Microwave Power Consumption

terryW

Microwave Power Consumption  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sorry if this has been asked time and time again but a search of all threads using the keyword Microwave found only one.

For the first time we have a van with a microwave fitted. I know the initial surge is high on such a device so calculating the average input power is no help.

I am looking to see what power supply fellow campers have been able to operate a microwave on so we can plan accordingly

As Colin has mentioned, there will be a plate, usually on the rear (occasinally on the bottom) showing the input power needed, this will be anywhere up to a third higher than the output, so if you've got a 1000w output microwave output, it could need a power input as much as 1500w.

To work out the amperage you need to run a microwave, once you've got the input power requirement, just divide this by 230v to give an idea of the amperage needed, ie 1500w input = 6.52 amps approx.

Afraid it's well built in, a major problem to other than the front.

But I have always understood that the initial power surge caused when the magnetron kicks in is likely to take it outside the normal power rating and can trip the power. That if it normaly draws, say 5 Amps then it may well trip a 6A supply or higher. Am I wrong?

Afraid my experience of microwave tecnology has more to do with Radars and NOT cooking airline pasengers than cooking meals! :$

Afraid it's well built in, a major problem to see other than the front.

But I have always understood that the initial power surge caused when the magnetron kicks in is likely to take it outside the normal power rating and can trip the power. That if it normaly draws, say 5 Amps then it may well trip a 6A supply or higher. Am I wrong?

Afraid my experience of microwave tecnology has more to do with Radars and NOT cooking airline pasengers than cooking meals! :$

Archived