Trip number 2 now complete, time to moan!

deerhound

Just arrived back after 4 days at a site that I used several times renting their cabins. I was advised to book in advance which I did, but on getting there the place was nearly empty, we were sited away at the far side where it flooded (there was lot of rain over weekend) and under trees, wellies were on and the carpet lifted, it was Friday, and after a stroll around decided to enquire about the pitches at the entrance which were empty, no flood water or trees, but advised they were already booked. However on Saturday afternoon we noticed pair on Motorhomes had arrived and were sited there, on speaking to chap in caravan adjacent to these pitches he informed me they were full service pitches with grey water drain and TV plug in etc which were kept for those and such as thoses, I did discover that these deluxe site were same cost as where I was, and was advised to moan in future, So I am learning! Moan over.

Crikey ! That seems very unfair to me!

I did use a C&C site last weekend, I had left notes on my booking form, via the members booking facility asking for a quiet pitch and where we had stayed before only to be put somewhere totally different - clearly they had not read my notes....

I also phoned to say we would be slightly late (still before check in time) but they had not picked up their messages either - club rules ask you to phone if you are delayed....

:-)

Reading this and the much longer other C&CC thread, there is something that keeps cropping up.

Flooding.

Not for a minute am I suggesting this is peculiar to C&CC sites but there certainly seems to be a trend. Is there any particular reason for this?

Only being a CC member I can't comment on C&CC sites.

Martyn

LordThornber - 2010-11-02 4:11 PM

Reading this and the much longer other C&CC thread, there is something that keeps cropping up.

Flooding.

Not for a minute am I suggesting this is perculiar to C&CC sites but there certainly seems to be a trend. Is there any particular reason for this?

Only being a CC member I can't comment on C&CC sites.

Martyn

Might not be any more flooding than usual, just more people going away at this time of year ?

Guest JudgeMental
probably site on restricted land? no building due to being in a flood risk area? So a cheap place for a campsite as no viable commercial use? *-)

LordThornber - 2010-11-02 4:25 PM

Malc, my query is why does flooding get mentioned so often on C&CC sites?

I've not identified this on any CC threads. Are C&CC sites more prone to flooding, and why?

Curious Of Blackburn

Are we talking sites or pitches here?

C&CC have a few *sites* which are prone to flooding, Keswick and Boroughbridge in particular, because of their location.

I was on Baltic Wharf CC site last week for the first time, and they had flood evacuation instructions on display.

The last site I saw with a significant number of *pitches* flooded and out of use was Grin Low CC site, about a month ago.

I think the issue is pretty universal if it rains a lot.

Interesting stuff.

I was referring to sites,as it happens I've been a member of the CC for 11 years and seen only one flooded site.

I was (am) curious as to whether there is any significant difference in both clubs site locations and/or how well they're maintained as whether one clubs locations flood more than the other.

The Judges point could be a clue.

Sorry for thread hijacking by the way.

Martyn

CC York.  Lots of flood info, and a fairly regular tendency to flood.

We have had, I am told, a wet summer.  :-)  Ground wetter than usual for time of year, so additional rain soon results in flooded, or at least waterlogged, pitches. 

Motorhomes on waterlogged ground, unless it has been stabilised, tend to bog in, leaving the pitch cut up and basically useless until it can be sorted and seeded next spring. 

My guess is that motorhomes are being denied access to waterlogged pitches to protect the grass, and those incidents are being reported as due to flooding. 

However, there are a number of lakeside and riverside campsites (like York) run by both clubs, any of which must have some risk of more serious flooding due to their locations.

A lot of differance between flooding and a few puddles. I cannot think any site would put you on a flooded pitch as original post suggests. All CC sites I have been on keep you off pitches that are very wet with good reason. As has been pointed out the ones at York and Bristol can both flood and excauvation proceedurs are in place. I have stayed on a couple of sites in the Loire when river was high and they kept people of the riverside pitches. Personally if I was directed to a pitch that was unsuitable I would take no notice and park on another one that was OK.

Archived