TESCO - Important changes to their Deals - read this!!!

Mel B

Mel B - 2010-11-10 10:36 PM

Forgot to say yesterday ... be careful what card you pay the balance of Eurotunnel costs with!

I got my booking done with the nice French lady, quoted my credit card number, and then the expiry date ... nope, no good, it expires the month BEFORE the travel date and, as you have to use that card to 'prove' who you are when you turn up at the Chunnel, obviously it wouldn't be valid anymore, so I had to use a debit card instead that didn't expire until well after the travel date (the don't charge for using a credit card though).

Thought I'd mention this as some people may find that all of their cards (debit and credit) expire before their travel dates so you'd need to get a new one issued BEFORE you could book your crossing - could be fun if you've left it to last minute to use your Eurotunnel vouchers! 8-)

At the end of October I booked a crossing with Eurotunnel for next May, returning July using a creditcard for the £2 balance. The expiry date on the card was 11/10, ie the end of this month and just over a month after my booking. But I had no problem at all, nothing was mentioned about that at all.

Saying that we've never had to produce our creditcard on check-in anyway, it's normally number plate recognition.

Wonder if you came across a French jobsworth....

Ina.

Petra - 2010-11-11 5:17 PM

HI Mel

We have never used Tesco vouchers for deals and not really sure what is involved. Am I right in thinking that if you want to use them you need to convert your vouchers to rewards vouchers and then they are valid for 6 months but can be used for bookings after that date. For instance if we wanted to used them for Eurotunnel at 4x rate we would need to swap for rewards vouchers and then book before May. How long after that date could you travel up to. We are not sure what we are going to do next year re travelling and may not go to Europe until September.

You have to travel withing 12 months of the date you actually MAKE the booking, so if you ring up and book a crossing on 10th May 2011 to go out in September 2011 you're fine, you've actually got until the following 9th May 2012 to go and come back again, so even ifyou find you have to change your plans you can push your booking further along and if the cost of the crossing is the same you won't have anything to pay, if it is more expensive you have to pay the difference; they don't charge an admin fee for actually making changes.

Ina - 2010-11-11 5:46 PM

At the end of October I booked a crossing with Eurotunnel for next May, returning July using a creditcard for the £2 balance. The expiry date on the card was 11/10, ie the end of this month and just over a month after my booking. But I had no problem at all, nothing was mentioned about that at all.

Saying that we've never had to produce our creditcard on check-in anyway, it's normally number plate recognition.

Ina.

I have been told before that sometimes you may be asked to show the credit card you made the payment with if there are any queries. I've never been asked to show my credit card either, but I would rather be safe than sorry. As we were paying £62 on the card, plus the Tesco Vouchers, maybe it's because it wasn't just a few quid? Just got to remember to take the debit card with us!

Guest pelmetman

One thing to remember with the Tesco vouchers and booking on Eurotunnel is you can only use them going from Folkstone to Calais and not the other way round.

Sue

Just to clarify for the 'novices', what Sue means is that you can only book a single from Folkestone to Calais, or a return with the first journey from Folkestone to Calais. You cannot do a single from Calais to Folkestone or a return starting at Calais. :-S

I think that makes sense! 8-)

Mel B - 2010-11-11 6:20 PM

Ina - 2010-11-11 5:46 PM

Ina.

I have been told before that sometimes you may be asked to show the credit card you made the payment with if there are any queries. I've never been asked to show my credit card either, but I would rather be safe than sorry. As we were paying £62 on the card, plus the Tesco Vouchers, maybe it's because it wasn't just a few quid? Just got to remember to take the debit card with us!

Perhaps you're right, the amount you had to pay was quite a bit more than my £2. As it happens we'll still be using the same credit card anyway as we have now got new ones valid until 2013. But it was something that certainly had never crossed my mind, although as others have pointed out, if you have your card, God forbid, stolen and got a replacement in the meantime, you wouldn't have a card with the same number on it either. Suppose in that case you should notify Eurotunnel.

Ina.

Re my post earlier copied here:-

I have checked the information on the Tesco website re Stena Line bookings and can't find the answers to the following.

Does anyone know if you can use Tesco travel tokens against Stena Line ferries operating in Scandinavia?

We are planning a trip to Sweden and Norway and thinking of using the Harwich - Hook of Holland route, then driving up to Fredrikeshaven, Denmark and taking the Stena ferry to Gothenburg or Oslo. Can we use Tesco tokens on either of these two routes?

I got the following email from Stenaline that answers my question:-

Good Morning

Thank you for your mail.

The Tesco vouchers are only valid on our Irish Sea routes and Harwich –Hoek van Holland. We are afraid that they cannot be used on our Scandinavian routes.

Regards

Paul Newbiggin

Stena Line Harwich

:-(

Autocruising - 2010-11-17 12:21 PM

Also note Tesco are changing their points value as from 5/12/10 for some items. :-D

What do you mean by "changing their points value"? That some deals are costing more than they do now?

Ina.

Mel B - 2010-11-17 8:52 PM

I suggest you read the first part of this thread which explains it ... and the reason I started it in the first place. :-D

That was precisely what I was going to suggest to Autocruising, because that was the point of the thread in the first place. I understand exactly what is happening with the Tesco points.

As I only ever use my points for Eurotunnel I have no knowledge of whether other Deals work in different ways, so then I wondered whether some Deals may have a fixed (points)price and whether they were actually going to cost more in points value in some way.

Ina.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a last reminder that today is the last day to exchange your Tesco vouchers for Deals Rewards vouchers (on line) at the rate of 4 x face value, after today you'll only get 3 x face value.

That means that for every £10 of vouchers at present you get £40 worth of deals, tomorrow the same £10 of vouchers will only be worth £30 worth of deals.

Get swapping!!! 8-)

:-D

Archived