Hymer over-cab bed collapsing

crob

Has anyone suffered an over-cab bed collapsing in a Hymer A type?

Two years ago, the hydraulic gas strut on the off-side seized up, and in the process of forcing the bed back up again to make travel possible, all the side arms were damaged beyond repair, on both sides. This was repaired by Hymer in Preston.

This year, the off-side of the bed failed again. This time, it was some kind of retaining circlip/split pin which holds the front end of the hydraulic arm to the side of the van on a spigot, that has come away/sheared, or whatever. The front of the bed was hanging down preventing any view through the windscreen on the off-side. This occurred early one morning whilst we were sleeping in it. Had it come adrift a couple of days later when we would have been driving it, I dread to think what may have been the outcome.

I am trying to get Hymer to recognise the potential seriousness of this event, and also to accept that there must have been some negligence when the bed was repaired two years ago - either defective workmanship or faulty materials, or both. So far, I am failing in both respects.

Does anyone know what vehicle authority should be involved to report this potential disaster? Is there any "muscle" I can bring to bear on Hymer, other than a Small Claims Court? But then, how could I prove negligence?

Has anyone else had similar problems to this? Is this a fairly common occurrence? I would have thought that over-cab beds should be "designed for life"?

Colin Robinson.

I would have thought that the gas struts are merely there to stop the bed dropping down with a bang when you unclipped the bed, and not to offer any support to the bed when in the down position. This should be held by the folding mechanism at the sides of the bed.

The bed wouldn't be able to fall down whilst you were driving, unless you forgot to clip the retaining strap in when you put the bed away.

We were in Italy when the bed fell down on my head but without any injury as the belt took the load. Rang Preston and they could not help but gave us the address of a dealer where we could buy them. The only thing was it was their holiday coming up that evening when we arrived . Bought two and went accross the road to a space and fitted them , only it was not just that. First the tempeture was about 35o and for the first one i found it a devil , the other was a piece of cake.Bye the way when it happened i went into a builders yard and bought piece of timber to hold it up.

Archived