draining down water etc.

deerhound

Owned motorhome since last week and enjoyed first trip up North Scotland, is there a drain tap/valve on fresh water tank or should I just pump it in to sink then drain waste water tank, should I put some anti-freeze in waster water tank via sink? Thank you for any help. :-D

Hi Deerhound

It would help if you say which Motorhome you have for a specific answer.

Freshwater Tank

Commonly there is an access cap (some are screwed, others a push fit) on the top of the freshwater tank, opening this will give access to a bung / plug which is simply lifted out. Once drained leave the taps partly open & put the plug back in position.

Your Water heaterwill also need to be drained, some have a "Frost" valve which opens automatically at a set temperature.

Wastewater Tank

Drain this also via the normal outlet, rinse through & I leave the outlet open. I also leave the sink plugs in place & also have plugs on the shower outlet(s).

Leaving taps / outlets open eliminates ice forming if there is any residual water left in the system.

As always there are variations on a theme, but if you have the Operating Manual there should be some information in that.

Mardee - 2010-10-18 10:18 PM We had a problem a couple of years ago with residual water in the shower head freezing and cracking when it thawed. We now unscrew the shower head and take it indoors during winter Margaret

If you keep all taps open after draining down this will allow any residual water to expand and should not crack pipes or shower heads etc.

Hi,

If you really want to be sure you have removed the water its worth blowing down the taps and perhaps the shower hose as sometimes water can get trapped which can freeze if we get the minus temperatures we had last winter.

I found this out to my cost on my narrow boat ? just leaving the drain (cocks) points and taps open and the shower head removed didn't work I still got a split 15mm copper pipe, for the first time in 17 years.

hope that helps.

May I please step in here and ask a related question.

I read in the manuals today that the flush water tank on my Nuevo should be drained fully before travelling, to prevent possible spillage.

Is this necessary given that I don't think it's anywhere near full?

I emptied the fresh and waste water tanks before returning home, but never gave this a thought.

nuevoboy - 2010-10-19 11:13 PM

I read in the manuals today that the flush water tank on my Nuevo should be drained fully before travelling, to prevent possible spillage.

Is this necessary given that I don't think it's anywhere near full?

I emptied the fresh and waste water tanks before returning home, but never gave this a thought.

Opinion seems to vary on this.

It's quite some time since I had a 'van with a separate flush tank, but I never bothered draining down for travelling (only as a frost precaution). It was probably an earlier model than yours, however - it would have been a full 'bench', rather than the swivelling version.

I believe that on the newer versions *some* people have experienced leakage, as the water sloshes around during travelling. Maybe you should just keep an eye on things, and if there is a leak, change to draining it down. (The main issue with this, I suspect, is whether any spillage is going to be obvious, or whether it could be doing it unseen - internal leaks and caravan construction materials don't go well together).

I'm sure someone with a similar model will be along shortly to describe their practice.

Archived