GAP insurance for new campervan

dartmoot

I have gap insurance from Brownhills when I purchased my van from them this year, Its through a company called 'Motor Partners' (advent solutions management ltd., ) 0845 241 2169. Don't know how good they are, as i haven't had to claim (thank goodness !) It means I would receive the FULL invoice price in the event of a write-off or it being stolen. cost £399.

Ray

Guest JudgeMental
a car is used daily? a camper mainly for holidays/weekends so a lot less risk? I would not have gap insurance for a car let alone a motorhome :-D

Look at the risk most of us on this site have been driving for 30-40 years plus, how many of you have written off a car? Not many I suspect.

If it worries you Several Motorhome insurers offer new replacement for up to five years for the original owner.

Comfort give 2 years and they are often found to be one of the cheapest insurers with excellent cover.

Well, my VW car (new) was written off by a "T" bone from a 4x4.

I had the extra insurance, my insurance company purchased a new car for me.

Then they claimed the cost from the third party (who got summoned).

So for a new vehicle I would do it again, I seem to recall that the extra cost was about £15, it would be more for a M/H costing a lot more of course.

Hallii

I'd check if your normal insurance covers 'new for old'.

The 2 caravans I previously owned were both brand new and my policy had new for old upto the vans 5th birthday as long as I had continuos insurance with said insurer.

Also check the finer details of a GAP policy as there may be some circumstance under which you can't claim where a normal policy would allow.

I had one for a new car a few years ago and I couldn't claim if I refused my normal insurers first offer , and the GAP would only cover a maximum percentage of the original invoice costs.

As often happens an Insurers first offer can be a lot lower than you think it should be and thus you could still be left short of the original invoice price even with a GAP

Archived