in the wall which comes from the dish. Using the Aldi free to air box.

Wish me luck

Chris

Chris,

there's a lot of over-complicated advice being quoted on here. (though when I re-read what I've posted below, I think I may be a bit guilty myself :-S ). I think it is relevant to your specific receiver though, which is similar to mine.

It is most likely that your installation is OK, but you are simply not aiming the dish correctly, or the various 'channels' aren' pre-programmed in correctly.

I've been through the same learning curve with my first (similar) kit, and nearly gave up, but now it takes me a matter of seconds to set up.

1. If you can see the receiver menu on your TV (which is implied, since you are using it and can see the signal strength), then the connection between the receiver and the TV is OK.

2. If the signal strength is 75% *wherever* you point the dish, then there is probably a problem. If it goes up to 75% as you attempt to find a satellite (by pointing the dish in the approximate correct direction), but the signal quality remains very low, and you don't receive the selected channel, then you are probably latching onto a satellite other than that you have selected on the receiver (this is a common happening, and displays just these symptoms).

3. If you have a comag/silvercrest receiver (the usual one from ALDI) these usually come pre-programmed with channels on a selection of satellites. This helps with both aligning the dish, and identifying which satellite you're on if you get the wrong one.

4. To tune mine, on the receiver I normally select Astra 28.2E, look through the channels that are pre-programmed, select a BBC1 one (****probably BBC1 London, but not good at the moment, see point 7 below***), press "INFO" and turn on the audible alignment signal by pressing "1". You'll get a "no-signal" message on the TV unless you're already on the correct satellite. I then move the dish (obviously to where I think 28.2E is) to maximise the audible signal.

5 If this doesn't result in the selected BBC1 channel being displayed, (the "no-signal" remains on the screen) it's most probably the wrong satellite. Most common is ASTRA1 at 19.2E. You can check this by leaving the dish asis, but switching the receiver to ASTRA1 and flicking through the pre-programmed channels to see if you're getting one of those (Note, channels do move frequencies from time-to-time, so try a few channels in case some of the pre-programmed ones have moved). If it isn't ASTRA1, you can repeat with the other satellite locations. If you identify the satellite youve 'captured', it gives you a good clue on how far to move the dish to get ASTRA2 (and the vertical alignment of ASTRA2 is slightly above ASTRA1).

6 This isn't as easy if the receiver isn't already pre-programmed with channels (I would be surprised if it weren't though). If it's the same as mine, it should be possible to do a 'blind search' which will populate all channels it finds on a particular satellite (Using the 'SCAN' function). IMO this is safest when you know what satellite you are pointing at (and if you want to be sure, you could hook the box up to an existing Sky dish - which points at 28.2E, and populate using that).

7 One *very* current complication (which won't have contributed to your issues to date, but may when you retry) is that a number of BBC frequencies changed last night (getting ready for BBC1 HD). Hence, in step 4 above, it isn't sensible to select a pre-programmed BBC1 station - it may have moved since the parameters were set. I would suggest using Sky News, or something like that, in step4.

8 Once you've got a transmission from ASTRA2 (I'm sure you eventually will (lol) ) , since the receiver doesn't automatically re-program, you will be best (without moving the dish) doing a SCAN as in step 6 above, or (because of last night's moves) you will not be able to find all the BBC channels. (It's always best to do a rescan every now and then to catch whatever has moved - SKY and Freesat boxes do changes automatically, most FTA boxes don't).

HTH

hI

The only thing I would add is as a result of experience, start at east and move south. The first sat you find is the one you want. Someone further up the thread has said this but no one seems to have cottoned on. Everything else which has been said has a lot of truth in it which has been gained from experience but is very hard to follow if you have not been there. The last post, and I cannot remember who it was, has given you the perfect run, apart from, in my view, start from the east and travel south. Astra 2 comes first and Astra one is second then you get into a load of Sats. The only other thing I would add is:- first test the box in your home assuming you have sky or a dish fed system. This proves the box. The connection between your box and TV would seem to be ok from what has been said above. In the UK start with the dish straight up and down, forget the real words, then move from east to south. As soon as you get any sort of quality then you can experiement with the angle of the dish. Select a channel, press info followed by one will give you sound which is very useful and at times you may feel it has disappeared but when you get on the sat it comes back, normally followed by the sound of people talking. keep going, you WILL get there and once you have you will wonder what all the fuss was about. Good luck.

Art

Archived