spending in europe

KeithR

Guest pelmetman

Re spending in europe, my sister inlaw who has a place in France said the other day that not many fuel stations will take UK credit cards 8-)

Is this the experiance of other members (?)

We have decided to continue our historical practice of ‘loading’ cash into our Nationwide (NW) FlexAccount before going abroad and then using the FlexAccount debit-card to withdraw euros from foreign ATMs.

For us, the idea of swapping our main (Santander) current account to another bank/building-society just to get free-of-charge foreign ATM withdrawals has no attraction. The NW fees are not enormous and we’ve calculated that we can pretty much offset them by keeping the cash we plan to spend abroad in a Santander interest-paying savings account until near to the time we need to move it to our FlexAccount. We understand this procedure and it’s worked well for us over the years. Where we live there are Santander and NW branches within a stone’s-throw of each other, so transferring cash between them is straightforward.

Despite assurances from banks/building societies that transferring financial products is nowadays easy-peasy, that’s not been our experience and, unless there’s a no-brainer incentive to transfer, we won’t.

pelmetman - 2010-11-03 8:44 AM

Re spending in europe, my sister inlaw who has a place in France said the other day that not many fuel stations will take UK credit cards 8-)

In 11 years of visits, we've never had our UK issued cards refused.

Martyn

This may help taken from Moneysavingexpert

"Dump Nationwide's debit for travel spend

It's now charging - ditch it & use the new 'best cards' for overseas spending

RIP Nationwide's cheap debit card for travel spending. On Mon. the Building Soc added a raft of overseas fees. Now you'll need a special overseas spend credit card - just ensure you repay IN FULL to avoid interest. Top worldwide: Most plastic adds a hidden 2.75% load to exchange rates - so £100 worth of Euros costs £102.75. The Halifax Clarity card is load free worldwide (you get perfect exchange rates), has no ATM withdrawal charge, though you pay 12.9% APR on cash withdrawals (£1ish per £100) even if you repay in full. Top Europe card with perks: Nationwide's* cheap overseas credit card still lives. It's load-free in Europe, you get a year's extended warranty and purchase protection on UK-bought electricals and it lets you shift debt to it at 0% for 15mths with a 3% fee (16.9% APR after). Top with Travel Insurance: Sainsburys* Gold card (9.9% APR) has ZERO usage fees - no load, ATM or interest on cash. Yet it charges £5/month, but you get free worldwide family travel insurance, which at effectively £60/year is a competitive price. Want a debit card? The only fee-free overseas card is from London branch bank Metro, though Norwich & Peterborough BS is launching one in Jan. FULL info, pros & cons in the Updated Guide: Cheap Travel Money Related: £14 Travel Insurance, Cheap Flights"

Sorry links above have not worked try this http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

Dave

No, never had one refused for fuel. Now even the 24 hour unmaned pumps will take them.

Guest JudgeMental

never had a problem with a credit card either? :-S

These "new" cards, do they pay a commercial rate of exchange.......as a bit hopeless otherwise dont you think?

Guest pelmetman
rupert123 - 2010-11-03 9:59 AM

No, never had one refused for fuel. Now even the 24 hour unmaned pumps will take them.

Its obviously my sister inlaw then :D She must look like a dodgy customer (lol) ................................well she is a civil servant (lol) (lol) (lol)

Until two or three years ago, automatic PAY-AT-PUMPs in France only accepted French cards, as they used a unique system. I got caught a couple of times on Sundays, and had to give a friendly Frenchman cash to use his French card for me. For once, it was the French out of step with the rest of Europe, not us!

Not had the problem recently, and I remember being told that the Frecnh were finally catching up with everyone else on this.

As regards the cards, I'm going to carry on with my Nationwide Flexaccount Debit Card, as I'm hardly ever outside of the EU and don't seem to get stung for these fees. Also, I still find their actual exchange rates very reasonable.

as i use my account regularly, both in UK and abroad, i think this debit card looks good. it is also visa as is nationwide.

nationwide first stripped the account of its interest, and now its free europe useage, so really it has little to offer that cant be found elsewhere. however, i have a local branch (not so with n&p), it gives instant transfers, has good security and i have had good service from them. i will wait til the n&p gold debit card is in action, before i decide whether to go or stay 8-)

both my nationwide debit card, and my not nationwide credit card, have been regularly accepted at fuel stations (and everywhere else)

Archived