French aires on google map

wints

I'm just planning our route down to SW France, and then onto Spain for the winter.

I'm sure I saw a google map with all the french aires indicated on it.

I never bookmarked it, and now I can't find it.

It would help greatly in the planning.

Anybody seen it and know where it is ?

TIA

Allen

Hi,

The answer is a mixture of all of the questions you ask,

Some may have a barrier where you use your credit card, some may have a pill box with a person taking your money, some may just have a ticket machine same as a car park and some (quite a lot) are free where you just drive on and park up

Some are just glorified car parks, and some are very near the standard of small campsites with individual marked pitches, some are just open fields.

Some are owned by the town village, some are privately owned.

Some have full facilities some have nothing and anything in between

I have never seen one where you have to book, albeit I think some of the Germany Stellplatz which are the same thing can be booked, but that again is a very small number, most of them as the French Aires are just turn up and park, that's why if its in a holiday spot or place of interest its really worth getting there as early as possible before it fills up.

Hope that helps

ips - 2010-11-19 10:49 AM

Saved it for future reference.

Now excuse my ignorance but some questions on these aire things

do you just turn up and park ?

who do you pay ? or do you not ?

are they just glorified car parks ?

who owns them ?

etc

Hi

We've used the Aires system in France extensively and found them great! We would suggest, however, you contact Vicarious Books at www.vicarious-shop.co.uk and purchase "All the Aires in France" (English edition). They seem to inspect all the Aires listed and we've used this book with great success. Most of them are free, some have a small charge but charge or no charge we shop in the local village or town to repay their kindness.

Alan

Thanks I will definatley get one of the guides you mention and as for shopping locally I couldnt stop mrs ips if I wanted to :-D and we allways like a meal out with a bottle of the local brew of course. Was sposed to be planning for a month trip to france in a couple of years however I am now thinkng about maybe a week in northern france as a taster next year so... does anyone have a reccomendation as to what area is do able in a week, we want typical french rural villages. Also were would one sail from/to, how long is the ferry journey and how much for a 5.99m van. ??

wints - 2010-11-17 12:40 PM

I'm just planning our route down to SW France, and then onto Spain for the winter.

I'm sure I saw a google map with all the french aires indicated on it.

I never bookmarked it, and now I can't find it.

It would help greatly in the planning.

Anybody seen it and know where it is ?

TIA

Allen

Not sure if it will help you but we carry some personally visited and reviewed French aire info with Google maps and Streetview where available on our site here.

The link takes you to the page showing the aires on a Google map of France - you do need to be registered to see the details of the individual aires.

• 2 years later...

The French site www.campingcar-infos.com uses google maps now to locate the Aires including street view.

Its the most comprehensive list and not just for France as well.

I use this as well as the offline version, the POI for the sat nav from there and occasionally the Aires Book from Vicarious. You dont need anything else.

Archived