magazine reviews of m/home insurance. Dates?

chris

Hi, can you help direct me to the latest review in MMM, Which M/HOME, Practical Mhome. I have most back copies but can't pinpoint the dates they were reviewed in the magazines.

Getting best quotes from Caravanguard and Saga at present. Currently with Safeguard but I want to analyse the smallprint.

Thanks

Chris

I believe the most recent article in MMM may be the late Mel Eastburn's piece "You have insurance...but are you covered?" beginning on page 197 of September 2008's magazine.

Can't help with the other magazines you mention, but Mel's article was (as was always the case) well researched and comprehensive.

You might also try using this forum's SEARCH facility. I'd try keywords like "saga", "safeguard" or "caravanguard", or "insurance" with, say, "Mel E", "Brian Kirby" or "Derek Uzzell" as the 'author'. (Omitting the quotes, of course, when you enter the SEARCH criteria.)

Thanks Derek and Flicka. I have now dug out both articles and read through them. Practical motorhome one was very good on comparing the fine points so will look into that as the article Mel wrote confirmed good companies too

Caravanguard are coming out at just over £400 compared to £583 Safeguasrd but we have been very satisfied customers of Safeguard (2 claims in 5yrs) so reluctant to move unless absolutely sure about company. We have a new van now so costs have soared this year on insurance.

Chris

Hi Chris

Your quotes appear a little on the highside to me.

I was with Caravan Guard for the previous 3 years & although they Quoted me the same premium as last year, I decided to check the market & changed to Comfort for this year.

I got European cover included for less than CaravanGuard without European cover. So IMO it would be worth getting a quote from Comfort also.

But so much depends on various aspects, location, where parked/stored, value of M/H, Security features, Club membership, etc., etc..

chris - 2010-10-27 3:08 PM Thanks Derek and Flicka. I have now dug out both articles and read through them. Practical motorhome one was very good on comparing the fine points so will look into that as the article Mel wrote confirmed good companies too Caravanguard are coming out at just over £400 compared to £583 Safeguasrd but we have been very satisfied customers of Safeguard (2 claims in 5yrs) so reluctant to move unless absolutely sure about company. We have a new van now so costs have soared this year on insurance. Chris

I suspect it is those two claims that are doing the damage.  Even if you have protected no claims discount, when you claim your risk profile alters.  That generally means your basic premium rises so, although you keep the discount, the discount is from a higher cost base.  When you change they all ask for your claims record, so your base premium, based on address, vehicle type/value, and driver claims record, will be inflated by all.  Yer can't win!  :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Well we went for Caravan Guard for £415. I managed to get Safeguard down to £586 with a £30 cashback deal but even though I rang them twice and they rang me, Safeguard could not matchprice Caravan guard which I was disappointed with.

Safeguard said that they do not know how they manage such low quotes.

As a point of interest different companies do different arrangements as was with Saga who would give cheaper insurance if I (female at 54) was the main driver rather than husband (age 70) so ladies we can be noted at last :-D

chris

Currently with Caravanguard. Have tried Comfort but have always found them to be expensive. BUT many factors govern what premium they will ask, things like where you live, how you garage the vehicle, are you in a town or in the country, what the local crime statistoics are, what alarms or tracker system you have, plus all the obvious criteria like age, value, experience and previous claims and annual mileage.

Yes shop around and always ask the question "Who are the underwriters" as many companies offer different policies but use the same small number of underwriters.

C.

Archived