what is the latest on sat domes?

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

which is consideed the best? with the lowest height? as some like the glomex thingy betray it routes from boats and a bit to high looking for a camper IMO...

I am hoping to change to a van based camper very soon so looking for the smartest/lowest as well as best featured dome please.... :-D

Guest JudgeMental
Madmaggott - 2010-11-21 2:28 PMWe are also looking at this and the more we research the more confused we get so I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Thats the trouble the more you look the more confusing it gets *-)

We have the camos sat dome on our van conversion and we wouldn't be without it.

We bought it in june before a 3 week trip to luxenbourg,germany and northern france. Never had a problem in any of these countries.

At the moment we are in the murcian district of spain and again no problems we are even getting itv!!!

Very easy system to use and at a reasonable price we paid just under £1000 some of the others tracvision etc are over £1500.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide on B-)

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks Dave and Anne, which model have you got? and what receiver do you use?

Was thinking I might need a twin LNB model?*-) to use a sky box with card to pick up encrypted channels in Spain etc.... :-S

JudgeMental - 2010-11-21 2:18 PM

which is consideed the best? with the lowest height? as some like the glomex thingy betray it routes from boats and a bit to high looking for a camper IMO...

I am hoping to change to a van based camper very soon so looking for the smartest/lowest as well as best featured dome please.... :-D

We also have a CAMOS Dome. Although they do look bulky as opposed to the folding dish type the advantage I find is that the dome is not affected by strong winds. The dish variety may well need to be 'put away' in strong winds *-)

Camos 400mm Dome with Pace 12V Sky receiver. Works well, occasionally we have to put the stabilisers down in windy weather as the Camos loses its lock on the satellite.

If I was starting afresh the only thing I would change is the receiver. I would get a small multi satellite receiver with the ability to record / playback recordings via USB. The receiver could be used at home on a motorised dish if wanted. Increasing the number of satellites gives a wider range of programmes, FreeSat has all the channels we need.

I do not know if the footprint of FreeSat is the same as Sky,

Rgds

Guest JudgeMental

Maybe on a panel van a square type "lay flat" dish would look better?

any thoughts on the "Kathrein CAP 610 Automatic Satellite System" or any alternatives please?

Hi Judge

You have to consider what you are going to do:

If you are staying in the same place (typically in southern Spain) for a month or so then you will need a large, two metre plus, static dish and a few breeze blocks and then spend a couple of hours setting it up. This will give you all UK freeview and SKY channels(with a decoder).

If you want to move on each day or so then you need an automatic searching system, which includes the Camos dome, but you could have a larger dish such as the Alden - and you could also have satellite internet, though this is a bit wind sensitive.

The most accurate system, because it has its own GPS reciever, is the Kathrein, and this will pick up signals the others can't.

If you want to recieve satellite TV in any weather, then the Camos dome is for you, though it only has a small dish and won't work much beyond the Spanish border.

You decide what best fits, pays your money and takes your choice.

P&L

We have the Camos and find it very good and very quick but once below Barcelona the bbc type channels start to drop off

We have used the sky decoder and a free sat box (12 volt) but both performance of both boxes are more or less the same

Judge

You mentioned recently on another thread you intended visiting Benidorm for lengthy periods. That being the case a dome is not much use as you will receive very little.

Even with a 65cms Teleco auto system all I was able to receive beyond Benicassim on Astra 2 was Sky News, True Movies plus a couple of other rubbish channels. You can also receive a few - very few - channels on Astra1 and Hotbird but none of these are worth watching.

You should also note that in Benidorm most of the sites have TV piped to the pitch giving you BBC, ITV and Channels 4 and 5.

JudgeMental - 2010-11-21 4:45 PM

Maybe on a panel van a square type "lay flat" dish would look better?

any thoughts on the "Kathrein CAP 610 Automatic Satellite System" or any alternatives please?[/quote

The square dishes/panels give the equivalent of a much larger dish so a good compact solutions. Domes tend to only have 40/45cm dishes OK in UK & northern France.

Guest JudgeMental

thanks lenny...any more info of square /flat dishes then please. what are the best ones, and what are they equivilent to in a normal dish size wise (reception)

Is Dave N still offering free fitting! :-D

JudgeMental - 2010-11-21 10:41 PM

thanks lenny...any more info of square /flat dishes then please. what are the best ones, and what are they equivilent to in a normal dish size wise (reception)

Is Dave N still offering free fitting! :-D

Hi Judge, yes free fitting is still on offer on Camos domes till the end of December. ;-)

D.

The long term usability of these products (as well as any dish) for receiving English sat TV on the continent may be suspect. Astra plan to launch new satellites from early 2012 to replace the existing ones. It is reported that the transponders fitted will more tightly focus the signal on the UK making reception a lot more difficult on the continent.

Guest JudgeMental
I have an old sky box that my sister gave me and I got the card for it....so was thinking a twin LND model would be best. and use this and a a freeview box together...would that give a better chance of picking up more UK channels? :-S

Guest JudgeMental
thebishbus - 2010-11-22 4:17 PM

Hi . I think the judge means a twin LNB, with a Sky box and a Freesat receiver.

Brian B.

yes thats whsat i though i said as I am sure I headrd that you cant get some encripted \uk stuff without the sky box so 2 recievers the best bet..

but the Kat 610 had ists own box *-) so maybe a dome better :-S

?????? Let's start again. I think you intend to supplement your "old" Skybox with a free to air box such as those you can pick up cheaply from Maplin.

Your Skybox will enable you to receive programmes from the Astra2 satellite and the free to air box will enable you to pick up programmes from Astra 2 as well as other satellites including Astra1 and Hotbird.

For such an arrangement you only need one LNB; you do not need two LNBs which was the reason for my question.

I am unsure why you think a dome is better because the Kat 610 has its own receiver. That receiver will probably be the equivalent of a free to air box so you could then piggy back the Sky box to it. Alternatively, if you don't want a system with a receiver you could opt for an Oyster or Teleco system for example.

I've a Teleco system on my panel van linked to a Skybox and free to air box; it sits very flat to the roof and is unobtrusive.

Mike88 - 2010-11-21 7:27 PM

Judge

You mentioned recently on another thread you intended visiting Benidorm for lengthy periods. That being the case a dome is not much use as you will receive very little.

Even with a 65cms Teleco auto system all I was able to receive beyond Benicassim on Astra 2 was Sky News, True Movies plus a couple of other rubbish channels. You can also receive a few - very few - channels on Astra1 and Hotbird but none of these are worth watching.

If you have a Sky box and viewing card, you can pick up a lot of UK channels like ITV/C4/C5 with a 65cm dish, all over Spain.

Depending where your viewing card is registered you may not get them on the normal EPG, but have to use the 'other channels' facility.

Archived