Sat dish to gearbox connection?

terryW

Just purchased a used van that once had a sat system and probably has a connection to the gearbox (yes dreaded x250) found a few wires that have been disconnected one of which may be what I am looking for.

Does anyone know where the connection is made to the gearbox and is it open or closed circuit when the vehicle is out of gear?

I can only imagine it was connecting to the speed sensor on the gearbox so if the vehicle is moved the dish will fold down automatically. This would be preferable to using the ignition switched feed as sometimes engine will be started to charge batteries or indeed move vehicle to get a better signal, so only folds down when speed is above a certain amount.

There is no speed sensor on the X2/50 as far as I'm aware. The speedo is driven by a signal generated from the ABS system to give an averaged speed across the four wheels. I can't imagine what connection other than speed signal would be connected to the gearbox. What sat system is it?

D.

Still trying to find out what was fitted, all am left with is a few wires and the base plate on the roof. I have been told that a connection is made to gearbox so that when the vehicle is put in gear and I suspect ignition on that the dish folds down to prevent driving away with it raised.

This could be just sales talk and a nicety that's not worth the trouble. It may just be a ploy so I get them to install the system and when I arrive they say oops sorry can't connect to the gearbox on your vehicle!

Or perhaps they install a microswitch on the gear mechanism?

I will have a closer look at the existing wires with a meter and wiggle the gear lever to see if a connection already exists. The original supplier of the vehicle has no record of fitting a system so it may have been a DIY job but I suspect not.

Thanks for responding

Frankkia - 2010-10-18 10:49 AM

I you have a plate left on the roof and a wiring loom it is probably from an Oyster system.

The other end of the loom should have a connection for the "D+" on the alternator (not the gear box) in order to switch the system to lower the dish.

My Oyster system is wired this way. As soon as the ignition light goes out the dish will begin to retract. On my van I need to rev the engine to do this so it is still possible to start up and move on tick-over without the dish retracting.

John

Archived