---

Madmaggott

---  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After having to pay a £25 penalty charge because we apparently should have paid twice to park in a council car park on the IoW I am very interested in how many others have been caught out in this way.

We read the notice to find out the charges and despite instructions and tarriffs being stated for HGVs, coaches, motorcycles and of course cars there was no guidance for 'oversized' vehicles.  We therefore parked 'tidily' keeping the isles clear and paid £3.75. 

On our return we were surprised to see the PCN on our screen and also those of 4 other motorhomes, only one MH had 2 tickets displayed.

I believe that the council sees this as 'a good earner' so does not make clear it's parking policy regarding MHs.

Have you also been caught out?

Dave, my point is that this was not made clear.  We always read the tarriff board and do not attempt to park without paying the due fee, in this instance we would however have just gone back to site to eat instead of paying for a meal in town. 

I am not against the council setting a fee for parking, just the fact that they seem to deliberately try to catch owners of 'oversized' vehicles instead of clearly displaying the fee due.

can't comment about IoW, but there's normally a requirement to park inside the bay not 'tidily'

in which case - you were warned - by taking two bays you're preventing someone else parking and thus paying for that bay,

so they're not profiteering

Madmaggott - 2010-11-02 7:57 PM

There was also a large estate car which took up 1.5 spaces, this did not get a PCN.

Probably a local, they can park anywhere.

like the ones in my home town who seem to be able to park anywhere, usually the ones who run or own a local business.

Hallii

Madmaggott - 2010-11-02 7:44 PMDave, my point is that this was not made clear.  We always read the tarriff board and do not attempt to park without paying the due fee, in this instance we would however have just gone back to site to eat instead of paying for a meal in town. 

I am not against the council setting a fee for parking, just the fact that they seem to deliberately try to catch owners of 'oversized' vehicles instead of clearly displaying the fee due.

From your reply I assume that you did take up more than one parking bay. In that case it would seem obvious to me that you should pay for two bays.D.

As an IOW resident I am sorry that you fell foul of our local council and its parking fines. It does clearly state that you need to park within the chosen bay. Parking fines are fairly issued, in other words if they catch you for any reason not following the letter of the rules you will receive a fine. For example motorcycles are free but only in the designated parking bay. Your vehicle must display a valid tax disc. As far as I am aware this is the same as anywhere else in the UK. Read the small print carefully if you did use 2 bays you should pay for 2 bays. If you did not use 2 bays phone the council promising to follow up your complaint in writing. My one and only ticket was canceled by a phone call. I have not had a problem with a fine parking my 7 meter m/home with its rear overhanging a grass verge. :-S

Graham has more info, IIRC some councils allow you to park across two bays if you pay for two, but others will fine you even if you pay for two tickets, there is usualy a phone number on sign for further info. Last time I pull up to park for shopping couldn't make out if I could pay for two tickets, couldn't get a signal on phone so drove on to next town which as it happens had free parking outside the shop we used.

We did appeal but it was refused so chose to pay the £25 rather than try to take it further with the associated stress and hassle and, without legal assistance, almost certainly find that we still had the appeal refused.  This would double the fine to £50.

I did ask for information as to what percentage of vehicles being given PCNs are motorhomes but apparently this info is not available.

We previously visited the IoW when we had a caravan and we purchased 2 tickets on that occaision (same car park) because the instructions regarding charges for trailers was clearly stated.

All I ask is that charging authorities give clear instructions.

In the council's response letter they said that we should have parked in a large bay but all of these were for HGV or coaches and with signs stating that any other vehicle parking in those bays would be subject to penalties.

I give up!

In future we will stick to touring France and leave the towns in the UK for those in cars.

I think that it would have been worth a further appeal. If there was no signage to indicate that vehicles must park wholly with a parking bay, and nothing to indicate that, if two bays were occupied, two tickets must be purchased, then you had no way of knowing that you should have purchased two tickets.

Out of interest what was the actual offence quoted on the PCN?

We parked in one of the town centre car parks in Battle, Kent recently. Unusually the entire Traffic Regulation Orders were on display alongside the Pay & Display ticket machine, unfortunately they were completely illegible due to water damage! We needed to occupy 2 bays but had no way of finding out if this was required, or even allowed. Luckily there was a parking officer lurking so I asked. He said that as it wasn't very busy one ticket would be ok. I still don't know if it was actually allowed or not.

AndyC

Andy_C - 2010-11-05 6:32 PMI think that it would have been worth a further appeal. If there was no signage to indicate that vehicles must park wholly with a parking bay, and nothing to indicate that, if two bays were occupied, two tickets must be purchased, then you had no way of knowing that you should have purchased two tickets. Out of interest what was the actual offence quoted on the PCN?We parked in one of the town centre car parks in Battle, Kent recently. Unusually the entire Traffic Regulation Orders were on display alongside the Pay & Display ticket machine, unfortunately they were completely illegible due to water damage! We needed to occupy 2 bays but had no way of finding out if this was required, or even allowed. Luckily there was a parking officer lurking so I asked. He said that as it wasn't very busy one ticket would be ok. I still don't know if it was actually allowed or not.AndyC

We've binned the ticket so I can't say what it said, sorry.

Likewise we always ask the attendant if possible.  We have never been told to buy 2 tickets; they always say 'one vehicle so buy one ticket'!  Of course, now we just won't know whether to trust this advice or not.

All of the car parks that we have used in Wales have had a tariff stated for various vehicle types and mostly with an outline of the vehicle shape as well.  They obviously aren't interested in reaping the rewards resulting from obscure directions.

Archived