Possl panel van build video

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental
pelmetman - 2010-11-17 8:03 PM

Their quick workers :D

Germans for you....no recession there, a booming economy because they invest in their people *-)

Interesting video from which you will note that when driven on the track and off road, the step and probably the exhaust are most probably grounding. Look how close to the ground the centre of the vehicle is to the humps and the hill!

These vehicles should be fitted with 16 ins wheels.

I had to fit Airrides on mine in order to prevent the step and exhaust from grounding.

Guest JudgeMental

Mike the Hymer car 322 is worse as diesel heating really hangs low...new van (when they start making em:-S) have option of combi 4 gas heating.

the van in video is TOTR & has the body kit so looks worse then it is probably :-D

olley - 2010-11-17 11:04 PM

Seems to be very little wall insulation, is that common on PVC's?

Olley

There's earlier insulation-related discussion on

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=21287&start=1

As panel-vans are relatively narrow vehicles to begin with, there will inevitably be competition between adding insulation to the a PVC's interior surfaces and maximising interior space. Thin high-tech materials (like 3M's "Thinsulate") are expensive, while cheaper, more conventional 'foam-type' alternatives will be trickier to install and won't approach the thicknesses found in 'coachbuilt' motorhomes. (There's a useful chapter on insulating a motorcaravan in John Wickersham's book "Build your own Motorcaravan".

PVC's may be attractive for their narrowness and tougher steel bodywork, but it will be impracticable to provide them with the levels of insulation found in coachbuilt motorhomes designed to cope with really cold weather conditions. (And, of course, there are all those big draughty doors...)

Guest JudgeMental

reviews in Promobil tend to put thickness in different panel vans as from 10-12 mm up to 25mm depending on manufacturer. but this like Derek says is the high tech stuff not normal foam you get in a coachbuilt sandwich wall.

Adria show a piece of this sheet as being equivalent to a double skined brick wall in their literature

at Dusseldorf this year I was shown a piece of a van with multi layered close foam and inner skin sandwich.... looked pretty good to me (this was from Globecar/possl as well)

Obviously a panel van is not going to get near my Euramobil for winter comfort

Guest Peter James

Great Video, Thanks for posting.

JudgeMental - 2010-11-18 9:04 AM

thickness in different panel vans as from 10-12 mm up to 25mm depending on manufacturer.

You can put thick insulation in between the steel bracing struts no problem. But to make the insulation as good as a coachbuilt you would have to have thick insulation covering the whole wall and roof including the steel bracing struts. That would be like building a coachbuilt van inside a panel van.

Guest JudgeMental
colin - 2010-11-18 9:07 PM

pelmetman - 2010-11-17 8:03 PM

Their quick workers :D

I wish, Possl who also build Globecars are quoting march for my van thats 9 months from first order :-(

There are about 140 LHD Possl/Globecars in stock at dealers in Germany...

Archived