dealers

yvonne 1875

yvonne 1875 - 2010-11-19 8:58 PM

could anybody recommend a good motorhome dearler as we are looking to buy next year we live in birmingham but dont mind traveling to find a good one

it will be our first one carnt wait

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Have you done any research into what is available ?

There are many different types.

If you just visit one or two dealers you are unlikely to see a very big range of motorhomes.

If you have not already done so I would suggest you visit at least one or two motorhome shows, such as the NEC or Peterborough shows.

It's a lot of money to part with so you need to take your time choosing.

There are motorhome builders who don't sell through dealers.

Good luck with the search - but take your time !

;-)

yvonne 1875 - 2010-11-19 9:16 PM

thanks have been to the nec many times we like the autotrails do you know if they are ok looked at loads

Ive had apache , dakota and chieftain over the years , all excellent i couldnt fault any of them , first class quality in everyone . Just gone to swift bolero compact , needed a much smaller van for every day use . ;-)

why go to a dealer? if you have no trade in, the mmm has loads of all types of vans and can save a fortune if decide on a particular model.this is a good time of year to buy private,and any niggles you find (and there are always niggles)will still save you shedloads of dosh.and you wont have to suffer dealer waffle.

yvonne 1875 - 2010-11-19 9:16 PM

thanks have been to the nec many times we like the autotrails do you know if they are ok looked at loads

Have you got any idea of the size of van you are looking for and the layout that would suit you and the type of usage e.g. Mainly UK Touring, European Touring or a combination of both and how long you would intend to be away in it at any one time ? This will all have a bearing on the type of things that you may want to consider about the vehicle you ultimately elect to purchase and would enable forum memberss to perhaps provide some more detailed advice and guidance.

Earlier ths year I traded in my Swift Kontiki 665 for a new Autotrail Comanche. I love our new vehicle because now,afer having 3 previous M'homes we have got exactly what we want for now and the future (Retirement). The one thing I would say from my own personal perspective is that the Swift interior was a better build quality than the Autotrail. However, the Autotrail is a high spec and very comfortable and we have no doubts that we could Fulltime or Long Term in it when the opportunity finally arrives ;-)

Hi Yvonne

Motorhomes are expensive and I would seriously recommend you try before you buy. Now is a good time of year to rent a motorhome and discover the down side of motorhoming in the cold and wet. There is a bit more to it than sitting in the shade of an awning in the middle of summer sippng a G&T!!

There are several companies that will rent out motorhomes and you may get a good deal at this time of year.

Good luck

SM

Hi We live in Birmingham which is not the greatest area for motorhome dealers. When we were looking we found an excellent dealer up the A41 towards Newport, Stafford Motor Homes I think. A wide choice of preowned vehicles very reasonably priced. We found Hayes very expensive. We also visit Geoff Cox in Belper which is only an hour away, not too much choice but good prices. We were goiong to buy from Stafford but got a "no brainer" at the NEC.

Hope this helps

Bob

Marquis at Great Billing are not a million miles away they have a good stock range and very good to deal with we bought from Marquis in late September and without a PX we negotiated a really good deal this being our 3rd motorhome check out their website they have some pre-registered models.

could anybody recommend a good motorhome dearler as we are looking to buy next year we live in birmingham but dont mind traveling to find a good one

Hi- You could look in at Don Amott at Hilton , head out along the A38 towards Derby. Although I have not bought from them they have always helped when looking at the different models, and have a heated showroom and also a large accessory shop of camping gear next door.

[/Also check out the Oaktree Motorhomes web site, which is out that way at Mansfield.QUOTE]

Stafford MotorHomes are on the A5 between Gailey Island and Weston.

With no part exchange you should be able to get a discount but I would seriously consider buying private.

Room(space) is at a premium in a motorhome and we have always purchased a model that is slightly bigger than our needs. ie if you want a 2 berth go for a 3/4 etc.

A particular bugbear with us is can you get to the loo at night without waking/moving your partner?

When you drive it, make sure you can give it a high speed run and you can keep up with the traffic.

There is nothing harder and more tiring than having to keep going up and down the gearbox to maintain progress.

In my experience a big engine driven within it's limits is far better than a small engine which is struggling. You might find that the MPG from the larger engine is not much different from the smaller one on a long run.

Whichever way you choose to go I would invest in a damp meter, it will pay for itself over and over. Most motorhomes have a covering of vinyl on the walls so make sure you get a meter with sharp "prongs" so you can get to the actual wallboard. I soldered two dressmaking pins to mine and it works a treat.

Very pleased with our Tracker EKS. I have sent you a PM which you can access by clicking on your inbox.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi We bought our van 4 1/2 years ago, and was going to buy second hand but the new prices gave a better deal. Got our van from Brownhills at Newark ( we also live in Birmingham) Brownhills have a great stopover site with swimming pool, restaurant, and super showrooms and service centre.. With the Brownhills card we can stay on site 20 nights per year free of charge, and never pressured us ever.. We went to the NEC in October this year and got a great deal again from Brownhills for our new Van, only lost 5K in all those years. OK we are buying a bigger van but still pleased with the deal.. Sounds like a plug for Brownhills, but just very happy custoimers. Can't wait for our Apache to arrive...

Archived