Mould cleaning and hook-up advice

CPeachey

There is no more danger from the CEE socket than from the feeder pillar socket.  If the hook up cables are properly wired, so that each cable is equipped with plug one end and socket the other, the risk is self-limiting.  As stated above they are only showerproof, not waterproof.  This means that a plug to socket cable join could become dangerous if left lying on the ground and the ground became waterlogged.  However, the risk is minimal, as the feeder is RCD protected.

The main risk, therefore, is the provenance of the RCD.  On a UK club site this should be regularly tested, but any mechanical device can fail.  Other sites may pay less stringent attention to frequent testing.  So, as is often the case, the risk itself is very, very, low indeed, but its potential consequences very, very, serious. 

What the warden was averting, correctly in my view, was the extremely remote possibility of someone else's child ending up dead because he turned a blind eye.  Whether that is "Health and Safety gone mad", being a "jobsworth", or merely proper, professional, care for his clients is a matter of opinion.

What we should perhaps ask ourselves is:

"Would prefer the clubs to appoint wardens willing to take chances with other people's safety", rather than:

"Is their attention to detail  occasionally irksome to us?

Big Momma - 2010-11-20 9:17 AM

We use a small kettle, not a travel kettle one that is slightly larger and provides enough water for two decent mugs of tea/coffee. We bought it off one of the Internet sites and I think it is 900w and was not expensive. It is about a third smaller in size than a normal domestic kettle so storage space is not an issue and when we are on site it does not take up an enormous amount of space on the kitchen unit.

That sounds exactly like the one we've got. :-D As a tip, if you find you need to make tea for 4 people but the kettle only holds enough for 2 mugs, boil it once then split the water between the 4 mugs with the teabags in, this lets is stew nicely whilst you put the kettle on again, by the time it's boiled a second time, just top up the cups and the tea is ready.

We tend to use the Grill for making our toast but do have a toastie machine for the Cheese and Ham toasted sandwiches which we enjoy as a snack for lunch.

We don't have a toasted sandwich maker, instead I use my double skillet which takes less time, can be used on the gas or on the electric hotplate I've got, and they are absolutely scrumptious, better than the proper toasted sarnie machines anyday. :D

Mel B - 2010-11-20 5:03 PM

We don't have a toasted sandwich maker, instead I use my double skillet which takes less time, can be used on the gas or on the electric hotplate I've got, and they are absolutely scrumptious, better than the proper toasted sarnie machines anyday. :D

What a totally sensible idea, never actually thought of that, many thanks :D

Archived