James Cook [ Westfalia ]

hymer1942

I used to have a T4 westfalia, very well made and a joy to drive, we needed a bit more space so we looked at the James Cook and had a test drive.

It's to high and IMO did not handle well. Cross winds are a problem.

It is aslo ugly compared to the earlier Californias.

I also noticed that the quality of the fittings and attention to detail was not quite as good.

Have a look at the Hymer Van, that's what I bought :-)

Hallii

Thanks for the reply. as for the hieght my S class is 3.3 metres so that will not be a problem and as for looks thats in the EYE of. The problem is getting to look at one close up. No dealers in the UK, so will probably go to Dusseldorf next year, was just hoping to find someone who had one here. I am just looking in advance when I am ready to downsize, but I would still want a Mercedes base. Barrie

Guest JudgeMental

I have always loved Westphalia's and probably the best van we had was a T3. I saw them at Dusseldorf and did not take any pictures as I was there on a 2 day mission regards Fiat based panel vans. The prices are high...very high, and IMO the vans are over engineered when similar and cheaper solutions are available.

By example there Fiat based Columbus was £60,000 while a very nice Adria with all the bells and whisles is £35,000. lots of used on Mobile,de and you get to see plenty of pictures as well. I might have gone fro the "West van" on the Transit, but that has disapeared, as they got the base chassis/camper from another manafacturer and westy fitted it out themselves..... still some on Mobile.de a cracking van IMO

Thanks Judge for the Mobile,de site I looked and found several 1/2 year old ones to give me an idea. I will now probably go to Dusseldorf next year and do a tour of dealers with available vans. The thing I am really impressed with is the seat bed conversion, thanks again. Barrie

Archived