Split opening habitation doors

chas

Looking around the Nu Venture 2 berth coachbuilts the other day and noticed they incorperated split habitation doors on some models.

My old van used to have this feature and I really miss its advantages, and thought that perhaps regulations had imposed the full height one piece door.

If one manufacturer can offer it, shame the others cant, as it offered many advantages, particuly for pet owners, or owners with young children, including the vans cook.

I guess you are referring to the old 'stable door' arrangement that was very common on UK caravans and motorhomes in the 1990s.

I'm pretty sure there are no regulations that might inhibit motorhome manufacturers from fitting stable-doors, but the design inevitably lacked rigidity and, based on my own experience of the stable-door on my Herald, offered poor insulation, poor wet-weather sealing and laughable security.

I can understand the potential attractions for families , pet-owners, etc. that you mention, but I'm not sure how many owners of motorhomes with modern solid one-piece doors would consider a stable-door an attractive alternative.

Guest pelmetman

We have a stable door and would really miss it, especialy with having the dog.

Our friends have a lunar caravan which has a stable door, but they cannot leave their dogs alone in the van as the handle is susceptible to being knocked open by the dogs.

Some of the 'New' breed of doors, Seitz etc., have an incorporated large opening window (at least some have) which would perform the same purpose I would have thought. Ray

I wouldn't trust my black Labrador Wendy just behind an Insect screen,

if a cat walked passed (as happened last week at Chapel Lane CC site) she would be straight through it without slowing down. 8-)

Archived