replacement tyres

bikey

checking around the van today as you do and noticed slight cracking to the side walls on all 4 tyres. date stamp shows manufacture in 44 05,so new tyres needed,anyone any suggestions on tyres to use,michelin not available but continental vanco camping tyres are any other suggestions of tyres used that you would recommend?

I have just had Michelin Agilis Camper and they certainly look very sturdy. I have only driven about 30 miles on them so far but road noise is less and the m/home handles well. I am in France, very near to the Michelin factory, but surprisingly they were more expensive than Iwould have paid in England. I have just Gogled the tyres and I could have had 2 fitted for about £247 whereas I paid about 168€ each. They have to have different pressures to the other Michelin Camper tyres.

It has just dawned on me that I have had to buy 8 new tyres in the last 4 years all actually bought in France -

2006: 2 new tyres on the front

2007: New front tyres had to be replaced as nails picked up on M25 plus 2 back tyres replaced.

2010: 2 front tyres replaced again due to wheel bearing drag

Frightened to add up how much this lot has cost!

thebishbus - 2010-10-20 8:18 AM

Hi Patrica. What are the different tyre pressures ?

:-|

Brian B.

The invoice had a large stamp on it saying 5.5 rear and 4.5 front - I have always had the same pessure front and back but this seems to be ok. Also you have to have metallic valves.

rupert123 - 2010-10-20 10:51 AM

Patricia I fail to see how they can possibly know what your pressures should be, the front seem's high. Also all M/H tyres should have metal valves fitted. Incidently I had to buy car tyres in France last year and the price was much higher than the UK.

Yes, they used to be a lot cheaper but the exchange rate has changed all that.

Re the tyre pressures - as far as I know the instructions came from Michelin direct and I assume they had been given all the details about the m/home. Previously I think I had them at all at about 72 PSI but I am not sure as I rely on advice from fitters.

PS I think the valves are special ones - they certainly look different to those fitted before and to those on the back wheels.

Patricia - 2010-10-20 11:14 AM

rupert123 - 2010-10-20 10:51 AM

Patricia I fail to see how they can possibly know what your pressures should be, the front seem's high. Also all M/H tyres should have metal valves fitted. Incidently I had to buy car tyres in France last year and the price was much higher than the UK.

Yes, they used to be a lot cheaper but the exchange rate has changed all that.

Re the tyre pressures - as far as I know the instructions came from Michelin direct and I assume they had been given all the details about the m/home. Previously I think I had them at all at about 72 PSI but I am not sure as I rely on advice from fitters.

PS I think the valves are special ones - they certainly look different to those fitted before and to those on the back wheels.

Patricia the only way you can get the correct pressures is to weigh the van give the axle weights to the tyre makers and they will then give you their recommended pressures. I am sure using the pressures you have been given is fine but would think with pressures that high on the front it would give poor traction, if van is FWD, and make a hard ride.

I am not sure what has been going on, but it appears pressue has been put on ture manufactures to recommend higher pressures because of te problem of overloading motorhomes.

If you are within your max laden weights you will be very unlikely to need more than 60psi on front and 65 max on rear.

When I fitted Agilis to replace XCs Michelin the recommended presures where actually very much the same.

I think it is crazy the way VOSA and other european safety orgaisations have influenced the Motorhome tyre market to specify the max tyre pressures possible, especially for rear tyres. This is because so many run over weight and from that point of view makes sense. For those of us who know we do not run over weight and have weighed the axles it is crazy to risk reduced grip at the front end when braking. I can assure you when running the front higher than needed it really does skid a lot easier when breaking in the the wet and terrifyingly so when caught out in an emergency.

Brambles - 2010-10-20 1:11 PM

I am not sure what has been going on, but it appears pressue has been put on ture manufactures to recommend higher pressures because of te problem of overloading motorhomes.

If you are within your max laden weights you will be very unlikely to need more than 60psi on front and 65 max on rear.

When I fitted Agilis to replace XCs Michelin the recommended presures where actually very much the same.

I think it is crazy the way VOSA and other european safety orgaisations have influenced the Motorhome tyre market to specify the max tyre pressures possible, especially for rear tyres. This is because so many run over weight and from that point of view makes sense. For those of us who know we do not run over weight and have weighed the axles it is crazy to risk reduced grip at the front end when braking. I can assure you when running the front higher than needed it really does skid a lot easier when breaking in the the wet and terrifyingly so when caught out in an emergency.

Jon some may be but I telephoned Conti only about a month ago and they gave me figures I would believe to be OK because they are the same as they gave me two years ago. They were 48psi front and 65psi rear, so no maximun pressures here.

Michelin Agilis Camper every time now. All 5 fitted for £550 at 'Formula tyres', Lincoln (National firm) 5 mths ago. Brilliant. Much less road noise. better ride. Well worth the money. Found out my old tyres were 9 years old. Did not include tyre valves has they are metal (to withstand the higher psi on my Ford Transit Duetto) visit http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/tech.asp

Regards,

Ian

I have mine filled with 78% nitrogen and is just as good as 100%.

It is all a marketing gimick to part customers with even more money.

We are not aircrafts , nor racing cars with tyres reaching extremely high temperatures.

I'll stick to 78% nitrogen as more readily available for topping up.

edit - can't spell.

duffers - 2010-10-21 8:43 PM

the much vaunted - extremely expensive Michelin Agilis camping car specific get out your money tyres are actually classed as 'summer tyres' hope you're fair weather campers

Michelin Agilis Camping tyres have and Mud and Snow rating.

I do not believe there are any other camping tyres with a M+S rating.

Jon.

duffers - 2010-10-21 8:43 PM

the much vaunted - extremely expensive Michelin Agilis camping car specific get out your money tyres are actually classed as 'summer tyres' hope you're fair weather campers

Who the hell cares. I have fitted this year the Conti Vanco, could not get campers in April, and it makes no differance. We are talking a big white box on wheels here not a sports car. The average M/H is driven slowly, lumbers around corners and has so much internal noise what tyre you have matters little as far as road noise is concerned. I have never been stuck and it is fine in rain. Only driven it on snow once and that was last November in the Peak district, no problem. If I was going to the Alps in my van, which I am not, prefer proper accommodation for skiing, then I would fit chains as required.

Archived