Grassington info req

ips

Off to CC site at grassington (wharfedale) in a few weeks for mrs ips's birthday. Any reccomendations as to decent restaurant within walking distance of the site (I assume the village is walking distance looks about 1 mile away) would rather have restaurant than pub unless the pub is very very good.

Many thanks

I thought I'd posted once, but it appears to have gone into thin air!

Grassington is walking distance, (though I am a walker), but is not a short stroll. At least 2 miles each way, and a dip in the middle.

Also, to exit the site you have either a long stretch of unlit road with no pavement, or the the back entrance, quicker, but an unlit footpath that can get muddy.

We use the footpath.

Whilst I haven't eaten there for a couple of years, we have had good food at the local pub in Threshfield, which is easy to reach via the footpath and is now the closest food outlet.

http://www.oldhallinnandcottages.co.uk/

You may get to see the Grassington Dickensian Festival, which is a bit of an acquired taste, but something to see. (A bit like Lincoln Christmas Market, it is a victim of it's own success in attracting far too many people).

Nice site, and good walking round about.

Thank you for the info grassington is further than I thought but no probs cos we like walking. Wont be walking at night in nthe dark though so your inn reccomendation looks good, nice menu as well.

Is this walkable at night reasonably dressed up ?

Thanks again

I'm always a bit wary of recommending anywhere, since tastes in both food and surrounding differ, but it was fine when we last ate there, and looked busy when (somewhat more recently) we passed.

Hope it is still OK.

The best way out of the site is via the footpath I've mentioned, which is at the opposite end to the vehicle entrance (and is on the site map). We've always gone for a pitch down there anyway.

The first bit (hundred yards or so) after leaving the site is prone to getting muddy if it has been at all wet, but it leads out onto a fairly solid lane, which goes down to the road. No real problem in walking it, apart from potentially muddy shoes.

You'll need a torch for this bit, but once on the road, not a problem, as it is lit all the way (either to the Old Hall in Threshfield, or from there on to Grassington). (You *can* cut across the fields from here to the pub, but at night and dressed-up it is simply better to do a dog-leg via the road).

Not much over 1/2 mile altogether to the Old Hall.

If you *are* there during a Dickensian Weekend at Grassington (3 Dec onwards), be aware that eating anywhere in Grassington during the daytime will be a nightmare, and this may roll-over into the evening.

(It really does get that busy - park and ride down the road, and a procession of buses and coaches).

Thanks, road it is then.

Wont be there for dickensian thingy and if its anything like the xmas market at york then I am glad, went last year (and going this year cos mrs ips and mini ips like the shops) and it was unbeleivably busy, couldnt get to the stalls to buy anything even if you wanted to... :-S

Stayed on the same site earlier this year. Beware, the road route does not have a footpath and it is a busy road. The footpath out of the back gate can be a little muddy when it has been raining so this is a down side, however, it is only a small stretch to negotiate. Once you have negotiated it turn left along regular foothpath passing houses, well lit road. Once at end of that road turn right on to another 'normal' footpath in to the village and 'Old Hall' pub is on your right. It has a nice restaraunt and the staff are fairly attentive. My only complaint was that I ordered a Steak 'Medium to well' and it still came out almost 'moooing'. Grassington is quite a fair walk, it is doable but you will certainly have earnt your meal once you get there. There were no local taxi firms in Grassington so remember you have the walk back ! There is a bus service but it is an hourly service from what I can recall. Site is lovely, facilities very good and there are lots of walks direct from the site although at this time of year you will need walking boots and wet weather gear as it will be muddy. Worthy of note, you will see signs for the 'Gamekeepers Inn', the signs are still in situ and it is referred to on one of the local walking maps, however, it is no longer open.

Robinhood - 2010-11-12 11:27 AM

The best way out of the site is via the footpath I've mentioned, which is at the opposite end to the vehicle entrance (and is on the site map). We've always gone for a pitch down there anyway.

The first bit (hundred yards or so) after leaving the site is prone to getting muddy if it has been at all wet, but it leads out onto a fairly solid lane, which goes down to the road. No real problem in walking it, apart from potentially muddy shoes.

In our experience it's not only the mud you have to watch, but dog's poo!! Although there is a dog bin at the gate which leads from the site to the footpath, there are still some inconsiderate dog-owners who don't clear up after their dog. I know, I stood in some with my walking boots and it was a devil of a job to clean off! So especially in the dark - beware!

There was also a pub on the adjacent static/caravan park, I think that may have been the Gamekeepers Inn Big Momma referred to. Shame it's closed, we had a few nice meals there, but that was a while ago.

Ina.

Fair point, as it is the dog walkers route, although cannot say that I encountered the same problem as you, but not nice if you do :'( My only additional comment about the road route is that the sides of the road are long grass. If you have to step off the road because of vehicles then you are going to get wet shoes and trousers. Additionally there are no street lighting to my recollection until you get closer to the village. Not a walk I would suggest you take during the hours of darkness. Take a torch with you, whichever route you take (If it were me I would opt for the footpath and take some kitchen roll to wipe off any surplus mud from the shoes). However, enjoy your meal and don't forget to be discreet when helping her indoors blow out all the candles on the cake :D :D :D

ips - 2010-11-12 11:34 AM

Thanks, road it is then.

Wont be there for dickensian thingy and if its anything like the xmas market at york then I am glad, went last year (and going this year cos mrs ips and mini ips like the shops) and it was unbeleivably busy, couldnt get to the stalls to buy anything even if you wanted to... :-S

get in and out early - much better

Ina - 2010-11-17 2:52 PM

Robinhood - 2010-11-12 11:27 AM

In our experience it's not only the mud you have to watch, but dog's poo!! Although there is a dog bin at the gate which leads from the site to the footpath, there are still some inconsiderate dog-owners who don't clear up after their dog. I know, I stood in some with my walking boots and it was a devil of a job to clean off! So especially in the dark - beware!

There was also a pub on the adjacent static/caravan park, I think that may have been the Gamekeepers Inn Big Momma referred to. Shame it's closed, we had a few nice meals there, but that was a while ago.

Ina.

Errrr... maybe not the only thing to watch out for .....this is our van in early december last year!

David

Oops - sorry - can't seem to download the picture - too big I think but it shows our van beneath 12 inches of snow and the previous year we had to cancel due to the site being snowbound!

David

However, enjoy your meal and don't forget to be discreet when helping her indoors blow out all the candles on the cake :D :D :D

:-D i wouldnt have enough blow in me to put em all out..............sshh dont tell her I said that. (lol)

UPDATE

Excellent weekend, managed the footpath ok in the dark with torch not too muddy and no dog doo's to report. Had a really excellent meal in the Old hall restaurant. Food was lovely and the service was excellent, I booked on sat afternoon for 8pm and asked for a nice table as was mrs ips's birthday, they gave us a good table in the corner and did some table decrtoation so nice touch I definately reccomend it. Walk into Grassington went without a hitch took about 30-40 mins (we were not rushing) walk round village bought new flat cap from very good (and expensive) country clothing type shop. Had lunch in one of the many cafe's altogether a very nice indeed weekend.

So thanks again to all who replied to original question.

Archived