Wind and alarms!

Caroline

Most alarms have the facility to alter the sensitivity. They also after going off usually have method of telling you what triggerred it. From this you can determine if it is wind affecting the ultrasonic detectors because of draughts in the car, or the vibration sensor. If it draughts it might be closing vents will resolve. Anyway, check the installation manual if you have one, go back to installer and ask them to adjust sensitivity.

close the air vents and if you can face the front of the van where there's less direct impact from wind - mine is parked face onto the front of the house.

I live on a main road and often get the alarm set off when a vehicle speeds past or when a whopping great HGV is stationary at the traffic lights opposite , the virbration from some of them is unbelievable especially if they have climate controlled trailers.

The more often it goes off for no apparent reason the less your neibours will take any notice (apart from getting very annoyed). Read the instructions and see if you can shut off the internal sensors (for instance if a dog was left inside) with mine if i activate the button twice, the internal sensors are switched off. My Toyota rav4 alarm didn't like hailstones, and in the end i had to diconnect the siren, after waking up the whole street 3 times in one Stormy night. Ray :$

just a cautionary note about deactivating any part of a alarm / immobiliser system.

if , like my insurance policy , you are required by the insurer to have such a device or you've advised the insurer you have one , then deactivating any part of it could invalidate your policy and (god forbid) a future claim if it was found to be the case.

That also goes for things like steering locks , if you stated you use them and your vehicle gets stolen with no evidence that the lock was forcibly removed , your policy could be invalidated and the insurer claim you failed to use your stated devices correctly as designed.

Be careful

Thanks for that I was waiting for 57 varieties of answer....!!!!!

Seriously thanks for your advice, like wise I do not think the insurers would be pleased if the alarm was deactivated.

Just a thought for you to ponder………..why is it always at night? Is this called ‘Sods Law?’

Have you tried asking Cobra?  They make/market them, so would seem the logical first port of call.  If they are no help, and the installer can't adjust the sensitivity, consider junking it in favour of a motorhome specific alarm, if you must have one.  I seem to remember other posts regarding variable reliability from Cobra systems.

Wind (either from external or internal sources) should not trigger a modern Thatcham certified alarm. The alarms trigger inputs should be door switches, bonnet switch and ultrasonic sensors in the cab, optionally a PIR sensor can be added in the rear and maybe an anti lift tilt switch. The only one of these sensors that is motion sensitive (as in vehicle motion) is the tilt switch, the door and bonnet switches should only be activated by a door or bonnet being opened. The ultrasonic sensors should only be triggered by something moving within their detection range and the PIR (if fitted) should only be triggered by a moving body (human or animal) within its detection zone.

The ultrasonic sensors would need to be set to a very high sensitivity to pick up anything being moved by the van rocking because of wind but it is a possibility.

If there is a tilt switch fitted it may be positioned in such a way that wind rocking the van could trigger it but its unlikely.

Most alarms will have a "flash code" to show what triggered the alarm, typically this is when you disarm the alarm after its been triggered it will flash the indicators a certain number of times, for example twice for door sensing, three times for bonnet sensing, four times for ultrasonics etc. This information will be in your alarms instruction booklet and will enable you to see which sensor input is causing your false alarms.

Alternatively to prove whether or not it is movement caused by wind that is triggering the alarm try this. Set the alarm and when fully armed try rocking the van by hand from side to side, if this triggers the alarm look to see if curtains are being moved by your actions and triggering via the ultrasonic sensors.

D.

Hi Caroline,

Welcome to the Cobra frustration club.

Im a well established member, who irritated my neighbours with the thing going off for no Apparent reason at the worst possible hours of the early morning.

Brian suggested contacting Cobra, well I can only wish you luck as they have ignored all my e-mails todate (including one sent to their Technical Manager's personal e-mail address).

The main problem I had was that the Alarm code (No. of flashing lights) indicated that the activation was due to the internal sensors tripping.

On one (fortunate) occasion I was close to the Van when the Alarm activated as a double decker Bus passed by. On entering the Van I found that the Airwave must have rocked the Van & the Fridge Door was wide ajar. (Our fridge did not have a fitting to hold it slightly open)

Since then I have been to a local APPROVED Cobra fitter, who has adjusted the sensitivity of the internal sensors.

Note if you check the Cobra website, it shows the Cobra APPROVED installers, our Dealer's installer is not listed >:-(

Just had a cat 1 system fitted to our MH, installer asked if we intended wild camping and wanted doors, bonnet etc protected and if so he would (and did ) install a hidden switch to isolate the internal micro-wave sensor and the "shock sensor".

The latter senses sudden movement and triggers an alarm condition so would have operated as we moved about inside the MH. Perhaps you have a similar sensor which is triggered by wind buffering form either weather or large vehicles passing?

Just a thought I'm still very new to all this! :$

Clive - 2010-11-17 3:04 PM

When I suffer from wind it can be quite alarming because if I don't duck quickly the wife's hand catches me round the back of the head.

C.

So you've got a Turd or is it Toad alarm then have you Clive?. :D

Archived