Renewable energy sources!

smig65

The trouble with wind turbines and solar panels separate from the van is that they are extremely vulnerable if left unattended, especially when parked wild, so have to be continually assembled and dismantled. Though a wind turbine is not very heavy the turbine and blase are quite bulky and many of us will not have the space to store one.

My roof mounted solar panel works, probably no very well most of the time, all the while there is some daylight. even when travelling along the road.

So the reduced effectiveness of a fixed solar panel is offset by the much longer hours of usage, no storage space is required and there is absolutely no work or worry involved.

Well, all of this debate has all been for nothing as smig65 seems to have vanished into thin air and this thread will disappear. Blown away on the wind maybe.

All I can say is that this would have been a good week for me to have been away in the van. I would have had fully charged batteries every day.

Just a point on wind turbine security when away from the van. It is possible to have a footplate that you drive on to as a base for the mast. Unless they have a Stihl saw, the thieves would have a struggle to nick the turbine.

Mel B - 2010-11-04 6:45 PM

... You might also attract the unwanted attention of some pole dancers too if you're not careful ... although I could see that some might find that a bonus! :$

Are you volunteering Mel ? :$ :D

Nope, sorry, don't do dancing - I'm more likely to shimmy up it! However one of my work colleagues tried pole dancing classes but she's had to stop it, quite apart from all the bruises she got, she's a big girl and I think the pole nearly broke! :$

Archived