Tyre pressure gauges - caution.

Brian Kirby

You may have noticed how many of the above are now digital.  You may not have noticed how relatively few of the non-digital type are still available.

I haven't noticed if any of the digital gauges are rechargeable, but the two Michelin keyring ones (car + van) I got from Halfords some time back aren't.  The van one was fine, until...............the battery began to fail.  There was no indication of low battery on the gauge but, before it actually stopped working, making its state abundantly clear, I was a bit puzzled by some of the readings, indicating unexpectedly low pressures. 

We were in Greece at the time (never happens at home, does it? :-)).  

I use a bicycle track pump for topping up the tyres in preference to filling station air lines, because so few seem to have adequate pressures for motorhome tyres.  Fortunately, the track pump has a built-in gauge - though with a coarse scale - so I used that to check the indicated pressures across axles, increasing the higher one by about 5psi, then raising the lower to match.  (I run our van below the Ford/Hobby recommended pressures, based on actual laden weights, so there is headroom to do this.)

What struck me, however, was the sheer inconvenience of a failed digital gauge when abroad.  I am now awaiting delivery of a non-digital dial gauge to keep in the van!  If you have a digital gauge, and go to places with unknown airline standards, especially for extended periods, you may wish to consider doing likewise!  :-)

I have 2 non digi guages, but neither register high enough for M/H so always use digital, mind I rarely check tyres when away, just go round on hard level ground and look at them carefully, not technically correct but has worked for me for over 50 years.

This topic seems very topical, as I was going to ask a relevant question anyway.

Which is this:

Can anyone recommend a gauge (either digital or not) with the probe on the very end of the tool?

I've got three gauges but none will work on the 'van as the valves stems are too far recessed. As I've been researching tyres lately, I have discovered that the metal valves supplied on motorhome wheels (which seem to be fixed using nuts) don't project much beyong the rim and are certainly not flush with the wheel trims. Of course, this may not be the case with super-shiny alloy wheels, but I ain't got them!

So, as usual, any help gratefully received.

Hi. For sometime now, us cyclists have been saying that a good qualilty bicycle track pump, with its accurate pressure gauge is a good way to maintain your MH tyre pressures. If you find that the wheel trim is restricting access for the valve adaptor, do what I did, remove the wheel trims and file the trim away round the valve cut out to provide clearance for the adaptor.

Brian B.

Flicka, that looks like a good website, but all the gauges seem to have what they call an "offset head" (what I would call angled) rather than the connector being on the actual end of the probe.

Re-the track pump Brian. I too am a keen (proper?) cyclist but the head on my track pump is a 25mm diameter chunk of brass and most pumps I've seen have an angled head also. If I try and file off some of the wheel trim to fit, they may end up half-moon shaped!

Thanks for your replies, I'll keep looking.

If you go onto google shopping and put in "tyre pressure gauge" you wil see a whole manner of different gauges are listed.

Take your pick, but whatever you get do check it against a known good gauge. Easier said than done because even your friendly garage one might be out since it was last calibrated. So just check against a few for confidence.

Brain, must be a year to 18 months ago I read your comments on track pumps and bought myself one with aluminium tubes. Really pleased with it and so easy. Gauge on it is fine for a guide so just over inflate to pressure I want and let a few psi out when using my seperate 'accurate' gauge.

Jon.

Ah yes reading post 2 up. The inflation head. A lot come with this muckle big double valve size things. Massive and does not fit. I forgot about that, but I use the old hose of my Bosch electric hand pump and an extension. You can buy valve connectors on their owm and could change the one which comes with the pump, or better still buy a tyre valve extender to use when punping up tyres.

The extenders look like they would do the trick.

I thought I might have had them on my (newly purchased) 'van, but when I investigated, mine are just extended caps. When they are removed, the valve itself is well-recessed, causing the current problem.

I am hopefully having new tyres fitted this week and have asked for new (metal) valves as part of the deal. I'll wait and see what they turn out to be. It may be though, that I'll end up keeping the exisiting stubby (nutted)ones and have new inserts (as some have suggested on other posts).

Thanks again for your replies (and to Brian K for hi-jacking his thread). :$

Archived