Using my new C-tek charger, Is this OK?

deerhound

Got my new C-tek charger today and connected it up to starter battery on motorhome (I have not disconnected the engine battery) it is showing a charge. I have no mains connected and have the battery selector switch on control panel in middle setting ie Off, not on engine or leisure battery. Is this OK? according to instructions the engine battery does not need to be disconnected, but I am wondering if in effect I am trying to charge 2 batteries? The C-Tek instructions obviously do not mention anything about motorhomes. This is Swift Royale Ensign 590 2000yr.

If you connect your Ctek directly to your leisure battery(ies) then it will only charge that/them and not the engine battery unless you have a Battery master or similar device connected to trickle a small charge to the engine battery.

If you are charging your batteries prior to going away or just to keep them in good order while in storage then the charger should be set to "normal" mode. On this setting it will fully charge your batteries and then go into maintenance mode once they're full.

If you are using the CTEK as a PSU when on site with hookup then it should be set to "supply" mode where it will give a regulated 13.8 volts output at up to 7 Amps.

D.

Archived