Camping and caravan club

kevin hawkins

Members of both for the CL/CS type sites.

We very rarely use EHU and so tend to stay on C and CC sites as over 55s and out of season - many are very good value for money, eg Theobalds Park on the northern outskirts of London, actually a good stopover on the way from the North and North West to the channel as it is very close to the M25

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We prefer the CC as the sites are more predictable and generally better quality. Having no deposit to pay also helps if like us you book up to 120 days at the start of the season. Booking is not a problem if you do it on line on the first or second day that they open for booking. I know that sounds over organised and a bit boring but sadly in this day and age it is by and large necessary.

In the last few years we have only had to cancel or change a booking once but if you do need to do so please be fare and let the site know a.s.p. so they can re-let your pitch. Booking up every weekend and either not showing up or cancelling at the last minute is not fair on the rest of the members and be wear the club are looking at ways to prevent this and if you are a persistent offender you may well find booking restrictions of some sort being applied to you.

We prefer the CC as the sites are more predictable and generally better quality. Having no deposit to pay also helps if like us you book up to 120 days at the start of the season. Booking is not a problem if you do it on line on the first or second day that they open for booking. I know that sounds over organised and a bit boring but sadly in this day and age it is by and large necessary.

In the last few years we have only had to cancel or change a booking once but if you do need to do so please be fare and let the site know a.s.p. so they can re-let your pitch. Booking up every weekend and either not showing up or cancelling at the last minute is not fair on the rest of the members and be wear the club are looking at ways to prevent this and if you are a persistent offender you may well find booking restrictions of some sort being applied to you.

Hi,

Used to belong to both clubs, but have recently dropped the C&CC,

for lots of reasons already mentioned, We prefere to choose our own pitch even if occasionaly we get it wrong. With the C.C. you seem to see more inward investment, and they don't seem to be 'wandering' in to the 'fixed holiday lodge' scenario. Which is a 'Dead end' to a 'Touring' club, Think they are losing their way a bit. Also their (the C&CC's) Magazine was a bit naff compared to the C.C. one, havn't seen a Tie or a navy blue (badged) blazer for ages on a C.C site . Agree that booking up is becoming a problem with both clubs, but now that our 'Facilities' are more up to date and useable we will probably use more 'no toilet block sites' and CL's for weekends. Ray

We're in both CC and CCC, but given a choice use CC simply because of the pitching system.

The CCC system of showing you to your pitch is not to help you, but to make sure you go where it suits them. One or two night stays invariably mean a lousy pitch even when good pitches are available. You will be squeezed onto the smallest pitch possible and where the Warden thinks your van will do least damage to his grass.

Sometimes a choice of pitch is offered, but it rarely covers all the available pitches. A walk round many sites later has made me wonder what I could possibly have said to the Warden for me to be put where I was.

The system of "with awning" or "no awning" is also nonsense. You can book either if you have no awning, and the "with awning" will often give you a larger pitch. They will sometimes change your pitch if you ask nicely, but unless you love sport don't try asking a warden to change your pitch type.

I accept that they have to make best use of the pitches they've got, but why don't they just come clean instead of all this pretence that they are trying to help you.

I love the CC system of picking your own pitch. A quick drive or walk round always gives me a pitch that suits ME.

Feel better now I've got that of my chest. :-D

Everhopeful,

I'm sure many others have left the C&CC for the same reasons, a simple thing, picking your own pitch from the empty ones available. But very annoying when it happens to you. I did send a letter to the HQ before I left, They said that the ' Site manager allocating you a specific pitch' policy was for the benefit of all the members. I can't see it myself. Or the move toward more 'Holiday Lodges' on their Sites. So, I voted with my feet. Ray

casey - 2010-10-24 8:30 PM

Hi Kath & Kevin

Been a member of c&cc for about 3 years, have only been on one of thier sites ( Moffat ) and compared to a cc site it was a dive !! you have to pay a deposit on booking ( which i agree with ) and they have a min stay. Having said that i like thier choice of overseas rallies and i have found thier ferry prices to be cheaper. Prefer cc sites though when you can get on them.

will remain in both for now.

casey.

We have just rejoined the C.C.C. as we were sick to death of not getting on C.C. sites.

Our first time this year was at Moffet :-S and I dont know where you are coming from calling it a DIVE?? it is very clean as All club sites are! the toilet block is quite a few years older than a lot of the C.C. sites but by no means dirty and neglected as the word you use to describe it would infer.

Why we left them in the first place was because we only tended to use Moffet and Barns Ness which was also older! but we loved it because of the lovely walks beside the sea and the wildlfie.

We spend about 6 weeks over the water either in Germany or France

but after about 45 years of camping and caravanning have learned to take the bad with the good and believe me Moffet is a palace compared with some we have found. You also get a good discount being a recycled teenager. :-D

casey - 2010-10-24 8:30 PM

Hi Kath & Kevin

Been a member of c&cc for about 3 years, have only been on one of thier sites ( Moffat ) and compared to a cc site it was a dive !! you have to pay a deposit on booking ( which i agree with ) and they have a min stay. Having said that i like thier choice of overseas rallies and i have found thier ferry prices to be cheaper. Prefer cc sites though when you can get on them.

will remain in both for now.

casey.

sorry this reply button too slow !! Im too impatient.

>:-)

Your complaining because you didn't get to choose a pitch! We should be so lucky, we left because a warden refused to allow us a pitch!

Must be at least a year since I last posted this, so I will retell.

It was a wet day out of season, we turned up 'on spec' at a C&CC site, waited about an hour or so for the warden, when he turned up told us it was too wet to park on grass and all hard standings where full, was refused the option of parking on any 'non designated hardstanding' and was turned away.

We went 'down the road' several miles to a comercial site, manager/owner said "it's too wet to park on grass, just park van next to shower block", this is the kind of common sence I would expect of any club I would be member of.

When (if >:-( ) the new van turns up will be rejoining one of the clubs for access to CL/CS's, I think we might choose CC next time around, can any one tell me roughly how many CS's CC have?

I think the lack of common sense is something that can raise it's head at either club..

(..we had an "incident" on a CC site,where the morning after arrival, the warden was insisting that we turn our Mh around(..I'd driven in forward onto the pitch).

I pointed out that if I reversed on,our habitation door would've been facing directly into our neighbours open fronted awning...but I was met with ".. it's the Club rules on all sites..!" (..which it isn't! )

..anyway, after being refered to as "..you people..",we packed up and moved on..!

(Letters were sent and 'eventually' we received the usual noncommital replies of,"..sorry you feel that way.." blah blah.."..we take great pride in our customer service.." blah blah )

We've never had any problems on any other site,club or other wise,so I think we do have to accept the fact that sooner or later you're going to come across a warden who is,shall we say "less that helpful".. :-S

Oh!..and the CC has loads of CLs (..don't know the figure but there appears to be 100s in the book! :-D )

The first site I ever went on in my van I was told by the warden that I might have to move the next day because they were expecting a number of caravans in, and I was on a 'caravan pitch' ( ! ) (It was just grass)

When I asked why I should move he said " well motorhomes are designed to move about much more easily than caravans "

I was all set for a battle the next day but he never came back.

He must have thought better of it.

Apart from that I've not had problems with wardens, I think a lot depends on how you approach them.

(p.s. I still call them wardens even though the club now gives them the awful title of 'holiday site managers' or some such nonsense.)

:-|

I always though as a " Member " of a club you are in principle a part owner therefore surely the Wardens / Site Managers are as such our staff not our bosses so should treat their wage payers with respect , because without paying members these people would be looking for another job.

kelly58 - 2010-10-27 10:09 AM

I always though as a " Member " of a club you are in principle a part owner therefore surely the Wardens / Site Managers are as such our staff not our bosses so should treat their wage payers with respect , because without paying members these people would be looking for another job.

I would agree with that but add that they too are entitled to be treated with respect, at least until they show that they haven't earned it.

As far as I can see, the problems people have with the CCC (and the CC for that matter) are all to do with the Club Sites.

We've been in the CCC for a few years now, but haven't once used a Club Site because we don't see the point of paying out for (admittedly excellent) faciltiies we don't need, having already bought them (in our van).

In fact, even in our confined space, our own facilities are BETTER in many ways: we can keep all our toiletries etc on the shelves in the shower cubicle all the time instead of having to carry them (through the rain?) in a bag; we go from our bedroom to our bathroom indoors, just as we would at home, and we set the temperature, both of the space and of the water, to our liking.

So why did we join the CCC? Purely and simply because, in the absence of UK Aires, their CSs provide the cheapest comprehensive network of places to stop. In that respect, we're completely satisfied with the CCC.

IMHO the Club Sites of both major clubs are designed with caravans and tents in mind - ie those who prefer to set up in one place for a while, and tour by car. CSs, on the other hand, will take whoever turns up, with or without a booking (space permitting), will be flexible about where you pitch (often offering hardstanding if the grass is wet) and will often offer local knowledge. Of course, the CLs of the "other club" offer all the same advantages - although on average they seem to be noticeably more expensive.

So I'm a BIG fan of the CCC - even though you won't catch me near their Club Sites!

pepe63 - 2010-10-27 8:58 AM

...I think we do have to accept the fact that sooner or later you're going to come across a warden who is,shall we say "less that helpful".

Exactly so. I feel this is a greater determinant of how pleasant your stay will be than the identity of the club. I belong to both and use their own sites and CLs and CSs extensively, all over Britain.

I find no systematic difference between the clubs' wardens. The only time I've been annoyed enough to complain to a club about a warden was at the Caravan Club's Wincanton Racecourse site. The warden I found the most irritatingly obsessive about rules was also at a Caravan Club site (Minehead). Both were exceptions.

I'm presently at the Theobalds Park C&CC site. It's half-term and I booked at short notice, so could get only a grass pitch. The site is boggy from recent rain. When I arrived, the warden apologised for this and offered to let me pitch on the (metalled) internal road instead. It's next to a hook-up and I don't have an awning, so I'm happy.

That said, the toilets and showers here are in large Portaloos and are basic. The site needs money spent on it. On the other hand, by far the best toilet amenities at a club site I've visited are at the C&CC's site at Teversal. Second best are at the same club's Dunbar site.

Roger

We have just chosen not to renew our membership with C&CC, sticking with CC for a while, for all the reasons mentioned above and more!

Our last visit to a C&CC site made our minds up. We were treated like an annoyance to them, even though we had booked several weeks in advance. We did everything by the rules - turned up on time, had all our paperwork ready and a smile on our face looking forward to our 5 day break :-D

The atmospher in the office between staff did take my notice but I thought perhaps they are just having a bad day, which they clearly were and they seemed determined to make ours equally bad.

We finished up being shown to a pitch which was a route march to all the facilities, including the chemical toilet disposal point. Local bin areas had been taken out of use, because they considered using black bin bags as not being environmentally friendly - OK, so replace them with roll top bins! Instead we had to endure the route march - but I thought of a way of avoiding this long walk in sometimes cold and wet weather - we'll drop off the rubbish when we go out in the car (^)

So plan in action, we loaded our rubbish in the car ready to dispose in the open skip and drove to the nearest point possible. I jumped out of the car and grabbed the rubbish leaving my drivers door open and my dearly beloved in the passenger seat and dashed to the skip - all of 20 meters - before I got back to the car, all of 15 seconds, the camp commandant, sorry.... warden, sorry.... site manager was stood by the car and pointing at a 'No Parking' sign. Not satisfied with the jasticulation he then proceeded to explain what no parking meant and why. I patiently bit my lip, apologies for being such an unruly guest on his site and drove away.

I also enjoy a spot of fishing whilst away, so try and select sites with that facility on offer. The story behind my exploits during this hobby on this site I will keep for another day!

Enough to say that it made our minds up to leave C&CC. Even when we rang the membership office to say that we would not be renewing our membership there was no reaction. Not asked why or sorry to see you go.

Log cabins seem to be the way they are leaning now!

I think some of this criticism is rather harsh.

The clubs' wardens are no more that ordinary members who have expressed a desire to become wardens.  If accepted, they are trained, and have to absorb a load of instruction, much relating to Health and Safety legislation, but also to cleaning and use of commercial cleaning agents, operating of water softening plant, grass cutting and landscape maintenance machinery, computer systems, and club rules on this and that.

For quite a few, this will be the most intensive learning curve they have experienced in years; perhaps ever.  Many, I suspect, find that little lot a bit daunting, and depending on their previous walk of life, may feel they have no scope whatever for using their initiative, or are simply too frightened of the consequences should they do so.

There can be no guarantee that they will have the ideal personality for the job, and many people panic under pressure, becoming irrational and irritable.  So, they are just human beings and have their bad days, just like the rest of us, especially when new to the job, and early in their first season.

On more than one site I have visited there was also an obvious conflict between Mr and Mrs warden over how much they were enjoying the job.  Generally, it seemed Mr was as happy as a pig in the proverbial, because he spent all day endlessly cutting and re-cutting the grass on "his" ride on mower, while she cleaned the facilities block, and for some reason found this less agreeable! :-)

They do not "own" the sites, and some simply find out the hard way the job isn't for them.  Others are totally different, and a delight to meet.  But then, we've also "met" a few private site owners who could do with a spell at charm school, or at least a customer care course.  It takes all sorts, folks: it's just life, in all its strange forms.

Doubtless there is training for the Wardens/Site Managers but I for one would dearly like to know if, when being trained, new entrants are asked this question.

Why do you think folk are coming to a site?

If any single one of them couldn't answer, "for a holiday" they should be excluded on the spot.

Martyn

LordThornber - 2010-10-27 12:49 PM Doubtless there is training for the Wardens/Site Managers but I for one would dearly like to know if, when being trained, new entrants are asked this question. Why do you think folk are coming to a site? If any single one of them couldn't answer, "for a holiday" they should be excluded on the spot. Martyn

And I'm sure they are, but words are cheap, and reality dawns later!  Your Lordship must remember he is dealing here with the great unwashed.  :-D

Brian Kirby - 2010-10-27 1:05 PM
LordThornber - 2010-10-27 12:49 PM Doubtless there is training for the Wardens/Site Managers but I for one would dearly like to know if, when being trained, new entrants are asked this question. Why do you think folk are coming to a site? If any single one of them couldn't answer, "for a holiday" they should be excluded on the spot. Martyn

And I'm sure they are, but words are cheap, and reality dawns later!  Your Lordship must remember he is dealing here with the great unwashed.  :-D

Absolutely right Brian.I was in the office on a site in Norway when the ' leader' of one of those organised tours was trying to get information about ferries from the poor young 'warden' who was doing his best to help.Although it was clearly NOT his job to do so, he was on the internet trying to be helpful.He was clearly having trouble with slow response etc and the 'lady' really had a go at him.After she left the office I felt I should apologise on behalf of the U.K. !( O.k. so it wasn't a club site - but the same principles apply).I certainly wouldn't do the job. :-(

malc d - 2010-10-27 1:18 PM
Brian Kirby - 2010-10-27 1:05 PM

Absolutely right Brian.I was in the office on a site in Norway when the ' leader' of one of those organised tours (from the UK) was trying to get information about ferries from the poor young 'warden' who was doing his best to help.Although it was clearly NOT his job to do so, he was on the internet trying to be helpful.He was clearly having trouble with slow response etc and the 'lady' really had a go at him.After she left the office I felt I should apologise on behalf of the U.K. !( O.k. so it wasn't a club site - but the same principles apply).I certainly wouldn't do the job. :-(

Archived