the dreaded midges

HWO

Hi

We are sort of planning a trip up the West coast of Scotland next year, and we began to think about our new four legged friend.

Do the midges attack dogs as well as us?

The little sods find me quite a good meal.

Is there a proper doggy midge repelant?

Do I need to dunk her in a bucket of Avon skin so fresh, or do the midges and dogs keep their distance from each other

HWO

Guest pelmetman

We found that our old dog Byron use to cover his nose in mud to try to stop them biting.

Todays Thrift Tip :D

Heard on radio 2 this week, apparantly if you use your own pee, rubbed on your bare skin that deters midges, this was from a fisherman :D

Probably will keep everyone else away as well (lol) (lol)

We use a "Scalibor" collar on our Springer, it protects against ticks (necessary in Scotland), fleas and sand flies. I suggest that you contact either the manufacturer or your vet to see if it will work against midges. For about £12 for 5 months protection it's very good value for money even if it only stops ticks & fleas. We used to take our Weimar (very short single coat) to Scotland and he never seemed to suffer and our Springer has no problems but she has a thicker coat, our main problem had always been ticks especially in areas well populated with deer.

Have always been bitten by mosquitoes in Italy - until we started on the Marmite. 6 weeks before we go, Marmite in sandwiches, and on toast.

Have not been bitten for last 4 years!!

Am told brewers yeast tablets taken for a weeks beforehand works too!

Have not experimented with Scottish midges yet though - not sure if they are partial to Marmite!

David

duetto owner - 2010-11-07 9:06 AM

never seen the midges in scotland, may be because when we go there its always raining.

perhaps they only come out in the dry season, but never worked when this is.

David how far north of the border have you been

Thanks for replies.

I like marmite, Co-pilot hates the stuff.Not sure about the mutt, but when you see what she eats when we are over the fields, she will probably love it.

looks like I need to increase the intake of beer to get the raw material to make everybody midge proof.

HWO

Thanks for replies.

I like marmite, Co-pilot hates the stuff.Not sure about the mutt, but when you see what she eats when we are over the fields, she will probably love it.

looks like I need to increase the intake of beer to get the raw material to make everybody midge proof.

HWO

Syd - 2010-11-10 12:30 AM

Avon "Skin so soft", or a very similar named cream, most definately works on the Scots midges.

They hate the stuff, the fishermen DO use it, all of the time

Avon Skin so Soft but only the 'Summer Fresh' version

Alf

If you do not like Marmite then take plenty of 'B' vitamins beforehand. It is supposed to do the same thing.

I say supposed to because nothing works for me. That is how I finished up with Malaria a couple of times.

Using pee would not have worked either as there were plenty of other disgusting odours where I was. 8-)

Archived