Brownhills, Praise where it's due.

Rayjsj

Have just had to try out Brownhills after sales service (and i must admit to feeling a bit unsure of what it was going to be like). We have had our 'new' (to us) Autocruise for just over a month now, and we have only just managed to get away in it for a good 'Shake-down', a weeks stay near Birmingham (to see the 'Kids'). And the water Boiler (calorfier) attached to the Eberspacher heater started to leak, when under pump pressure, enough to soak a Towel overnight anyway.

Called up Brownhills SWest, where it was purchased from. Got passed to 'Steve' the workshop manager, he listened to the symptoms and agreed it sounded like the boiler tank had a leak,he said how soon can you come ? I'll order one straight away for you, and added ,it will be here tomorrow, I said the day after tomorrow, he booked me onto their overnight 'Aire' at Swindon, (very Safe, guarded by a Brigade of Gurka's overnight) SO, within three days of the fault being noticed I now have a NEW boiler that doesn't leak, and I must say that I am very pleased with their Service and attitude to their customers.

(ok, cynics may say that it should have been picked up on the PDI ?)

but either way I'm impressed with the fast resolution. Well done ! Hannah and Steve ! Ray :-D

Guest Tracker

It is always good to hear the good side of Brownhills and maybe if a few more people have good experiences cynical old buggers like me might even start to consider shopping at Brownhills.

How's it going Ray - still liking the van - was it a good trial week overall?

Guest pelmetman

Perhaps someone from Brownhills has read a few of the threads on here and make an effort for members of the forum :D

Am I really that much of a cynic :-S (?)

Rich,

yes, we both love the van, don't know how they managed to squeeze so much into 20' 2.1/2'' ?? thats no longer (much) than a PVC. It handles great because it is low to ground and has a good wheelbase. And a great payload 739 kg. Had it waxoyled on Monday,(boy, does that stuff stink !!).

And the Boiler fixed, quite eventful.

As an aside, the new Swift Starburst is Nearly 21' and only has a 430kg payload ??? what did they do ?

Also sent you a PM.

regards Ray

Hi,

Yes, I live in Fishguard, a stones throw from the ferryport (if you are a good thrower !) But i had the waxoyling done at Rugby 'Before n After',

His adverts are in MMM, while I was visting 'offspring' in Birmingham .

You aren't supposed to sleep in the van for two weeks after having it done, and i didn't intend to.... BUT, the leak happened, so we turned on the Omnivent and hoped for the best, and we are alive.. but it was cold. and still a bit smelly. He (Chris) is a bit eccentric , but he does a good job,

and his loan car (a Honda Grey Import not normally seen in the uk) is fun to drive. Glad we had it done as we intend to keep the van for a while, and living this close to the sea..... it needed it. Ray

We also were reluctant to use Brownhills after reading some of the adverse comments but as they were the nearest dealer to us decided to risk it. Service received so far has been excellent although we ended up dealing with the Durham branch as we spoke to their salesman at the show.

Rayjsj - 2010-11-10 11:11 PM

Hi,

Yes, I live in Fishguard, a stones throw from the ferryport (if you are a good thrower !) But i had the waxoyling done at Rugby 'Before n After',

His adverts are in MMM, while I was visting 'offspring' in Birmingham .

You aren't supposed to sleep in the van for two weeks after having it done, and i didn't intend to.... BUT, the leak happened, so we turned on the Omnivent and hoped for the best, and we are alive.. but it was cold. and still a bit smelly. He (Chris) is a bit eccentric , but he does a good job,

and his loan car (a Honda Grey Import not normally seen in the uk) is fun to drive. Glad we had it done as we intend to keep the van for a while, and living this close to the sea..... it needed it. Ray

Thanks Ray.

I was hoping that you had had it done locally and yes I have seen the adverts and am quite impressed by them.

One question though, how do you know you live close to the sea?

Every time I visit Fishguard there's a thick mist, with the sea nowhere to be seen (!)

How do I know that i live near the Sea ? I can hear the Fog Horn on Strumble Head. And we have just had a big storm, and I have had to clear the seaweed from the front garden. So it must be fairly near.

I was reading somewhere the other day that the Brownhills Dealership in Canterbury in Kent had been 'Mothballed' ?? how do you mothball a dealership ?? and does it have that funny smell (like Waxoyl does) afterwards ?? just a thought, Blimey they (Brownhill customers in Kent) have further to travel than Me. *-) Ray

I have only read bad things about them too, But then, when people receive good service they rarely talk about it, which is wrong I think.

hence, this thread. They seem to be making an effort, and should be praised for doing so. Everyone that I have come into contact with at Brownhills has been very obliging and professional, thats MY experience anyway. Ray

We bought our van 8 years ago from Brownhills, and have been back various times to get it serviced at Newark. the trick to get good service is to actually get to talk to someone who does things rather than a salesman (who probably used to sell Volvo cars) or the receptionists in service, who are just computer operators and phone answerers. I was talking to a receptionist a year or so back about a misfiring problem on our Fiat, which the local Fiat dealer was wanting to do an expensive repair on, and the service manager was just passing. No, let me look at it, he said, and correctly diagnosed a much cheaper repair! We will certainly be back!

Many moons ago when the 'Brownhills' posts originally started I was first to jump on the bandwagon to 'bad mouth' them. Prior to the management buy out I had nothing but praise for the Newark depot. Unfortunately after the buy out I had a couple of bad experiences with the Swindon depot and again very recently not good customer service. HOWEVER !! if there has been improvement then let's acknowledge it, the fewer dealers there are the further we have to go to get work done, spare parts etc. And then the fewer the dealers the higher the prices for servicing, repairs etc.

I would still be reluctant to use my local 'Brownhills' after personal experience but the more the good reports keep coming the better the future may be.................. *-) *-)

Alan D - 2010-11-15 6:45 PM

Well it`s not that you havent been warned. There are plenty of bad experiences out there.

If you like to take risks with your savings against all advice why not swop for a boat and take a cruise down the coast of Somalia?

Alan.

Alan, Have you bought a motorhome from Brownhills we have, and I am talking about a personal good experience with Brownhills

Phil

Just had a phone call to offer a free weekend away at Brownhills SW.

Evidently a 'hog roast' a free coach trip, Sunday lunch etc., sounds nice,

but as i live 200 miles away, and have just got a stinking cold think we will be giving it a miss, nice gesture though.

Nice to think that they are investing some of their profit back into their Customers. Hope that they keep up the good (my experience) after-sales service too. That experience lasts far longer than a weekend 'Freebie'.

Ray ;-)

Alan D - 2010-11-15 9:06 PM

Yes Phil I have, and when you have a spare couple of hours I will relive the whole nightmare for you.

Alan.

Alan, Sorry you had a bad experience, I will listen to anyone who has personal experience of Brownhills, good and bad. I just feel they do not get a balanced view on the forums from people who have never bought from them. Did they sort the problems in the end for you? Hope so

Phil

Have to add my part to this : We had an excellent service in April this year from the Newark branch. We part exed our Autotrail Arapaho for a Swift Kontiki 669, we were given a part ex price over the phone and this was stuck to once they had seen the van .... Only gripe was picking the van up, we had to 'hang-around' 4 or 5 hrs whilst they finished PDi'ing the vehicle but this is just me being picky !!!

We did encounter a few minor after sales problems but these were all dealt with very well, could have been a bit quicker but got there in the end!

Was told something I would pass on to anyone : Because of Brownhill's buying power, you tend to get a good deal. Take the deal if it is what you are after and understand that the after-sales service may not be what you expect .... don't bother with their warranties etc if you live 4 or 5 hrs away as you may as well get the work carried out locally. Obviously water ingress etc is a different matter but for general items, water pumps and so on, don't bother! This way you get a cracking buy but you are not left fuming because you expect Brownhills to put everything right ( I know people will say it should be right in the 1st place but hey, they are salesmen ) ... sure you understand what I am trying to put over !!

So, overall ..... Yes, I would praise Brownhills >>>>>>> :-D

Archived