puting my van away for winter

topfitter1

hi all

only had my van (peugeot compass cruiser 740 ) for a few months i am wanting to put it away for winter

1 it has 2 leisure batterys do i have to disconect them

2 i will be putting a full cover over do i have to leave a window open

3 do i have to take out or move the cushions

i will be able to get rid of all the water and as it is parked at my brother-in-laws farm i will be able to call in and turn the engin over every few weeks whitch will help.

any pointers would be welcome

thanks ken & chris

Modern vans can be very comfy and cosy and it can be very nice to get away in the winter. Sites are emptier, and cheaper, roads are quieter and the places to see are less crowded.

Unless it's well below freezing and deep snow you should have no problems if you're sensible. Why not give it a try, you'll love it!

Guest pelmetman

Even old vans are comfortable in the winter :D

We have had some of our best times away out of season, and best of all its cheaper (lol) (lol)

hi all

thanks for your replys i know what you mean by being cosy and the sites cheper

, we would love to go away but my wife is not well and i think b&bs & hotels would be better over the winter months as she is not allowed to get her hickman line wet so bath's are better than showers

ken & chris

The Caravan Club has produced a leaflet on how to prepare your motorhome/caravan for winter. This leaflet includes detailed advice on the water system.

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/1022814/wrap-up-for-winter-mo.pdf

Once I have followed the advice in this leaflet I also drive the motorhome for a few miles to ensure that all the water has drained away.

scramblers - 2010-11-14 8:53 PM The Caravan Club has produced a leaflet on how to prepare your motorhome/caravan for winter. This leaflet includes detailed advice on the water system. http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/1022814/wrap-up-for-winter-mo.pdf Once I have followed the advice in this leaflet I also drive the motorhome for a few miles to ensure that all the water has drained away.

hi,

i think i will leave it uncoverd and take it for a run once a month but do i leave the leisure battery connected

ken

Please dont run the engine for 15 mins or whatever as the dew point of sulphuric acid occurs during this period and the damage caused by this is dire.

Dont cover it either as breathing is essential to keep the van dry. Also do use the clutch with normal driving to release the rust that forms on the plate/flywheel. Disc brakes need frequent use if they are going to remain able to move the rust patch that forms under the resting pad position. Brake grab is made really bad by the pits left behind by the rust.

Leave the batteries connected and connect a timer to the mains and put a separate floating charger in the front and connect the start battery to it. 2 hours per day should be sufficient allowing for the alarm etc. to be catered for but check levels of charge and adjust if required.

If you haven't changed the engine oil do it now and leave fresh oil in for the winter it is a simple job and only takes 5 mins and only idleness stops normally able people from getting their hands a bit dirty.

One last thought is that anyone who has stripped engines down that have been left standing for just a few months knows the amount of rust on valve seats and the other steel parts not under oil makes a less than desirable thing to allow under any circumstances.

Archived