Medical/repatriation Insurance

John J Thompson

I have been trying to locate sensible health/repatriation insurance should anything go wrong on our trip to Spain starting in November to May.

I got a quote through the C&CC of £100 each which we paid but we had to then contact their Medical Screening line.

After I gave them my medical history they wanted another £537.97 for me because I have Hypertension (well controlled) and COPD (controlled by inhalers) and the trip was to last 6 months. I didn't bother giving them Joans medical history.

Does anyone know of a repartiation/medical cover at a reasonable price or do people just risk going without this cover.

I have read Dons excellent article on EHIC. Our cards expire October 2011

John

John,

Have a look at these 2 sites I got a good quote for my wife from AllClear and for my daughter for her tour of the Far East for a year from Holidaysafe.

Both have medical conditions, Holidaysafe were very good with their Medical Screening line.

https://www.allcleartravel.co.uk/cgi-bin/lansaweb?procfun+msdweb01+msdw009+alc

http://www.holidaysafe.co.uk/

Good Luck

Dave

John,

As an after thought The backpacker my be ok for you as you are only interested in the medical cover.

Dave

Guest JudgeMental
If you cant find decent priced cover why bother? European hospitals are probably better then ours now anyway. Different if flying somewhere outside the EU

John please ignore Eddies advice here. Europeon hospitals may be better, but as someone who has used both I am unconvinced about that. It is however not the point, if you risk going without and things go wrong you could end up with a massive bill, If you cannot find cheaper just pay up. I would take a close look at what EHIC covers and it is limited.

Guest JudgeMental

Perhaps a little naive of me......but I am not particularly risk adverse, and if the worse comes to the worse, Mrs M can have me cremated and bring me back in her handbag.....

There where some threads regards this with recommended insurers earlier on this year, as because my medication changed I was refused world cover... I had a quick ring around at the time and it was expensive so I decided I would just do it per trip nearer the time....

But Rupert is right, I dont think the EHIC covers everything or extended trips....

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/staying-safe/travel-insurance/ehic

and here is a thread with some recommendations, they where cheaper then Columbus at the time. Saga quote was not to bad

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20440&posts=12

Hi,

Its worth looking at ADAC as they include a level of repatriation (have there own medical/hospital planes i believe) within there breakdown cover not sure about the length of time it covers for may be limited to 90 days but its worth checking.

I have often thought it could be used as a possible add on to the EHIC card, as from what I have read the main reason for taking out full medical cover over just using the EHIC provision, has always been stated as the EHIC doesn't provide for repatriation.

Hope that helps and make sense

John Thompson - 2010-10-19 12:22 PM

I have been trying to locate sensible health/repatriation insurance should anything go wrong on our trip to Spain starting in November to May.

I got a quote through the C&CC of £100 each which we paid but we had to then contact their Medical Screening line.

After I gave them my medical history they wanted another £537.97 for me because I have Hypertension (well controlled) and COPD (controlled by inhalers) and the trip was to last 6 months. I didn't bother giving them Joans medical history.

Does anyone know of a repartiation/medical cover at a reasonable price or do people just risk going without this cover.

John

Hi John,

We have the same problem with pre existing medical conditions we got cover with https://www.fastweb.co.uk/miaonline/index3.php?targetPage=

Safe travelling.

Don

In case of RTA we would be covered by our Comfort Breakdown Insurance. I was looking for just medical and repatriation if Joan or myself took so ill that we needed to return to the UK for treatment.

We have no timetables to stick to. We will have a supply of necessary medicines with us for the 6 months we intended to be out of the UK.

The C&CC cover also includes luggage, cancellation and pet cover which I did not need. They seem to want to bundle things together, instead of offering simple cover.

John

The insurance is nothing to do with CCC as they are brokering for Europa or whatever. You should sign up if staying more than 3 months with the Marie and a doctor and perhaps considering the risks you should.

As ex. couriers we got sick of taking people to hospital flying them here there and everywhere because they were too poorly to be doing what they were.

That is what all insurance companies do and make a pile of money into the bargin. I too have to bite the bullet but can only get 3 months pills etc. not 6 and abhor paying out thousands over the years and never claiming, but, am too much of a coward to risk not having it.

Quote:-johnnerontheroad - 2010-10-19 3:21 PM

Would ADAC repatration be to Germany or UK? End Quote

Hi,

I have never spoken to them specifically about the medical repatriation, but when I have discussed the repatriation of the vehicle, they have confirmed its to your country and place of membership, so I see no reason to think it would be any different under medical circumstances.

If you want a definitive answer give them a ring as they will either speak to you in English or get someone who can to speak to you

Hope that helps

Wife almost forgot to remind me that the thread here gave out v. good advice that if you have the other half as driver in the insurance then the insurance company will expect her to drive you back to UK.

Needless to say I am the only driver on the Insurance now. Just a thought!!!

dikyenfo - 2010-10-19 5:20 PM

Wife almost forgot to remind me that the thread here gave out v. good advice that if you have the other half as driver in the insurance then the insurance company will expect her to drive you back to UK.

That is OK and what we would normaly do. But if the absolute worst happend. How would we get the other one back in a box?

Plenty affordable cover for 30, 60, 90 or even 110 days but not for 4 months in Spain plus a month each way taking it easy. Couldn't do it in two parts either as the trip must start and finish in the UK.

John

John Thompson - 2010-10-19 8:56 PM

That is OK and what we would normaly do. But if the absolute worst happend. How would we get the other one back in a box?

Plenty affordable cover for 30, 60, 90 or even 110 days but not for 4 months in Spain plus a month each way taking it easy. Couldn't do it in two parts either as the trip must start and finish in the UK.

John

John,

The link for holidaysafe will cover you for upto365 days, have you tried them?

Dave

johnnerontheroad - 2010-10-19 9:08 PM

John Thompson - 2010-10-19 8:56 PM

John

John,

The link for holidaysafe will cover you for upto365 days, have you tried them?

Dave

Holidaysafe will do 365 days of cover. But only 31 days in any one trip.

John

Don Madge - 2010-10-19 3:44 PM

John Thompson - 2010-10-19 12:22 PM

John

Hi John,

We have the same problem with pre existing medical conditions we got cover with https://www.fastweb.co.uk/miaonline/index3.php?targetPage=

Safe travelling.

Don

Thanks for that link Don I have just had a look and the best quote yet fo a 90 day policy.

Hi,

I am not looking at trying to mislead the insurance people, but if you obtain annual medical cover that say provides a maximum of 90 days at any one time, on a legal point when or what triggers your insurance to stop and start that 90 day period.

Because at the additional prices you have been quoted you could very easily afford to get a plane back to the UK for a short break, the question is, how long would that break have to be for, to allow your insurance 90 day cover to restart.

I would not even think about this problem, if I say, took a round the world cruise which lasted 85 days, and on my return i was invited to go to a friends caravan in Spain for a couple of months, the only thing that would be on my mind is packing for the trip to Spain as, as far as I would be concerned my annual insurance would just restart for the trip to Spain, hope that makes sense.

Why can't you just look at the Spanish trip as 2 separate 89 days holidays, as you can't afford to go for 178 days in one go.

Be interested in any comments ?

Guest JudgeMental

I think to break the trip with a flight home maybe worth investigating. But insurance as we age is a difficult area. The longer you stay away the risk increases significantly, and the price even if you can find a quote (because of the high risk) will be to our minds extortionate from the few willing to insure, unfortunately it is all based of statistics.

I have health problems but have always managed to get a yearly worldwide family cover for resonable money until this year, when they refused to cover me for no apparent reason as my conditions are stable. its like car insurance, that has gone up 40% apparently this year as well.

Just try all the links recommended on here, and make a decision based on that, but one thing if you insist on a 6 month trip it aint going to be cheap!

Would agree with Eddie entirely on this, travel insurance is very age and health related, with good reason. As soon as you reach a certain age insurance is still reasonable until you want to be away for more than thirty days. Cannot agree with Braunston about the flight home, this would certainly cost me personally more than the increase price from 60 to 90 days and could not be bothered anyway. How do they check, well I do not know but guess they could ask for things like ferry times. Would they bother, again do not know but am unwilling to take the risk so I will search for a decent price and pay it. If, in time, it becomes to high or cannot get insurance for time I want to go then I will either restrict my time away or not go. What really gives them heart faliure is when you want to add skiing into the policy, they always restrict this to 17 days in total. I take out an additional season policy for skiing called Carte Neige which is very cheap and no questions asked. Gives me a good discount on my season ski pass as well.

Hi,

There is nothing to agree or disagree with, I was posing a series of questions, at what point does your annual medical cover start and stop and what triggers it.

Surly if someone had a static caravan/apartment/ or motorhome parked in Spain on a site, or any where else, and they chose to only use it for relatively short periods say under 90 days at a time, what would be the problem with annual medical cover for periods of 90 days at a time, that's the real question?

As for flights home some of the budget airlines prices if booked at the right time can be very very low, the question is how long would you need to be home for before your next 90 days start.

If its your tickets that trigger the insurance start and stop dates then wouldn't the airline tickets be sufficient.

rupert123 - 2010-10-20 12:13 PM

Would agree with Eddie entirely on this, travel insurance is very age and health related, with good reason. As soon as you reach a certain age insurance is still reasonable until you want to be away for more than thirty days. Cannot agree with Braunston about the flight home, this would certainly cost me personally more than the increase price from 60 to 90 days and could not be bothered anyway. How do they check, well I do not know but guess they could ask for things like ferry times. Would they bother, again do not know but am unwilling to take the risk so I will search for a decent price and pay it. If, in time, it becomes to high or cannot get insurance for time I want to go then I will either restrict my time away or not go.

Archived