2nd battery & new 12v sockets fitted !!

Heyloft

Perhaps a knowledgable person out there can help, before I go back to the installer and make myself look a prat.

I have just had a 2nd battery & new 12v sockets fitted.

ISSUE 1

I had a second Leisure battery fitted, so I now have 2 x 110a/hr batteries

On my battery charge display previously (with 1 battery) it used to show c.85-90amps fully charged

Now I have 2 it is still showing around the same. I expected this to increase.

Also when charging with ignition on it is only showing a charge of +1.2 amps, but considerably higher when charging from the mains.

Is this correct??

ISSUE 2

I had some additional 12v sockets added, 1 to run a 150w inverter to power a Playstation 3. this same inverter works fine off the cab cigarette lighter socket and the PS3 works happily. But the inverter alarms when plugged into the Leisure 12v socket and shuts down.

Hi again. Some inverters are optimistically rated and only run at their max output for a short time, if you draw too much current from them, or if the input voltage drops they will shut down. In your case, if it runs your equipment ok off the cig lighter socket , I would suspect a voltage drop in the 12 volt supply from the new socket is the problem.

Brian B.

How much charge is getting through is dependant on many factors ,not least is wether the battery is fully charged . If this case is present then the system will not demand much. If you have all things switched on such as fridge etc then there will be less of a charge to go into everything.

If 1st part drain off some battery and then check it again, If 2nd case switch off all and then check.

Finally use your own meter to check that the readings are at parity.

I could be corrected on this as I have only read the PDF issued by the manufacturers of the NASA battery guage.

From memory the unit had to be set up initialy to show the amphour-age of the batteries (50 to 500amp hr) before it would record the charge and discharge from the batteries.

So your 80 amphr meter reading may just be calibration error that should have been carried out after the fitting of the battery.

Rgds

Added: The rate of charge may be dependant on what goes into your starter battery and its condition before starting to charge other batteries.

As others have suggested, take the vehicle on a run and see how things pan out. Again the only really accurate way to check if batteries are fully charged is to check the acid SG with a hydrometer. (Messy but easy to do, if you have access to the batteries)

Rgds

Hi,

Part 2 has been answered - its the length of wiring to socket from battery causing a volt drop which is too high. Invertors draw their power in surges and long cable runs are a killer. You wil need much heavier cable fitted or socket moved close to the battery.

Part 1.

Again it has been answered so I am really just confirming as well.

The meter works by detecting the voltage on the battery. Whether you have one battery or 10 in parallel the voltage will be the same. The meter as been set up to show in ampere hours probably based on a 110 Amp hour battery. It may or may not be possible to have it programed to display correctly depending on type. It is probably close enough just to call the reading %age charge. So if it shows 60 Ah then you have approx 60% of 220Ah. They are never very accurate anyway as dependant on battery temperature and the age of the battery will also affect it and the battery type/chemistry.

Reading 90AH when fully charged is maybe also not far of the mark as many batteries described as 110 Ah are not what they seem and are more like a 90 Ah. Take Elecsol 110, it a model number not a Ah rating. They are closer to a 90 Ah actual rating.

edit - spelling typos. One day I will learn to type and spell at the same time!

"Also when charging with ignition on it is only showing a charge of +1.2 amps, but considerably higher when charging from the mains.

Is this correct?? "

Is this what happened before 2nd battery was fitted?

It is possible. The alternator charge voltage is 14.4 volts and if your batteries are fully charged then when on the mains charger it may be supplying up to 14.8 volts so charge current will be higher. If you wait long enough it should fold back to a lower rate trickle charge from 13.8 volts. You say ignition on, I am assuming you mean engine running.

Can ony guess an answer without knowing all the details.

So as someone I think mentioned, discharge some power and repeat test.

Hi. Just a thought,if you cannot have it re programed to account for the two batteries, just work from the 90amp figure. Remember that relates to the capacity of one battery, effectively you now have the capacity of two 90amp batteries. So all you need to do is watch the discharge rate, it should now be a lot slower as you have doubled the capacity.

Brian B.

The 12v sockets issue was of concern to me recently, as my Adria Twin has a cab socket which shows a maximum 180 watt draw, whereas the two 12v sockets in the habitation area have no markings. The Adria manual made no mention of the maximum draw, and they still haven't responded to my query. It took a while to establish what the 12v circuit, running from the leisure battery, could handle.

I also contacted a 12v appliance supplier, as to why there were so few applicances on sale which exceeded 8 amps when, in theory, a 12v socket can take higher loads. The answer was that although the UK lighter socket was designed for higher amps to run a cigar lighter element, for 12v motorhome sockets, manufacturers often use less capable wiring to save weight and cost, so the wiring employed (which can run quite a distance) can result in a significant voltage drop, before the leisure battery reaches a normal drop-out voltage.

And so it transpires for my Adria. Whereas my 150 watt invertor works fine in the cigar socket, it is liable to beep lots and/or shut down if I use the habitation area (DIN) 12v sockets. This assumes that the applicance in question is trying to draw more current than the 12v leisure circuit is capable of supplying.

Shaun

Heyloft - 2010-10-26 2:27 PM

Away with the van for 3 days this weekend.

A good chance to put some drain on the batteries & carry out some testing & gather some solid measurements.

Look forward to reading some test results, but much more interesting is are you going anywhere exciting? Hope you have a great weekend and weather does not turn too cold.

Just a point regarding the 180 watt cigar socket in a Fiat Ducato cab.

I recently had to take my dashboard apart and I found that the wiring to the above socket is very thin. Possibly 0.75 mm/sq section. I showed it to my son who is qualified in auto electrics and he said that there was no way that the socket could be rated at 180 watts (or 15 amps).

The moral of the story is: do not run a heavy load on your cab socket.

That cab socket might well have thin wiring, but it copes very well with my 150 watt inverter. When that same inverter beeps and cuts out when plugged into the habitation 12v, I switch it to the cab socket and all's well again. Perhaps it's because the wiring run is a lot shorter to the cab socket.

Shaun

Been away for 3 days, was prepared for thorough testing.........

BUT it all worked..... Well... I have 2 identical Ring 150w inverters. It appears they are not quite identical. One works on the leisure 12v and cab 12v. One only works on the cab 12v.

As for the additional battery........

The Dethleffs control panel has the option for programming in the amp/hrs available and then will provide accurate readings for charge etc...

It's not in the manual, but it is one of the menu options. SWIMBO wouldn't let me play while away, but there's always tomorrow (lol)

I appreciate everyone's input, it gave me the confidence to 'play'

Hello John ?

Regarding your issue 1. I had a similar question via another source late last week. My guess is that the electrical controller in your van needs to be calibrated to accept it has a larger battery bank, however I am waiting for some clarification from the manufacturers of the equipment before I come up with a definitive answer.

C.

Archived