Someones Pride and Joy

kelly58

The other day I was travelling south on the AI north of Newark doing 60mph when an unregistered Hymer A Class passed me on trade plates going like stink and disappeared off into the distance , looks like some unforunate punter will be buying a well thrashed  " New " motorhome !!

I very much doubt it will make the slightest difference to the vehicle.  Beneath that svelte Hymer exterior is a rufty-tufty little truck, designed to be driven in that way all it life by someone with size 12 boots, and still be going after 100,000 + miles.  As the Judge says, it will probbaly do it the world of good!  Welly!  Welly!  Welly!  :-D

In my ignorance I had assumed that most of the 'vans to be exhibited at shows would have been delivered by trailer.

I was soon enlightened when I saw how may 'vans there were at my first show (a relatively small affair at Carmarthen).

However, after travelling home from the Peterborough show in April, I was horrified to see many 'vans on trade plates hammering down the outside lane of the M6 at what appeared to be well over the speed limit.

Perhaps the dealer's drivers should be known a "White Motorvan Men".

I'm with Eddie and Brian here. I'd rather see a motorhome (which is based on a "White Van" anyway!) being driven fast, than get stuck behind one whose driver thinks it's only designed to go at 42mph!

To judge from the way some motorhomers drive their "pride and joy" (it's a MACHINE - get over it!) those referred to on this thread might have been getting the one chance of their "lives" to function the way they were made to!

They may be built to be thrashed but get a 'blow out' at that speed and it may possible be the last thrash the driver ever has and his/her onboard pasengers let alone other road users unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I am not an advocate of the 40 mph 'trundle brigade' but speed awareness and safety should be the prime considerations not how good it is for the van !!

May or may not be good for the van, BUT I would want to be the one to decide that not some idiot delivering/ moving it. This is something I see regularly occuring on (and I don't know why) the A12 in Essex normally heading towards Colchester/ Ipswich direction and they are, usually, PVC's of a well known manufacturer "un" or "newly" registered and on trade plates.

I must admit for that very reason I would not buy one of their vans, yes I know all the others are probably treated similarly but it's a case of what the eye does not see......, it still means one potential customer (and I am one as our next van will be a PVC) they will never get!

Bas

Archived