Belgium Seeks to Prohibit GPS On Some Roads

Way2Go

Apparently the Authorities in Belgium are seeking to prohibit drivers from following their GPS in certain areas where an official detour is in force. Signs are already up but it has not been made law and so cannot be inforced yet. Here is what they say . . . . . .

"In Belgium, The Prohibition Of The continuous GPS signal to propagate. It's not a fad but a way to make life easier for motorists to avoid some errors due to guiding.

The use of GPS is being challenged in several European cities. The use of GPS Being Challenged in IS SEVERAL European cities. In recent months, we see growing on the roadside more and more signs prohibiting the use of GPS. The new signage was put in place in order to make life easier for motorists, because the gap between the discount cards and the actual condition of the roads would cause many inconveniences to drivers.

In Belgium, the Flemish Automobile Club, the VAB has taken this issue very seriously, and advised to ban GPS in work zones. Indeed, drivers, even when they are faced with a deviation persist to listen the sweet voice of their GPS rather than follow the signs that indicate the correct route to follow. The ban has Already Proven Itself In The Netherlands.

But in France and Belgium, this new sign is not yet included in the highway code and therefore does not yet have legal status. The use of GPS in an area where it is forbidden thus is not yet the offense, but a simple gesture of common sense which aims to save time for motorists and to ensure safety urban dwellers."

I'm glad my SatNav talks more sense than they do - and that I'm not planning to visit Belgium anytime soon!

But seriously, anyone who follows their SatNav when there are clear signs of a temporary diversion deserves to get lost!

Just follow the diversion signs and the SatNav will catch up eventually, once she realises you're just NOT going to make that U-turn - EVER!

Tony Jones - 2010-11-05 10:48 AM

I'm glad my SatNav talks more sense than they do - and that I'm not planning to visit Belgium anytime soon!

But seriously, anyone who follows their SatNav when there are clear signs of a temporary diversion deserves to get lost!

Just follow the diversion signs and the SatNav will catch up eventually, once she realises you're just NOT going to make that U-turn - EVER!

just have to admire her patience tho, human navigator would've throttled you long ago :D

I often run with the sound off anyway - I study the route before setting off - sat nav acts as a reminder, and guide for lane requirements on messy junctions - I really love that option

Not sure why anyone would be stupid enough to follow satnav when a clear diversion is in place. The only problem with diversions, in nearly all of europe, is that they are usually rubbish especially in France where they seem to give up after a few turns leaving you completely lost.

Ahhhh! but, what if some swanky little village or town Mayor decides that he/she doesn't want vehicles passing through?

Already I see signs in France banning Camping cars from the town centre.

Is this the thin end of the wedge?

Will we be forced onto main roads only and only allowed to pull off at an Aire?

Who knows?

Hallii

Ahhhh! but, what if some swanky little village or town Mayor decides that he/she doesn't want vehicles passing through?

Who knows?

Hallii

rupert123 - 2010-11-05 11:10 AM

Not sure why anyone would be stupid enough to follow satnav when a clear diversion is in place.

not stupid perhaps - as much as totally self absorbed - rules apply to 'ordinary plonkers - not me' - you must've come across them, I sometimes think they comprise about 50% of the population

:D

hallii - 2010-11-05 12:16 PM

Who knows?

Hallii

don't you think we've brought this upon ourselves - as a group I mean - cos as individuals it's always someone elses fault [see previous post *-)]

but I've seen large clomping big motorhomes parking where they like as they like regardless of the locals

Normandy Municipal sites are now charging more for motorhomes than caravans - wonder why - couldn't be because super sizers spoil pitches and on occasion block the light

*-)

hallii - 2010-11-05 12:16 PM

Who knows?

Hallii

Don't take it so personally. They are banning GPS, not motorhomes.

It may well be that they get too many commercial juggernaut trucks thundering through their towns and villages and, quite understandably, are trying to stop them.

Banning GPS , its against Belgium law to use cruise control whatever next their roads litterally shake your fillings out is there really any point in transversing Belgium what a crap place anyway my father wasted 3 years of his life living in trenches over there in the 1st WW and watched his brother blown to pieces now when they shout " JUMP " as usual our government says " HOW HIGH "

Blimey Kelly, that's a bit harsh! They are only stopping their use when there's a detour in operation! What's that got to do with WW1, or any war come to that. What is the UK government supposed to do? Invade? Return their ambassador? Boycott the ferry from Ostende?

It's their country they can bring out any law for temporary diversions they like. Chillax!

I found two references to the cruise control ban, from 2004 and 2005, relating to roadworks around Ghent and Antwerp.  I have found nothing more recent, so assume the roadworks have completed and the ban been lifted.  It seems cruise control was being blamed for a spate of accidents at the roadworks.  A more likely cause would seem to be normal inattentive Belgian driving practise!

Does anyone know the source of the information in the original post regarding banning of GPS?

Thanks Barry. 

This bit "The new signage was put in place in order to make life easier for motorists, because the gap between the discount cards and the actual condition of the roads would cause many inconveniences to drivers" should really be translated to say: "The the new signage has been put in place because the maps contained in may GPS units are out of date, leading drivers to follow unsatisfactory routes".

As the signs lack statutory backing, they should presumably be treated as advisory, and are probably better interpreted as meaning: "Diversion: follow signs in lieu of GPS".

It seems that the main preoccupation is with keeping drivers to the designated diversion, the problems arising where, presumably, the GPS finds a "cleverer" route, and drivers assume (possibly correctly :-)) that the diversion signage has just petered out.  This can be a bit of a lottery.

The banning of GPS guidance is not, as is acknowledged in the article, statutory, and the reaction of trying to impose a blanket ban is illogical, because some GPS units will have more up to date maps than others, and the different makes have differing routing logic.  We have to hope that a more logical approach will be adopted before any such ban becomes statutory.

Though unstated, as in this country, most of the problem presumably relates to HGVs getting stuck.  The lesson, in simple terms, is not to turn off the GPS, but to follow diversion signs until convinced they have been discontinued and, if in any doubt, consult an up to date map before turning off.

From experience, some of these diversions are due to extensive road closures for major works, and may send traffic on quite lengthy detours, frequently via a nearby town, to ensure routes are reasonably navigable by buses and HGVs.

Archived