MOT Changes(Chipping)

johnnerontheroad

I once asked a mechanic about the 9 different settings on my Tunit box.

He said that I should start off with the middle setting and then keep moving it one position at a time until I was running with black smoke coming out of the exhaust. At that point, move it back one setting.

He reckons that each setting gives an improvement of about 5 Brake Horse.

I have just left mine as it was (middle setting).

While I would agree with Nicks post re chipping of vans his BMW bit is simply not correct. He may simply be just making a point here, does not make this clear. Anyone who thinks they can buy a basic, lets keep to BMW, and then simply chip it to turn the engine into an 'M' class is simply living in their own little dream world.

Rupert,

Actually I was careful to state that there would be significant differences, not least with the engine between the lowest and highest outputs of the same core engine. What I did suggest is that the middle ground of about 50% of the difference would be acheivable without major expense or compromising safety, and that 20% would pose no issues at all.

BMW was used as an example because it seems the most striking example of utilising one or two core engines for an entire range of vehicles. There are plenty of other manufacturers that do it but none so blatantly and with such huge differences in cost for what is essentially the same unit.

In any case, my examples were to reassure anyone that fancies a go at releasing hidden power that they have little to fear, and since the makers do it themselves it would be very difficult to detect, prove or rule as unlawful for the common or garden MOT tester.

As long as you don't get carried away; and for me that would be any more than 20% on the most modern engines and 10% on something a few years older or more 'leggy'.

I hope that explains my view more clearly.

Nick

OK Nick, it was just the one paragraph about BMW I was not agreeing with and still do not. However the main point was about reprograming and you are certainly correct about small power differances being easily achieved and if correctly done why not. However I feel with a modern motorhome what is the point, the X250 engine for example in both 2.2 and 2.3 configuration both have so much torque that unless you have a very heavy van it does not much matter. I drove both when I bought my last new van in 2008 and switched from the 2.3 down to the 2.2 because of the reverse gear thing after talking to Andy. Now my van is a small one 3300 kg max. and the differance in the engines was at that time 30bhp but I could barely feel the differance and the van pulled better than my old 2.8 Fiat of about the same weight.

Archived