Winter Storage

graemepd

I have just recently bought a 3 year old Autocruise StarSpirit and because I am brand new to motor homing, can anybody advise on how long a battery should last when the van is being stored (it has a Sigma Alarm fitted) before I would need to "give it a run"

Thanks

I store my van over winter for 3-4 months. For the engine battery, mine is now 8 years old and still going strong, even with an alarm feeding off it. Still starts first time after 2 months rest. The leisure battery is another matter, anda more delicate type of kit, having needed replacing twice. Best advice with a leisure battery is to disconnect it if you do ot plan on using your van for a month or more, which allows it a longer life.

However, if you can get at your van during winter storage, it is a good idea to move it monthly, if only round the yard, as it stops the tyres getting 'tired' by having to stand on the same bit of rubber for the whole winter. I have been able to do this, so have avoided premature replacements. Run the engine long enough to get warm, which will top up the engine battery.

Hi

At 3 year old your model could be either a late "old" model or an early "new" model Peugeot.

If the new (current) style model battery drain is greater thanan older model.

Our 2009 Autocruise Sportstar reduces the Battery voltage to 12.2v in 3 weeks. Our previous 2006 Bessacarr on the Fiat chassis, generally took 6 weeks to drop this far.

Both Peugeot & Fiat come from the same Sevel factory.

Although it costs, get a solar panel rated at 80Watts together with the appropriate regulator and also fit a "Battery Master" betwee nthe engine and accomodation batteries. Problem solved, unless you store the vav under cover. Costs - Solar panel around £600 fitted + £60 ish for the battery master which allows surplus electricity to be transferred to the engine battery.

There are probably older threads and articles in MMM to explain more fully.

Mike - now back from Spain one week late due to French strikes.

Your alarm will cause additional battery drain, and will probably be fed from the starter battery.  I would suggest checking weekly at first (being prepared to take it out on each occasion, if necessary), because you won't know how well the battery has been treated by the previous owner.  If the charge is low when you visit, I'd suggest you need to drive it at least 20 miles for the charge from the alternator to be of much use for another week.

If the van is stored in the open, a solar panel will be the best way of ensuring the starter battery is kept charged, unless a mains supply can be made available.

If stored under cover, a mains hook-up will be essential to maintaining the charge.

The alternative to a mains hook-up, will be to ensure the battery is fully charged when you leave it, and then disconnect the battery.  This will eventually "kill" the alarm, so it would probably be better to de-activate it first.  The benefit of an alarm while in secure storage is in any case questionable.

In preference to physically disconnecting the positive lead from the battery, it may be better to have a reasonably accessible battery switch installed, so that the operator of the compound can re-connect the battery should it become necessary to move your van, for example in the event of a fire.  This will prevent items such as the radio, the alarm, and other electronic monitoring systems draining the battery, so if the battery is in good condition, it should hold its charge for several months, although it would still be desirable to drive the van monthly, to circulate the fluids and warm everything up. 

A switch will also make life much easier for you when you arrive to drive the van.  You will have to re-enter the radio etc codes each time, and you may get some odd behaviour from the engine for the first few miles as it re-learns it is a van, and not a pop-up toaster!

Archived