Autumn/Winter Trip 2010

starvin marvin

So here we are in not so sunny Portugal, weather better tomorrow. 6weeks in and £300 under budget. Which is amazing as overall I think Portugal is about the same cost as the UK. Spain seemed a bit cheaper and France is as expensive as ever.

Tonight is number 44ish and this is our third night on a site, so thats a positive. Currently total costs of Aires/sites and fill up/dump points less than 60E, which is all helping the budget and we've stayed on some terrific car parks with brilliant views not like this site, middle of the town and missing the noise of the sea.

We're both really enjoying the trip, and the Camino de Santiago bit we did was special, recommend it, there we just camped in small villages, no problem.

So the next bit is do we linger longer in Portugal or head into Spain???

but would miss not going to the Cabo de Gata region.

I'll let you know.

Hi Marvin, Cabo de Gata can be the worst of places and the best! It has miles of plastic greenhouses and scruffy towns. But it also has fantastic cliff walks, nice beaches and, at this time of the year, empty sites!

We were there last year and the first time we went we were there for 3 hours in a blinding rainstorm and gale. The town was a dump so we gave up and drove off. Five weeks later we went back to give it another chance and had a lovely time. The weather was hot and the wind had dropped and the town was somewhere we passed through to get to the coast.

Good luck! ;-)

starvin marvin - 2010-11-14 5:54 PM So here we are in not so sunny Portugal, weather better tomorrow. 6weeks in and £300 under budget. Which is amazing as overall I think Portugal is about the same cost as the UK. Spain seemed a bit cheaper and France is as expensive as ever. Tonight is number 44ish and this is our third night on a site, so thats a positive. Currently total costs of Aires/sites and fill up/dump points less than 60E, which is all helping the budget and we've stayed on some terrific car parks with brilliant views not like this site, middle of the town and missing the noise of the sea. We're both really enjoying the trip, and the Camino de Santiago bit we did was special, recommend it, there we just camped in small villages, no problem. So the next bit is do we linger longer in Portugal or head into Spain??? but would miss not going to the Cabo de Gata region. I'll let you know.
Keep the reports comming  Marvin ,they help those of us who have not ventured that far as yet, Safe Journey,s  

starvin marvin - 2010-11-14 5:54 PM

So here we are in not so sunny Portugal, weather better tomorrow. 6weeks in and £300 under budget. Which is amazing as overall I think Portugal is about the same cost as the UK. Spain seemed a bit cheaper and France is as expensive as ever.

Tonight is number 44ish and this is our third night on a site, so thats a positive. Currently total costs of Aires/sites and fill up/dump points less than 60E, which is all helping the budget and we've stayed on some terrific car parks with brilliant views not like this site, middle of the town and missing the noise of the sea.

We're both really enjoying the trip, and the Camino de Santiago bit we did was special, recommend it, there we just camped in small villages, no problem.

So the next bit is do we linger longer in Portugal or head into Spain???

but would miss not going to the Cabo de Gata region.

I'll let you know.

Brilliant post, many thanks. Although some may find your account of costs unnecessary, I for one love this sort of real economic detail. Can you let us know how you are doing on Fuel budget, Tolls (if appropriate), LPG etc etc. Site reviews, Free Camping locations also very interesting. Enyoy your trip, wish I was there doing it as well.

Tomo3090 - 2010-11-14 6:04 PM

Hi Marvin, Cabo de Gata can be the worst of places and the best! It has miles of plastic greenhouses and scruffy towns. But it also has fantastic cliff walks, nice beaches and, at this time of the year, empty sites!

We were there last year and the first time we went we were there for 3 hours in a blinding rainstorm and gale. The town was a dump so we gave up and drove off. Five weeks later we went back to give it another chance and had a lovely time. The weather was hot and the wind had dropped and the town was somewhere we passed through to get to the coast.

Good luck! ;-)

Never go to the town, been once though, nothing to write home about. We always free camp in the San Jose area and visit Monsul and Genoveses beaches which are outstandingly beautiful.

spospe - 2010-11-14 7:12 PM

The thing that struck us about staying at Cabo de Gata was the flies!!! We were there in June, so I cannot comment on this time of year, but in June they were horrible ;-)

Never been in June, too busy on the allotment.

Cabo de Gata is a very big place. There is the town Cabo de Gata, very workaday. There is Cabo de Gata, the lighthouse point, very exposed; and there is Cabo de Gata the natural park which is glorious in our view; somewhere we can't miss if anywhere near.

Hi Marvin, we not far behind you, we are currently at the Aire at Castro Marin, had 2 nights at Ville Real de San Antonia ,no problems so far, we have now been out for 60 nights, wildcamping, Aires and Stelplatz,great, we started our trip by travelling the Romantic Road from Wurzburg to Fussen in Germany great trip and well worth doing,fabulous scenery .we then crossed from Colmar to Biaritze in France and then into Spain, a few night stops there and then into Portugal at Miranda do Douro and followed the Douro Valley down,absolutely stunning drive,we are now on the Algarve and just wandering,great life isn't it,no real plans at this time,just enjoying the weather ,and there has been a lot of flies about even now,but a 50 cent swatter from the Todo shop soon puts paid to them.Enjoy the rest of your trip, we are out till May next year so may see you around, I only get internet when I call in at the Libraries as I am here or if I find a WI FI spot so I don't get much contact via the net so am out of touch most of the time, but hey who cares, have fun Malc.

We were at Cabo de Gata last week - our second visit. We were a littie disappointed as the weather was sunny but WILD and as a result it made everything difficult especially standing up straight :'( (The Seascapes were fantastic though) As a result we did not stay but did find a few of good spots up the coast - Cala Cocedores - south of Aguilas, Along the road to a restored tower form El Agua del Medio - North of Carboneras and La Azohia to the west of Cartagena.

• 1 month later...

Here's my update.

Currently 75+ nights into the trip and our camp costs are so far averaging almost exactly 1 euro a night. This includes 4 nights on sites at an average of almost 10 euros/night, the rest is made up of aires costs. We have camped at 45 different locations. We expect that after Xmas our costs/camp will rise to 3 euros/night as we are going to be on a site for a couple of weeks at 11.5 euro's/night. Bread and scrape for Xmas lunch??

Very happy that we are still under budget averaging 223 euros/week against a budget of 250/week.

Presently on the Costa Blanca with 4 weeks left before we get home, rainy old day so far today temperatures in the low teens, deg C. I hear that its turned nasty in the UK, but I'm sure those of you there will cope.

Wish you all a Happy Christmas and Peaceful New Year.

Glad to hear your still ok and still enjoying yourselves 75 days +, something I intend to do health holding out, so I,m keen on your reports and exploits, Sorry to hear about the Rain ,poor soul, I wouldn't rush back here ,weather Abominable,Diesel prices Extortionate, Ferry prices on the rise as is everything else, Cheer us up and tell us what diesel prices are out there and on your touring about, take care.                 Dennis

Corky 8 - 2010-12-18 4:50 PM

Glad to hear your still ok and still enjoying yourselves 75 days +, something I intend to do health holding out, so I,m keen on your reports and exploits, Sorry to hear about the Rain ,poor soul, I wouldn't rush back here ,weather Abominable,Diesel prices Extortionate, Ferry prices on the rise as is everything else, Cheer us up and tell us what diesel prices are out there and on your touring about, take care.                 Dennis

Thanks for the good wishes. I think the last price I paid was 1.17 euro's/litre, its has certainly been in the range of 1.13 to 1.17 for the last week or so, but I usually buy at supermarkets, hardly ever on the main highways.

Archived