What do you bring back?

magbrin

We will be driving home from Spain shortly, through France and England. We have a Renault Master (MWB) conversion, so not a lot of space. I just wondered what your favourte items are, to bring back from these countries, and for what reason - value for money, indulgence, availability etc

Most space has already been allocated for wine and food- in particular cheeses - but I am keen to hear what other people do - it is a new experience not to be limited to 20kg luggage :D

BTW is there anything that is not allowed from the continent, through customs (apart from the obvious)?

This site may be useful

http://gouk.about.com/od/tripplanning/ss/customsexcise.htm

(For the 'banned' stuff, keeping clicking "Next >" until you reach Page 4 of 5.)

We are increasingly bringing back French wine to the UK in Bag-in-Box containers rather than in bottles. These are much easier to store in the motorhome and can offer good quality 'quaffing' wine at a bargain price if you select carefully from supermarket shelves.

For instance, in September E Leclerc supermarkets were offering J.P.Chenet 1.5litre boxes on a BOGOF basis, with 2 boxes (that's 3 litres overall) at less than €5. However, you do have to be careful not to purchase ancient stock and I won't buy anything that hasn't got a recent (say, within the last 3 months) 'fill date' on the box. You also need to drink the wine reasonably quickly as it's not intended to keep forever.

I like to bring back a few 5L bottles of de-mineralised water (called Eau demineralisee) to use for ironing. We usually stock up at Carrafour or Auchan as a general rule. They're around 1,40 euros each which is about 25% of the price it is here for the asme thing! The shops usually stock it produced by 2 different manufacturers and one is more expensive than the other so make sure you get the right one. Value for money wise, it works out a better deal than bringing wine back! :D

I quite like Sangria, basically because I rarely drink and it's very nice when mixed with lemonade, so bring back a fair few containers of that - it's usually cheaper at Lidl.

Food wise, we like to 'hit' the supermarket on the afternoon/evening before we travel back on the chunnel (morning crossing) and see if they've got anything on special offer, or reduced. Last time we got a large pack of pork which worked out the equivalent of about 1 euro at kilo from memory - and it's absolutely beautiful! I did miss my big fridge though, but the salad survived a day out of it's drawer as the meat was shoe-horned in there (we always take plenty of food bags and cling film! ;-) ). We also buy some bagettes too, to bring back with us and freeze - its a nice reminder of our holiday and goes very nicely when lightly toasted with a spag bol or some other pasta dish, or even the lovely cheeses. English 'French' bagettes just aren't the same.

Before you visit the big supermarkets, have a shuftie round the economy ones, like Lidl, Netto etc as they often have offers on which are much cheaper than the big supermarkets. Last year we stocked up on a load of good quality wine which was rediculously low priced at Lidl - the locals couldn't get enough of the stuff themselves!

Not aware of anything you can't bring back but there probably is something!

Guest pelmetman

The best things we bought back from France were two huge water butts. Luckily we were in our works van at the time having taken out some furniture for my sister who has a place out there.

Sue

Thanks to all so far, a great response:-D

malc d - 2010-11-16 7:46 PM

Hi Magbrin

I'm wondering if you plan to take home anything from England ??

( Don't spend too much time here looking for value for money ).

;-)

Don't intend to spend too much time there, period (as they say) - just wondered if there is anything I should be thinking of --- stilton came to mind, particularly so close to Christmas:-D

sheer lunar-see - 2010-11-16 8:28 PM

If you have time, detour via Andorra and stock up on olive oil, by the 5ltr can load. It is so cheap.

P.S. so is the tobacco, you can also sell it on to yer friends.

except one wouldn't dream of doing that - Customs wouldn't like it

tobacco, you can also sell it on to yer friends.

Er...um..... Sorry to be a spoil sport but that's illegal. However, if you're in Spain a trip to Morrisons in Gibraltar will net you some amazing baccy bargains. The Spanish border police are pretty hot on smuggling so if you have a push bike, make a few trips with your legal limit each time. Do smoke them before you get home though because Gib baccy is clearly marked as such and any over your non EU limit is liable to confiscation at Dover.

French Delicacies we like to bring

300g packs of Confit de Gesiers (Gizzards) de Canard, and Foie de Volailes (Cockerel Livers). Just warmed through and added to a Salad with some rich garlicky, mustardy vinaigrette and a few sauté potatoes. We know it as salad "Landaise", - peasant food from the area called Les Landes.

The best Camembert (I think) in France is by E.Graindorge (Auchan Dunkirk & Calais).

Oh and if we go via Luxembourg, 20 ltrs of Diesel in Jerry cans.

PS. If you can't store all your wine boxes in lockers, be aware that if they just sit loose in the isle behind your cab seats, the police might deem it an "unsafe load". (I was warned about this when I turned up fully loaded at a VOSA weighbridge and the supervising sergeant took a peek inside, - a rather embarrassing moment!)

Wine, coffee, butter, cheese, cherry jam, shoes, didn't bother with olive oil this year seemed as dear as UK.

Made a mistake on the wine, thought the Hypermarket bill was a bit expensive a couple of weeks later when the boss was going through the accounts she queried a 120 euro wine item, I had brought a case of Medoc at 17 quid a bottle :-(

Oh well it was on offer (lol) (lol)

A bit annoying needs laying down for a couple of years before drinking.

cheetahdavie - 2010-11-17 12:43 AM

Dont forget the Wife..??

She always gets brought back??

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm ..................................... there's a thought :-S difficult, though, I am the wife :D :D :D ................. and I am off on a shoe buying spree today, as lennyhb suggests - thanks for that :D :D

Will be out of wifi for a day or two but look forward to some more suggestions on my return - If I am not careful a trailer will be on the list to carry it all :-(

sheer lunar-see - 2010-11-16 8:28 PM

If you have time, detour via Andorra and stock up on olive oil, by the 5ltr can load. It is so cheap.

P.S. so is the tobacco, you can also sell it on to yer friends.

Watch out for the French customs, they will stop you and make you pay a lot of duty or they will seize the goods.

Hallii

Tobacco, tobacco, and tobacco.

Worth bearing in mind that as an EU citizen, so long as you are bringing tobacco purchased in another EU country and thus you paid the duty on it in that country (keep your purchase receipts), there is NO limit on the amount that you can take back into the UK, so long as it is "for personal consumption".

This no-limit principle was upheld by the English High Court a few ( maybe 8?) years ago now, when it ruled that HMRC seizing vans containing loads of ciggies from two British guys returning from France was ultra vires and thus illegal, because their action breached the English law presumption of innocence.

In the cases concerned, HMRC had NO actual evidence to suggest that the men concerned were going to sell on the ciggies, they had acted to seize them purely on the basis that the men were bringing in "too many" of them. The Court ruled that it is NOT for HMRC to "make law on the hoof", and there was NO law preventing people bringing in as much as they want to, so long duty was paid, and there was no substantive evidence that it was not for personal consumption.

Since then, you'll see lots of HMRC info quoting the "guideline" amounts, but that is all they are: guidelines. They have no legal force whatsoever.

Don't be silly though: if you bring in thens of thousands of cartons of lots of different brands of ciggies, every two weeks, then HMRC could argue that this IS prima facae evidence of commercial reselling intent.

But bringing in say 50 cartons of a single brand of duty-paid ciggies/rolling tobacco is NOT illegal.

What you then do with them once you get home is of course a private matter for you and your conscience......................or wallet (ahem).

Archived