Spain Winter Trip

Henods

Can anyone offer advice to us as novice motorhomers planning to travel from northern Spain to the Med coast to enjoy some winter sun. We have spent some of the Summer in France, but Spain is a bit of a closed book. So any advice on the best route to take from Santander, good campsites along the coast, away if possible from high rise developments etc. We have got the Aires book for Spain and the Caravan Club site book 1, but would be looking to stay on sites with hook-up and the usual facilities etc. Any info would be really welcome.

Just travelled on the route between Santander and Alicante. Travelled via Burgos and Madrid. The road is excellent and the total toll was 1.9 euros around Madrid. You could try the inland sites around Fortuna. 23 degrees in the Costa Blanca today.

The Santander crossing can be very rough. The staff described my trip last week as "wobbly". A cabin is essential in my view to help combat seasickness. I stayed in bed watching TV for much of the trip and found as long as I didn't walk around the feeling of sickness was kept at bay.

Not sure how long you intend to stay but I recently looked at a few sites on the East Coast of Spain (Valencia and below) and they offer great deals for stays of 30 days or longer. The longer you stay the cheaper it is, La Manga for example works out at £8pn (including electricity) for 91 days or even cheaper for longer periods.

Get the ACSI DVD, they generally give the website addresses so you can go direct to the campsites web site and check out the pitch sizes available, the facilities available over the winter season and more importantly the cost of the pitch. Some have a fixed charge for pitch & electric for a 30 day period and then charge at another rate after the 30 days. Others just quote a fixed price for the duration.

Bonterra Park is another good one, Indoor swimming pool open in the winter months, walking distance to the beach, walking distance to the town and supermarkets and walking distance to the Rail station (To Valencia 1 Hour).

Archived