Domestic Fridge in Caravan???

Guest P.McShane

Guest P.McShane
Hi Have contacted local caravan breakers none have a suitable replacement for my Electrolux 212 B which is definitely defunct. I tried turning it as suggested in the Forum and although the exhaust pipe heats up the fridge does not cool down. I don't know what else to do? Would it be possible to use an ordinary slimline domestic fridge with a 12v/240v converter or would the movement of the caravan on the road cause operational problems for the fridge as I know when you get a new fridge they always say let it stand and settle for a number of hours before turning it on. Many thanks and please excuse my ignorance. Mrs.P.McShane.

Guest Frank Gordon
I know people have used domestic fridges in motorhomes, but I'm a bit wary of the effect on such a fridge of the much harder ride produced by most caravans. You'd also have to bear in mind the periods when your fridge wasn't being powered by your car's alternator and you weren't connected to a 230v power-supply (ie. when you would be using gas with a 3-way fridge)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chris
Hi Frank, I have been using a table-top fridge in my tent (towed in a trailer) and now plan to use it in my foldinf camper, and am not concerned. I've never had problems before, and have been doing this for 3 or 4 yeard. However, I'm not sure what sort od effect this is having on my fridge! Not too bothered though because it only cost me £30 on ebay!! Happy camping Chris.

Hello Mr P.McShane, Take your fridge out of the van, put it up side down overnight. Remove the excess of rust on the pipes, including the cheminey (remove the aluminium paper). Take the injector appart and blow in it. Make sure nothing is obstructing the injector hole. Blow into the gas pipes as well, actionning at the same time the gas weel. To be efficient, use a compressed-air blower (as they use in garages). Then put everything back together and try... Good luck! Ty.

• 4 months later...
Guest David Chapple
If you use a 240V only fridge then how will you keep food cold whilst travelling? If thats not important to you then a domestic 240V fridge should be OK.

Archived