Old Age Driving - in a Motorhome

The wanderer

A recent SAGA magazine article mentioned a possible law where those over 70 years old would have to take a new driving test. The reason it said, mainly because;

" The majority of old drivers are a cause for concern when on the roads "

I reach 75 myself next Feb. yet I still feel 32 and we regularly holiday in France, twice a year 5 weeks each time, plus of course in the UK.

Should I now consider giving it all up.

I have no health problems, can still race the grandchildren on our bikes.

According to the insurance companies the majority of young drivers are a cause for concern on the roads.

You certainly should not consider giving it up.

I wonder what their definition of an 'old driver' is ?

( The media often refer to elderly people who turn out to be 60 ! )

;-)

My mum, at 81, voluntarily undertook a driving "assessment" this week, because having had a bump in a car park she was questioning whether she should still be driving.

I think that's a sensible approach on her part, as we've all seen SOME older drivers (and SOME young ones!) who really aren't safe behind the wheel.

The assessor was quite happy with her driving, but in view of the recent accident he suggested she might benefit from 3 or 4 lessons purely to restore her own confidence. She's planning to do this soon.

So use your common sense Brian, and keep driving, but maybe invite someone you trust to give you an honest appraisal now and again?

Anyway, at least Car Park "Jobsworth's" won't mistake you for a "New Age Traveller!" :-D

If someone is driving erratically or is a possible danger to other road users there is a case for give them a test, but to test people just because they are seventy would be totally unacceptable.

( Why 70 ? Why not test them because they are 48 or 61 or whatever ?)

Nice little money earner though, and job creation opportunity, so it could well happen.

I think having to take a test periodically is overkill but I would be content to see a requirement to have a one-hour lesson/review with an Approved Driving Instructor every year or so. I intend to do that voluntarily from 65 onwards.

When I was a pilot I had to have a formal flying assessment (£239) every two years and an annual medical (£150) or lose my licence and I could do a lot more damage if I lost control of a 3.5 tonne motorhome in a city than flying a 1.25 tonne 'plane over the countryside.

I live in an area where the extremely elderly are numerous, most are armed with cars and quite often appear to have little awareness of anything outside the boundaries of their car's glazing. I frequently see things where I feel if I had not seen it, I would not have believed it.

For example two nutters, one male and one female have taken to beeping their cars' horns at every bend around town. I asked one of them once why and he said "Everyone else drives too fast and comes round the bends on the wrong side of the road". I pointed out that at the last (blind and acute) bend he went round it had been he who was on the wrong side of the road. He of course claimed I was mistaken. I have since seen him do the same thing.

Bob

I had to take a medical to renew my 3.5 tonne plus rights at 70 and again this year at 74, cost me £70.00. I think its not a bad idea, good idea to have a refresher too, I've just joined the IAM but still "swotting" for the test.

Stuart

Had a renewal of the over 70 licence to deal with in July, for the second time.

Queried the need for another medical, and so submitted meself to Docs.

He gave me a pass provided I changed specs. DVLA sent me a new licence without the PHGV category though. Since then, have been in communication with DVLA, via mailings. They changed their minds so often I wondered if I would ever get a licence.

Received a letter which indicated that to drive a min-bus, I needed to pass the eyetest with new specs.

But it was contradictory, by indcating that I need not pass that eye test for 3.5 to 7 tons vehicles ??

Managed to talk to someone on phone, to query the contradiction.

Not wanting to drive a min-bus, only a motorhome.

Result, I have a licence that allows me to drive motorhomes up to 7 tons with no need to undergo special eye test for specs, but no min-buses !

Camperdude - 2010-10-30 11:38 AM

There's a programme on Tuesday at 10.35pm on BBC1 entitled "Taking the Keys Away" about the subject of elderly drivers.

Might be of interest.

John

It will be interesting to see who they regard as " elderly "

On BBC television news it's usually anyone over 50.

(Must have some very young programme producers and directors).

;-)

JudgeMental - 2010-10-29 4:46 PM

Report them before they injure someone or worse....

Hello Judge, I was so concerned having spoken to the man and seen what appered to be cateracts on his eyes and observed the woman twice in a supermarket car park I did refer both drivers' behaviour to the police who eventually, had a PCSO contact me. She was completely uninterested. No action was taken and she refused even to go and see them.

Bob :-|

When I reached 70 I was not interested in keeping my 7.5 ton facility, 3500 kg is o/k for our need. However I thought I would check on my driving faults accumulated over 50 accident free years, so I prepared for , took and passed the IAM test. Personally I feel I am a safer driver in my motorhome than my car, high up driving position, more comfortable seats, big windscreen to see all around and big mirrors with better rearward vision than the piddly things on my car.

Doug

The reason for the eye test for the mini-bus is that it will be carrying passengers.

Our Good Neighbours organisation runs a mini-bus and all drivers have to submit to a stringent medical once they reach 70. If they are prepared to undergo this test, the costs are refunded, as so many call time on their volunteering to drive the mini-bus at this stage.

Some of our volunteer car drivers have been in the late 80s before giving up driving elderly residents to various medical appointments.

IMO dangerous elderly drivers should be reported to the DVLA before they destroy somebody's health and/or vehicle. Their need for mobility does not outweigh the safety of pedestrians and other road users.

Joyce

Archived