GOING ABROAD LONG TERM

Riggy

Thanks Brian,

Yes I was referring to the mains hook up and your advice is great.

We have now revised our plan and we will bring the MH back to the UK within the insurance limitation (9 months) and return to France in our car for the winter months.

This way we can have the MH service with our dealer.

On the quality side I was only referring to the fact that some looked cheaper while others were better, but in our cost bracket and layout preference the Autotrail ticked all the boxes.

Kind regards to all who have responded so far.

Adrian

Petra - 2010-11-11 3:17 PM

Most of the points have already been covered but it is worth noting that Caravan Guard told us that our UK Motorhome would not be insured when parked on the drive of our house in Greece and had to be lived in or parked on a site.

Yes I was insured by them and only found out by sheer chance that I was not insured in the same circumstances in France so I had to change to Saga.

Riggy - 2010-11-08 4:40 PM

We are just buying our first Motorhome, a new Apache 634U and plan to spend most of the next two years touring Europe on our long planned “dream” now the kids are gone. We have a place in Brittany which we may stay at while not touring and only come back to the UK for short breaks to visit the family.

Can anyone help or advise me with on the following questions:-

1)If we are only in the UK for say 1 month will this be ok with the insurers?

2)Do I have to be a UK resident to insure in the UK, we may apply to reside in France to make this our base, but still come back to the UK 1-2 months per year?

3)The Motorhome will be UK registered, if we left it at our place in France while we were back here and just re-tax it, are there any problems?

4)Because the Motorhome will be new I have assumed the three years before it needs an MOT will be OK to drive in Europe for this period?

Any help or advice will be greatly received, or if you could point me to the right web site or advisor/book.

Kind Regards

www.motorhome365.com a site for Fulltimers that may assist with some of your questions, including ones that you havn't asked yet.

I am glad to hear that I gave you food for thought. Strangely enough it also clarified my own position, especially regarding the habitation door's position. Your plan sounds a good one - at least you can try it out and adjust if necessary. Having to return to the UK for the MOT is a nuisance but also if left off the road in the UK the date is not so critical. Not so in France as there is no leeway with the date - miss it and pay a large fine.

Hi Riggy, Sorry, but here is something else for you to think about. I have been reading these posts but there is no mention of servicing or warranty issues. I noted that you will come back at least once a year for residency but will that coincide with the manufacturers service / habitation check instructions? If you do not comply with the approved servicing etc. you may then negate any future warranty issues that could arise during the relavant early years of ownership.

I would not like to think that having invested so much in a new vehicle that you have further expense due to none compliance with servicing or habitation checks! A neighbour of ours had a less than 3 year old top of the range large Motorhome that developed a wide crack on the outside between one of the windows and a locker door. He was told either an invisible repair or a full new offside would be required. The manufacturer fixed it because he had had his services books stamped on time by an approved agent. If you are away for a long time can your vehicle be acceptably serviced / checked in another Country? I do not know the answer but I would want to find out before setting off! I am not trying to put you off or spoil your enjoyment, but reality can be expensive!

Please, read the manufacturers service instructions carefully, they are quite specific!

Regards - barbarian

Hi Barbarian,

Yes we are returning to coinside with the servicing requirements, good point.

To Ejay, MelB, ian81, SM, Losos, Petra. Roger, Keithhl and all who have responded, I have read and followed up all.

You have helped me no end in formulating and revising our plans, I now feel very comfitable that we will be doing the right things (mostly!).

We set off next year when the MH is ready, can't wait.

I will have other questions, but these will be on another thread.

Kind Regards

Adrian ;-)

• 4 months later...

Hi this is Riggy by another name....

Update

We have bought a Autotrail Apache 634 liking the rear lounge layout.

We are fitting a tow bar to carry our bikes as this does not obscure the rear window view. We are also going for a Gaslow system and Strikeback Alarm system.

All the above sounds easy now we have made our minds up, but represents months of research and brain overload.

We are going on a 9 month tour of Northern Europe as far as St Petersburg and plan Southern next year.

Insurance has been an eye opener with difficulty getting cover for our bikes and valuables. Van and health was not easy going either.

We are planning to use Vodafone passport and Frequent data traveller to keep in touch as well as free wifi when we can get it.

Thanks to all who helped with this thread.

See you out there...

Regards

Riggy

We are nearly there and depart late April.

Hi again Wil (Riggy)

Pleased you've got what you wanted, I note you're getting a towbar fitted - have you checked your fully laden weight and axle weights to make sure you're 'legal'? If not, I'd suggest you do it before you get the towbar fitted! :-D

Wil - 2011-03-19 10:19 AM Hi this is Riggy by another name.... Update We have bought a Autotrail Apache 634 liking the rear lounge layout. We are fitting a tow bar to carry our bikes as this does not obscure the rear window view. We are also going for a Gaslow system and Strikeback Alarm system. All the above sounds easy now we have made our minds up, but represents months of research and brain overload. We are going on a 9 month tour of Northern Europe as far as St Petersburg and plan Southern next year. Insurance has been an eye opener with difficulty getting cover for our bikes and valuables. Van and health was not easy going either. We are planning to use Vodafone passport and Frequent data traveller to keep in touch as well as free wifi when we can get it. Thanks to all who helped with this thread. See you out there... Regards Riggy We are nearly there and depart late April.

Re St Petersburg, I believe the general advice is not to take motorhomes into Russia, unless in an organised party.  I seem to remember it is possible to go to Finland, and take a train in from there.  Seems to be regarded as bandit country!

Just a thought on the difficulties of getting bicycle insurance for your trip: why bother?

If you carry expensive, new push bikes, especially on an external rear rack, they may well be a thief target....and they'll also send a signal that there may well be lost of other shiny new stuff inside the MH too...............

But a cheapo, old, battered but functional 2nd hand pushbike for (say) 30 quid is, I'd have thought, far far less likely to get nicked.

And it it ever was, it'd probably cost less than the insurance premium to replace.

Dunno about the rest of Europe, but here in Spain Carrefour are doing basic pushbikes, brand new, from 79 euros (about 70 quid)

OK, so they'll be chinky ones, made of cheese, and will rust at the first sign of rain, but 79 euros for pities sake, brand new....including shimano gears, lights, front suspension, mudguards.

At any "rastro" (sort of car boot sale) in Spain you'll see dozens of old but mostly fully functional pushbikes for maybe 30 euros.

I'd go for old battered pushbikes for our MH every time.

Maybe food for thought?

Wil - 2011-03-22 9:32 PM

Anybody been to Russia recently around St Petersburg, we also plan Estonia, Latvia and Lituania?

There's a very lengthy and detailed travelogue of a recent motorhome trip to Russia here, I'm sure you will find it full of interesting information.

Good luck with your plans and travels :-D

• 3 weeks later...

Archived