Water Volume/presure in Motorhome

John J Thompson

I have just replaced the pump in my Hymer. There were originally two small yellow pumps in the tank coupled together, one feeding the other to a single outlet pipe.

Replaced it with one Reich 15 litre slimline pump. (£22.99 at Discover Leisure Birtley, Co. Durham) We thought it wasn't giving much output so we have just measured it and it is giving 1.5 litres a minute measured into a jug at the sink. Just tested the shower and it gives 2.5 litres in one minute into the jug.

I initially thought the pump said 1.5 litres a minute, I have just had a look a the spare we bought and it says 15 litres.

Surely 15 litres a minute would be almost two full, two gallon buckets in a minute (3.2995372722 gal) That would empty a 40 litre Auqaroll inside 3 minutes.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why the output should be so low. Could it be the height of the sink above the base of the tank? /length of delivery pipe to the tap? that is causing this reduced flow.

If I put both pumps in feeding one outlet pipe would this be to much pressure for the taps?

John

The 15 litre flow rate is probaly thr max flow rate with no head of water to lift. The pressure is only 0.5 bar which is about 7 psi which is not very much.

You are correct in suggesting the length of pipes and and height it has to lift water is the problem. You could try putting both pumps in series and should help a lot, but be better to get a higher pressure pump to begin with and peferably a diaphram pump external to the tank.

Also check any strainers you may have in the system are clear of any dirt or scale.

ermmm! have you just added teh flow rate at the shower to your post?

It is a lot higher, and if that is with the shower at normal height it woudld suggest you may have some blockage to the basin taps or a much longer pipe run. Check the strainers on the tap outlets are clear of scale etc.

the original one that would have been fitted when new is called a tandem pump and would have been better if it had been replaced with a similar one. If you ring Hymer UK and order one they will post one to you. I always carry a spare pump as you never know when they are going to pack up.

Brambles - 2010-10-20 9:20 AM

ermmm! have you just added teh flow rate at the shower to your post?

It is a lot higher, and if that is with the shower at normal height it woudld suggest you may have some blockage to the basin taps or a much longer pipe run. Check the strainers on the tap outlets are clear of scale etc.

Thank you very much Brambles.

I have removed the strainer from the end of the tap and got a shock at the rubbish in there. Cleaned it out and now the flow is 3.7 litres a minute.

Checked bathroom tap and shower as well. Shower was clear but other tap was also clogging up.

That is another job to add to the maintenance list.

Thanks again.

John

Archived