talbot express on lpg (tunuing) / consumption mpg /

nickideano

Hi there, I haven't had a Talbot, but had a V8 Range Rover on LPG, so can give you a few details.

Consumption wise, most vehicles converted to gas will do slightly less mpg than they would on petrol (maybe 5-10 %), however, with the cost of gas still being just over half that of petrol per litre, it still converts to basicly doing almost double the miles per litre/gallon. The more mileage you do, the quicker you will recoup the initial outlay.

Performance wise, there is not much noticeable difference, although your engine may run slightly hotter.

I was advised to run the engine on petrol for a day or so every few tanks full of gas, this is because LPG gas lacks the lubrication qualities of petrol, therefore, your engine can get a bit "dry" for want of better description, this affects your valve stem seals etc.

Try to get a multi point injection system if you can, ( depends on the design of your inlet manifold), these are much better than the single point.

Lastly, most LPG conversions mean that you have to start up on petrol, then it changes over to gas when the water reaches a certain temp, remember to keep petrol in your tank, there is a way you can start up on pure gas, but it's complicated.

You can get the engine further tuned, but you would need to get professional advice, I found that a 4 lt V8 didn't need much tweeking.

Hope that helps.

Archived