Fluorescent lamp problem

davew

Away this weekend the previously flickering fluorescent lamp above the sink all but gave up. Its on but very dim and flickering badly.

Will it just be the tube or will the fitting be shot? If its a bulb then ok I'll just replace it. Any more and I'll buy and fit a LED strip-light replacement.

Thanks

peter - 2010-11-14 10:40 PM

As above.

I have just replaced one it cost £15. If they just go dim it is the tube. If they start to flicker it is a sign that the inverter inside is going faulty. Replaced another with LED but that cost £32 and some work. Noticed a LED unit for sale at £31 where we bought the one I replaced.

All the fluorescent lamps in our 'van are the same type of fitting and so this simple diagnostic test is easy for us to do.............

If you have a similar lamp in your 'van, swap the tubes and see if it works OK. If it does, your problem is with the original tube, if not, it is the fitting.

John Thompson - 2010-11-15 9:28 AM

peter - 2010-11-14 10:40 PM

As above.

I have just replaced one it cost £15. If they just go dim it is the tube. If they start to flicker it is a sign that the inverter inside is going faulty. Replaced another with LED but that cost £32 and some work. Noticed a LED unit for sale at £31 where we bought the one I replaced.

Sorry John, that is not really true. maybe you had one that flickered and was the electronics, but most common fault for flicker, being dim, or slow to light is the tube.

Jon

Archived