Water Hose (the best length for Sites)

Guest Keith M

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Having read this thread I've decided to go for a couple of hoses, a shortish one for when I'm filling up having moved to the services point, and a longer one in case I have the good fortune to be sited twenty or thirty feet from a tap.

I don't want a cassette-type hose as space is limited in my outside locker and would really like flat hoses but having visited a couple of DIY stores I can't find any.

Where's the best place to buy flat hoses on a wind-in reel and can I get this 'food quality' type of hose?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Hi Frank, I bought my 20 metre flat hose from the Brownhills accessories shop at Brownhills. It's on a wind-in-reel but I'm not sure if it's food quality or not. It doesn't really matter to us because we don't drink water out of the tank. I think the nearest Brownhills to you would be in Preston but I dare say they would sell these at other MH accessory shops. They cost £32.99, believe it or not. Regards, John.

[QUOTE]Frank Wilkinson - 2006-12-07 9:23 AM Where's the best place to buy flat hoses on a wind-in reel and can I get this 'food quality' type of hose?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

[/QUOTE] Whichever flat hose you decide upon first check the mechanics of the reel. We bought one in Halfords & it fell apart. It will need to be quite robust! Vixter

Guest Frank Wilkinson

[QUOTE]trigrem - 2006-12-09 10:31 PM Hi Frank CAK Tanks do a flat food quality hose on a reel. Tel 0870 757 2324 website www.caktanks.co.uk Doug[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. I'd already found one here:

http://www.outdoorbits.com/product_info.php/cPath/12/products_id/157

What would now be ideal is to find a shorter flat hose for when I've driven up to a filling point. I suppose that the problem with flat hoses is that you have to unwind the lot even if you're only 6 feet away.

The problem is I don't think that flat hoses have the same screw-on connections as round ones so I can't just buy a longer one and chop a few feet off it.

Or can I?

Hi Frank, I had a flat hose on which I was able to fit Hozelock type fittings without problems. I would inspect your hose fittings as fitted when supplied and if it looks as if you can remove them, then you should be able to cut off a length and fit some hozelock fittings to either end. it is difficult to be specific without seeing your hoser . Doug

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Thanks Doug, I'll have a good look. The last flat hose that I bought was a Black and Decker and the hose was welded to the fittings on either end. It could be that the better quality ones are able to have standard fittings on them.

I'm visiting one or two accessory shops next week so I'll cross my fingers.

Archived