Waeco twin lens reversing camera

Rod

I have a waeco RV590 reversing camera systemwith twin lens. The camera is an Rv33 and monitor M511L. When driving at night outside built up areas with no street lighting following vehicle headlights appear very bright and cause an almost white out of the screen. Is this normal or do I have a fault. Does anyone have the same system that can help with my query. I am told there should be an auto iris dimmer on the camera. Waeco tech dept and the supplier do not have experience of night time use.

Hi.I think what you have is normal response to sudden bright light. In the dark the auto shutter will be wide open hunting for light, and it will not respond quickly enough, and give the effect that you have. I had a similar problem with my rear view camera, with bright sunlight behind the van, I fitted a shade over the camera to stop this. You could try altering the angle of the camera to stop this effect.

BrianB.

This is perfectly normal. Even the most expensive camera available cannot cope with the light level variations between a dark night and headlights being shone almost directly at it so all will give this effect. To my mind it is of little consequence as when I'm driving forwards all I need to know is that another vehicle is behind me and seeing their headlights in the monitor tells me exactly that.

D.

Rod - 2010-11-17 12:27 PM

I have a waeco RV590 reversing camera systemwith twin lens. The camera is an Rv33 and monitor M511L. When driving at night outside built up areas with no street lighting following vehicle headlights appear very bright and cause an almost white out of the screen. Is this normal or do I have a fault. Does anyone have the same system that can help with my query. I am told there should be an auto iris dimmer on the camera. Waeco tech dept and the supplier do not have experience of night time use.

Another forum member (Brian Kirby) has a WAECO twin-lens system. You might find his comments useful in the following earlier thread:

HTTP://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=21250&posts=22

As Dave Newell says, they all 'white out' in the conditions you've described.

(Incidentally, I'm doubtful that your camera has an iris dimmer as there seems tio be no mention of this in WAECO's catalogue or in the User Manual/Installation Guide for the RV590 system.)

The "auto iris" function is a bit of a misnomer. The reality is that these cameras simply increase the electronic "shutter" speed to compensate for brightness. The reality is there is no shutter or iris, "shutter" speed is simply controlled by electronically switching the sensor on and off at varying frequencies. In very bright light conditions the sensor can be switched on and off at very high rates, the downside is that darker areas don't show up too well as the exposure level is not high enough.

D.

Archived