Dongle

hymer1942

Evening all, because we plan to be away for over half the next year I am going to cancel SKY which includes our internet and eventually return to BT.

But for the mean time I want to get a dongle for use at home and travelling the UK. I want something that is reasonable speed, not MEGA but not PEDESTRIAN. Can some one please point me in the right direction.

With some idea of cost.

Many thanks in advance Barrie.

In the UK I mostly use a dongle from 3, both at home and in the m/home. I use this in a 3 router which enhances the signal and I get very sarisfactory speeds. I can use more than one computer at a time on this system.This costs me only £7.50 for 5GB a month. I also have an O2 dongle as a back up. I have also used T-Mobile which was also good although at the time very expensive.

I have no idea of the current pricing so you will need to look on their websites.

Hi

Some information on this thread

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20747&posts=43

Although if it is speed you want this may not be the right place to look.

I paid £20 for a Vodafone dongle that came with 15mb of 'free' data. Unlocked it at a cost of £12.50 (you could probably do this for nothing if you knew how) and paid £26 for the Irish sim. Rate had risen from £20 by the time I had got to it.

New unlocked dongles seem to be pitched at about £70 upwards, but for the time I've wasted mucking about with these bits and pieces that would have been a bargain.

Guest pelmetman

Just up graded to the top of the range 3 dongle £17 per month 8-)

I kept hitting the bump stops on my previous contract, I blame this forum :D

So far not impressed but it might be down to me, as I have only had it a couple of days and technically it dont kick in until next month.

But at least its a business expense (lol)

I was not impressed with some of the so called Wi-Fi sites rates. Some them charge by the hour and if you don't use use it all, you have lost it. Earlier this year I purchased a Wi-Fi device from the Three network. I say device because you do not have to plug it in and you can use more than one laptop or PC/MAC at the same time. It's about a tenner a gigabyte but it lasts thirty days, or you can buy 3 gigs for £15. Shortly after I bought mine Three increased their UK coverage and it has not me me down yet. It is also password protected so no 'freeloaders'. (lol)

We tried the 3 WiFi gadget and it just couldn't get a signal anywhere in our house despite 3 claiming to have a repeater mast less than 300 yds away. We took it back and had a refund. We have also tried a T mobile dongle and that was little better. When we are away in the van we use our mobile phones as modems and as they are both 3G phones we get good performance where a 3G network is available, outside of that is acceptable but noticably slower. I pay £5 a month on top of the contract per phone for unlimited internet use.

D.

Archived