FUel Economy

Big Momma

I know that this question will depend on a number of factors such as weight, driving styles and speeds etc. However, before I bought my new van I read posts and articles from other users and owners of vans with the FIAT Comformatic 3.0L Automatic engine that they were reporting 25-27 miles per gallon. My van is still fairly new and only done 3,000 miles so far but I am only getting a return of 22.6 mpg. Can anyone tell me if this will improve ?

I agree with Clive, but I think many are relying on their Speedo calculation as opposed to actual checking. (brim to brim calculation)

The Speedo is calculating based on a MPH, which will be reading fasterthan actual.

See http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=21246&start=1

POI - Many Owners report increasing MPG, as they "run-in" their engines, forgetting to partly offset this because as a tyres wear the rolling distance reduces & again increases the Speedo calculation difference.

Edited to add:-

I suspect that all Motorhome Reviews quoting MPG figures are based on Speedo readout, as the reviewer may only spend a short time with the vehicle & will not be able to measure actual consumption & MPG.

But elsewhere you also said: "I have an Autotrail Comanche that is 8.7 metres in length and weighs in at 5 tons."  I assume it is also a tag axle, so adding extra friction from extra pair of wheels.  All of which points to a van that is never going to win a fuel economy rally.  I'd have thought, under the circumstances, 22.6 mpg (presumably from the vehicle trip computer, that is almost bound to be optimistic) would be pretty good.  To be honest, anywhere better that 20mpg, with that bulk/weight, seems pretty good going to me.

Our van is 2.2ltr on a 3300kg base. Having just done a 4032 mile trip as Flicka says brim to brim we did 29mpg. Vehicle now having done just over 6000miles, I have noticed a slight improvement in consumption.

I know this is not a heavy van but I am a bit heavy footed, but we did a fair amount of Mountain driving.

Brian Kirby - 2010-11-05 4:00 PM

But elsewhere you also said: "I have an Autotrail Comanche that is 8.7 metres in length and weighs in at 5 tons."  I assume it is also a tag axle, so adding extra friction from extra pair of wheels.  All of which points to a van that is never going to win a fuel economy rally.  I'd have thought, under the circumstances, 22.6 mpg (presumably from the vehicle trip computer, that is almost bound to be optimistic) would be pretty good.  To be honest, anywhere better that 20mpg, with that bulk/weight, seems pretty good going to me.

Not complaining about what I am getting, just wanted to check to see if this sounded alright or whether I should expect to get a higher mpg. I am extremely impressed with the Van as a whole, a lovely motor to drive and to live in. Yes it is a Tag Axle and thank you for enlightening me about the added friction, I had not considered this :$

Brian Kirby - 2010-11-05 11:05 PM
Big Momma - 2010-11-05 10:43 PM .......... Yes it is a Tag Axle and thank you for enlightening me about the added friction, I had not considered this :$

I'm not claiming it would make much of a difference, but it must have some effect.  Every little helps, so to speak!  :-D

Brian, as always, your comments and advice make good sense. My previous van had a 2.8 Diesel JTD engine with manual gearbox and just a single axle. It was 7.5 metres long and weighed in at 3.5 tons. I drove in much the same manner as I do with the new van but got an average of 25mpg so the current figures sound about right. Thanks again.

Archived