Batteries

debutante

We have two problems relating to batteries and wondered if anyone had any tips.

Firstly: we have recently found that if the 'van is left standing for a few days, the leisure battery appears to be dead. However, if we hook it up to the mains, it seems to be ok within an hour or so. Is this a sign that we need a new battery?

Secondly: we have on several occasions, when trying to start up the 'van, found the vehicle battery is also dead and jump leads have been required. We had a new battery within the last six months to try to remedy this (we were told that one of the old battery's cells was faulty). But last week, we moved the van nearer to the house to load up and the next day the battery appeared to be flat, and again, jump leads were needed.

Neither my husband nor I are very technically-minded, though I recall from time to time reading letters in MMM about battery issues. (The word 'trickle' seems to crop up but I have no idea what this is all about)

Can anyone offer any suggestions to help a pair like us? We are aware that we can't do any real jobs ourselves, but at least we could take suggestions to the dealer.

Your batteries definately should not be going flat as quickly as this. It would appear to indicate that your bateries are drawing a charge even when your van is not in use so the first check would be to make sure that when you park your van up that the power is turned off. Check your power switch on your instrument panel, if you leave this on then anything that is connected to this power source e.g. lights, fridge, tv or satelite receivers etc if not turned off will be drawing power from your leisure batteries.

I have not used my van for over a fortnight now and all I do is every couple of weeks turn the engine over for 20-30 minutes or take it for a quick run. I am not technically minded but am sure that I have read somewhere that batteries tend to drain quicker in cold weather.

I am sure that more technicaly experienced memebrs will come back to you with answers or suggestions very soon.

It does not sount right to me either.

Yes modern vans have bad habbit of discharging batteries over a month or two but not as quick as you are suffering. Perhaps once you have got the van batteries charged again you can disconnect the negative of the leisure battery and put a digital ammeter in series. This will show the current flowing. Then with everything believed to be turned OFF you can check that the reading is ZERO. If its not then one by one pull the leisure circuit individual fuses to identify which curcuit is taking the amps. Then did deaper.

A similar excercise on the starter battery again with the ignition turned OFF.

You need to be aware that alarm and tracker systems take a small current all the time. Is this something you have had installed recently?

Good luck but take care.

C.

debutante - 2010-11-21 11:01 AM

Neither my husband nor I are very technically-minded,

Please, please, if you are not technically minded seek help. Batteries can be very dangerous, even just disconnecting one terminal can result in a serious accident. I have seen the results of the spanner being used touching the other terminal via the persons ring. The damage to the finger was nothing compared to the back injury as the person was thrown about inside the vehicle. Once seen never forgoten!

Keep safe Terry

Hi, Firstly how old is the van? How long have you had it, and when did you first notice the problem. How long has it been parked up with no hookup. I assume that you do have a hookup? Is the van's charger switched on and working when hookup power is connected. Is your hookup giving mains to the van.

Is there a facility to check the acid levels in the habitation battery, or is it a sealed battery. Do you know what the habitation battery rating is, and is it a proper leisure battery. Is it easily accessible to be able to measure its voltage when you think everything is switched off in the van.

Have you had a period of freezing weather recently, how long, and when.

To check the engine battery, an easy first check is to switch on Headlights after dark, and then try to start the engine. Do the headlights go very dim whilst cranking the engine, or does engine start almost straight away. If lights dim significantly, it suggests engine battery is sick or not getting any charge. When did you last go for a run in the van?

Are you sure that all things in cab and habitation area are switched off (cab radio, TV or aerial amplifier or satellite box, pump, lights, heater,and nothing plugged in cigarette socket or 12 volt sockets in habitation area.

As Clive asked, do you have a security alarm powered from the leisure battery, Probably not wise to answer that, but checkit anyway if there is one.

If all else fails, get the local garage to do a battery test on both batteries (van and habitation) and see what they report.

I have recently had to replace my habitation battery for similar strange problems, and cant find any excess drain, so have concluded that the battery is on the way out. Sadly they dont last forever.

If you only have limited technical knowledge, I guess you might have to resort to the dealership for help, but you could look for a local auto electrician in yellow pages or local free ads.

If you were nearer, I would be willing to do a preliminary checkout, but I am near Ringwood. A long way to travel perhaps.

tonyg3nwl

Archived