French Passion

kelly58

Next year will be our 5th year of touring France " hopefully " ,we have always used Aires or campsites in the CC ASCI off season camping guide , but we have not to date used any French Passion overnight stops is it really worth the 29 euro's for the privalige to use these overnight stopovers ? or do most people use French Passion mainly too feel safe when they park up overnight ?

As you must be aware we are users and great supporters of the aires system, but are also members of France Passion. In the main we use this as "insurance" in case the aire or aires we are aiming for are closed or not suitable i.e. France Passion gives us a back-up if needed. That said there are some excellant France Passion stops, the one at Grasse comes quickly to mind, and using them gives a different insight into France. Unlike the aires, where you only make contact with French people if you want to, on France Passion stops you must make contact with your host. This we find adds to the experience, as all we have met have been freindly, and certainly helps improve your French. One downside to the France Passion stops however, is that many are a long way out and the roads are often narrow and with few passing places. They are sometimes difficult to locate, no sat nav co-ordinates are given, and the instructions in the book do not always tell the whole story. Remember one which appeared not far from a main road but the narrow bridge with 2.5 T. limit and no turn possible was not mentioned! (the bridge did stand the weight of the van!)

So is it worth joining? On balance would say yes (we are in our 6th year). It is certainly better value than say the caravan club, and does give you a fall back if like us you are aires users.

robertandjean - 2010-11-13 8:54 PM

It is certainly better value than say the caravan club,

Sory but that is hardly a good comparison, I wonder how much the subscription would be if they provided Free Hot Water for Washing Up, Free Hot Water for Showers, Heated Toilet Block, Large manicured pitches with Electricity, Grey Waste Disposal, Black Waste Disposal etc. etc *-)

kelly58 - 2010-11-13 8:08 PM

Next year will be our 5th year of touring France " hopefully " ,we have always used Aires or campsites in the CC ASCI off season camping guide , but we have not to date used any French Passion overnight stops is it really worth the 29 euro's for the privalige to use these overnight stopovers ? or do most people use French Passion mainly too feel safe when they park up overnight ?

I believe you are going to need to join and use the France Passion scheme and then decide for yourself whether or not the subscription represented good value for you.

We've been France Passion (FP) members for quite a few years. We mix FP sites, aires and campsites according to our requirements (and whim) at the time. FP sites should provide a much higher level of overnight security than any 'aires' (which normally have none), but that's not usually a deciding factor for us. We like the novelty that a stay at a previously-unvisited FP site brings and we enjoy meeting the owners.

If you SEARCH the forum using

Keywords=passion

Filter by author=robertandjean

Date limit=All posts

you'll retrieve plenty of earlier comments about France Passion.

Hi, We have used France Passion sites on several occasions, and have been pleased with them. No site fees, (and no obligation to buy any of their produce, but they appreciate it when you do),quiet safe places to stop, friendly hosts, good practice for french speaking tourists, (not always necessary but helps if you can understand).

The downside is no satnav details to find them, frequently obscurely hidden signage, narrow access road, and often misleading directions in guide book.

Sat nav details were offered a number of years ago by Phil Whiles and I received a set from him which I have edited into a form for my own use. As I understand it, he has given up motorhome use, so I dont know whether the original list is still available, neither do I remember his email address.

I would like to update my own list but my copy of 2010 book has been disposed of at the end of our holiday (incorrectly) so I wonder if anyone can loan me a copy (or even a 2009 copy)so I can add to my own file. A PM acknowledgment would be appreciated. (The 2011 copy is not due until March)

I dont run my own website, so I cant publish the file, but it could be made available by email if required.

tonyg3nwl

We were very keen to use FP as I wanted to 'practise' my, very basic, French and to buy from artisans.  However after failed attemps to locate 3 of them and having to resort to staying on an aire that would not have been our choice otherwise, we gave up on them.

I think this is a shame as it is, in theory, an excellent idea.

We have just return from France ,and although members of French passion never used it ,we did stop at vineyard near St Emillion, not FP .It was 5 eurors

but while I used the loo ,the woman sold my wife a 12 euro bottle of red wine ,not not so cheap and we don't drink red wine ,we used aires for 2/3 nights then a camp-site for a good wash etc etc .

tonyg3nwl - 2010-11-14 1:11 PM

...Sat nav details were offered a number of years ago by Phil Whiles and I received a set from him which I have edited into a form for my own use. As I understand it, he has given up motorhome use, so I dont know whether the original list is still available, neither do I remember his email address...

tonyg3nwl

See the following for Phil Whiles' email address in March 2009:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/continental-touring/11203-france-passion-pois.html

Big Momma - 2010-11-13 9:23 PM

Sory but that is hardly a good comparison, I wonder how much the subscription would be if they provided Free Hot Water for Washing Up, Free Hot Water for Showers, Heated Toilet Block, Large manicured pitches with Electricity, Grey Waste Disposal, Black Waste Disposal etc. etc *-)

Yes you are correct to point out that caravan club sites do provide some or all of the facilities you mention together with great views of lines of caravans. France Passion stopovers, on the other hand, provide in the main just an overnight parking place with great views over a vines, olive groves etc.

But the main difference, and why we think F.P. is better value than C.C. is that when you arrive at a C.C. site you pay something like £20 for staying the night, in addition to your annual subscription. When you arrive at F.P. you pay nothing extra for staying the night. (O.K. your host is pleased if you buy some produce from him/her but we have never been pressured to buy. We are often keen to do so however, as the produce is often of high quality and at a good price. Even if do buy then still much cheaper than CC site!

Big Momma - 2010-11-13 9:23 PM

Defiantly not a good comparison especially if you consider there aren't any CC sites in France.

The last place I would want to stay is a CC site horrible overpriced square of grass with St. Major Wardens. I have a van with shower washing up sink 12v electricity why would I want to pay twice for it.

BLIMEY - FRENCH PASSION!

I thought we just stayed on alternative aires. The passion this subject has aroused is quite something. We've used the French Passion and the Italian equivalent on numerous occasions and have met with nothing but kindness, except twice - once when a lady wanted us to buy too many peaches but we soon got over that and the next was on a French goat farm where the gentleman concerned really loved his goats (oh boy, did he love his goats): we found this out after what was a two hour talk in very fast French (way above our understanding) (lol), however at the end of it we bought some very nice cheese. Some of the other items we have enjoyed buying have been a pair of angora woollen socks, a wonderful beef casserole, superb olives as well as some pretty good wine at reasonable prices. Although we are not easily persuaded to buy wine to put down any more, rather wine to drink now, as we reckon we are maturing faster than the wine! All in all, we think French Passion is a good buy.

By the way, she who must be obeyed kicks me out of bed if I haven't had a shower whether it be on campsites, aires or "French Passion".

Alan

No, and perhaps who knows?

is it really worth the 29 euro's for the privalige to use these overnight stopovers ?

Depends on a number of factors I suppose:

1. Location of the FP site

2. Size of Van (Are the roads and site access adequate)

3. Do you have the onboard facilities to be self-suficient

4. Are you concerned at turning up in the sticks somewhere and finding that there isn't any room

5. How much you spend at these locations on their produce (Foodstuffs or otherwise)

I know that they quote that these lcations are 'Free', but nothing in life is actually free. However, dependent on the time of year you use them even if you spend 10Euro on purchasing their consumables it is a good deal compared to site fees. It is not just the cost but also the ambience of the location.

I would also say that it would depend on how much time you have touring, if you are retired and can casually tour about with no time constaints then ambling through the French countryside would be great. If however you are trying to get to a particular area then how much out of your way is the FP site you are heading for ?

If you are not retired and just on a 2 week holiday then the security of a campsite may be preferred (even at the cost).

If you are going to spend 5-10 Euro at these places then are 'Aires' better value in that they provide Fresh water, Black and Grey waste facilities, sometimes electricity and wc/shower facilities.

It is like many contributors have said in a variety of posts on this forum, it is what suits each individual. With the increasing amount of tourers on the roads these days I suppose we should be thankful that there are a variety of options available for us to rest our weary heads at the end of the day.

Archived